The Svechnikov Brothers

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If ever this doesn't work out, maybe make it so Evgeny can play with Andrei on the team the latter is drafted to.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There is a part of me that would be okay with this. I want a D-man, but Andrei is a special talent. For me he is a superstar winger following in the footsteps of a couple of his countrymen in Tarasenko and Kovalchuk. Those are the guys he reminds me of, guy is a tank with a lethal release and is dripping with hockey IQ. In particular I think of Kovalchuk given his ability to play in all situations.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly it's a lot more realistic that we trade Evgeny to the team that drafts Andrei. I'm not even sure what the ask would look like considering how inconsistent he's been in the AHL, but hopefully we could get a premium because of the brothers angle.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
If wings draft outside the lottery picks Andrei should tell teams he would only play in Detroit :sarcasm:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is a part of me that would be okay with this. I want a D-man, but Andrei is a special talent. For me he is a superstar winger following in the footsteps of a couple of his countrymen in Tarasenko and Kovalchuk. Those are the guys he reminds me of, guy is a tank with a lethal release and is dripping with hockey IQ. In particular I think of Kovalchuk given his ability to play in all situations.

Hossa?

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'd much rather draft a player like Brady Tkachuk. Someone that provides some more grit and tenacity, but with a scoring touch (Power Forward). The wings are lacking this right now. Too many soft players at forward. We need to add some grit to the speed we have. Having said that, this would be a good draft to take the BPA approach and then make a trade or trade up and down to get what is needed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd much rather draft a player like Brady Tkachuk. Someone that provides some more grit and tenacity, but with a scoring touch (Power Forward). The wings are lacking this right now. Too many soft players at forward. We need to add some grit to the speed we have. Having said that, this would be a good draft to take the BPA approach and then make a trade or trade up and down to get what is needed.

Svechnikov is not the least bit soft.

Last edited:

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Svechnikov is not the least bit soft.

Not disputing. Just want more grit, under the fingernails, instigating type player like Tkachuk. Just a personal preference, not a knock on Svech who IMO is a very good player. Wasn't insinuating he was soft, but some current wings are.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd be ecstatic if we drafted Andrei, he's quite the hockey talent.

Prefer a great D man but these forwards projected top 5 are all really good. I'd be happy with any of them.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not disputing. Just want more grit, under the fingernails, instigating type player like Tkachuk. Just a personal preference, not a knock on Svech who IMO is a very good player. Wasn't insinuating he was soft, but some current wings are.

So your still on that wagon huh? Thought we were done with that

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Depends on where we pick.

For me rankings are

1. Dahlin
2. Little svech.

So if dahlin is available we get him no matter what. But if we pick second or later and svech is still there? I'd take him. Defense is always a gamble to draft, just dahlin appears to be the next great one.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Going with Grit over skill. Especially when the skill has grit (svechnikov). Both are skilled but I’ll take the one with more.

I just think they could use more Tkachuk type players. Mantha being comparable by style to Svechnikov. Bertuzzi being comparable by style to Tkachuk. Both would make a great addition to the Red Wings. I just like style-wise what a player like Tkachuk brings to a team; especially one that needs that style. Would I be disappointed if they got a crack at Svechnikov and picked him over Tkachuk, H-E---double hockey sticks NO! I'd be elated if they got either of those players.

EDIT. PS--though, they do have another grit guy in Smith.

Reactions: Bruce Joker

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just think they could use more Tkachuk type players. Mantha being comparable by style to Svechnikov. Bertuzzi being comparable by style to Tkachuk. Both would make a great addition to the Red Wings. I just like style-wise what a player like Tkachuk brings to a team; especially one that needs that style. Would I be disappointed if they got a crack at Svechnikov and picked him over Tkachuk, H-E---double hockey sticks NO! I'd be elated if they got either of those players.

Mantha is way more of a finesse player than Svechnikov is. I do agree that Tkachuk is meaner/nastier, but Svechnikov enjoys the phsycial part of the game too.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I just watched Svechnikov at the USA hockey arena when Russia played USA last Friday. He plays with an edge, has an unbelievable hockey IQ, and I didn't notice anyone else on that line. He had 1 goal and I think 3 assists? (Could have been 1g 2a). Either way, he was calm with the puck, strong on the boards and always made the right play. If we didn't need a Rasmus Dahlin so badly right now I would say trade to get Lil Svech at any cost. He is going to be very good. It was mentioned about Tarasenko/Kovalchuk and that to me is a spot on. (FWIW, I'd lean a little more towards Tank tho) Plus, he basically came out and said he wants to play with his brother. Get it done! I would be equally as happy for our team if we managed to pull either Dahlin or Svechnikov.

Side note: Svechnikov was the only player in that game that was better than Jack Hughes. That guy is going to be legit player too. Nice hands, shifty, fast.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I'm calling it now wing's pick Zadina 2nd overall.
Lol. He seems to be a very similar prospect but I like that the brothers Svechnikov are physical. I haven't seen much of that from Zadina in what little I have seen (WJC, yt highlights and reports).

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Lol. He seems to be a very similar prospect but I like that the brothers Svechnikov are physical. I haven't seen much of that from Zadina in what little I have seen (WJC, yt highlights and reports).
Weren't you were Jan Mursak's biggest fan? Why are you talking about physical play? I can't compute!

I just figure if most fans here want Svechnikov, you know they will take Zadina. Not my preference as I haven't got to see much of Svechnikov, but I have seen enough of the older brother to leave him 100% out of the equation.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Weren't you were Jan Mursak's biggest fan? Why are you talking about physical play? I can't compute!

I just figure if most fans here want Svechnikov, you know they will take Zadina. Not my preference as I haven't got to see much of Svechnikov, but I have seen enough of the older brother to leave him 100% out of the equation.
Biggest Mursak fan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad