Post-Game Talk: The Streak Lives - **** f*** the league

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is the closest to my reaction.

I gutted it out and ended up watching the game anyway. Wasn't sure how I would stomach it. heh, set the PVR for an added 15mins and the game took so long to play my recording still cutout just as regulation time ended. just watched the disallowed goal now. So that I still hadn't seen OT or the shootout. What a BS call. Worse that this came from the Toronto decision room. In defense to the clowns on the ice this wasn't even their call. So that we have this made by some unseen idiots in a Toronto war room.

I'll be frank here too. This is nothing other than Troll abdudication by the league. Those that realize Canadian dynamics will first wonder why any league would put its war room in Toronto. Should be a neutral site and preferably one that doesn't mock the rest of Canada and seek to be American every day of the week.

Next you have the premiere player in hockey, its Michael Jordan, and its OT and he's just gone down on a break and electrified. The goal scored, the game over. Crowd ecstatic, given something to cheer for and then suddenly its this bs. Its this challenge thing on the weakest of challenges. Coming from the Flames this is at best a sarcastic "we'll try it, what is there to lose challenge" So they roll the dice and they somehow Win the challenge and the NHL that wants goals takes back an actual goal on a hilite play and wash it from the record. From the War room in Toronto where this upstart Kid named McDavid can't be better than anything they got, nah, lets bring him down a peg any chance we get.

What a joke this league is.

Flames didn't challenge it though. Every goal scored in the last minute or OT is automatically reviewed by the league.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he had time to reset, why wasn't he reset?
He was reset.
He see Strome, pushes over and raises his glove and misses the shot. If Strome scored into a wide open net, sure. But the goalie missed the shot. If he moves his hand slightly differently, he makes the save.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
QV2f2Yw.gif
Imagine if that glove was off. You'd be seeing him giving the refs the finger.:D

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He was reset.
He see Strome, pushes over and raises his glove and misses the shot. If Strome scored into a wide open net, sure. But the goalie missed the shot. If he moves his hand slightly differently, he makes the save.

Gonna disagree with you here. The contact was enough IMO to drag him out of position and keep him from getting back in time.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's almost like the league hesitates making calls on guys that foul McDavid, otherwise they'd be looking like they're favouring the wonderkid. And if they called them like they should, the Oilers would probably be on the PP half the game. (Which would be good for at least 3-4 scoring chances.:D)

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
If this had been the criteria for a goalie interference call all along, sure, I'd take that. But considering multiple events in last years playoffs it's abundantly clear that nobody really knows what goalie interference actually is, including those reviewing it. It's like it's a case-per-case basis where it depends entirely on the mood of the refs or people reviewing the calls in Toronto (of all places) who are obviously 100% unbiased and don't have a team they cheer for....
The Perry and Kessler vs Talbot incidents should've set the precedent last year, obvious calls, but because those goals are allowed then clearly last nights goal should be a good goal.. As far as I know nothing in the rule book has changed. It's just sloppy, unprofessional and completely inconsistent. Fix it if you don't want players chirping the refs, because they have every right to be pissed off.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Gonna disagree with you here. The contact was enough IMO to drag him out of position and keep him from getting back in time.

I've rewatched it multiple times and you can CLEARLY see Rittich stand up, look over and see Strome shooting the puck so he tries to get over and missed. He had time to make the save AND he got back up. That was a BRUTAL call and you know for a FACT that if Calgary had scored in OT the EXACT same way it wouldn't have even been reviewed and our night would've ended early than it did.

Reactions: nabob

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
For me, it's not so much this call, but after being punted from the playoffs by a far more flagrant crease foul by Kesler, I'm questioning everything this league does when it comes to calling a proper game.

Yep. If you showed both plays to an unbiased person and asked them which one was goaltender interference, the answer would be clear. Unquestionably clear.
But...

The NHL says the opposite.

According to the rule the right call was made last night. Never mind time to reset, never mind that the goalie took himself out of the play playing McDavid.
Doesn’t matter.
McDavid made contact in the crease and wasn’t pushed in.
That’s it.
Black and white.

Seems like this is where reviews lead us. Because of that one ridiculous missed off side.

Last edited:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The Flames are having career years from Gaudreau, Monohan, Mike Smith, Tkachuk is playing great, etc, They are still barely in the playoffs and are 10 points up. Lots of loser points as well. Hope they have false hope and make some more dumb trades with draft picks.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The Flames are having career years from Gaudreau, Monohan, Mike Smith, Tkachuk is playing great, etc, They are still barely in the playoffs and are 10 points up. Lots of loser points as well. Hope they have false hope and make some more dumb trades with draft picks.

They've already gutted a good deal of their future for whatever... this... is. They just need to trade Oliver "Lidkarlsalming" Kylington and Dillon Dube to complete the unraveling of their (overrated) farm system.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yep. If you showed both plays to an unbiased person and asked them which one was goaltender interference, the answer would be clear. Unquestionably clear.
But...

The NHL says the opposite.

According to the rule the right call was made last night. Never mind time to reset, never mind that the goalie took himself out of the play playing McDavid.
Doesn’t matter.
McDavid made contact in the crease and wasn’t pushed in.
That’s it.
Black and white.

Seems like this is where reviews lead us. Because of that one ridiculous missed off side.
Actually it looked like he was pushed by Gudreau which increased his momentum as he cut in. Yet, Tkachuck is allowed to fling himself onto our goalie as soon as he feels pressure and it's not a penalty? The NHL should just shut it's mouth they continue to embarrass themselves at every turn.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It’s been a few days and there were other distractions in that game but did the media ever ask Mclellan why Letestu was a healthy scratch? I was so looking forward to his answer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It’s been a few days and there were other distractions in that game but did the media ever ask Mclellan why Letestu was a healthy scratch? I was so looking forward to his answer.

Me too! Letestu being scratched was a much bigger surprise than us having a 100% legit goal called back on a bullshit review.

How does a player go from being the most relied upon player by the coach to being a healthy scratch. It's almost like Todd was hoping we got blown out and the he could say "Well clearly Letestu isn't part of the problem". Instead the PK was great and the PP, while it didn't score, was dangerous and had zone time.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Why was TMacs favorite go to guy, a healthy scratch... Seems a bit odd, did he do a bad job of shining Todd's shoes...

Would guess an order from above. He's killing more with each game he plays now. Gotta hide the truth as much as possible now while we try to trade him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Bettman actually warned the league about all of this replay stuff when it was brought up and they needed to tone it down as it would open up various cans of worms, but the BOGs voted to have them go ahead with it. And now, they have exactly what they voted for.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bettman gets a lot of flack, but decades after he's retired he will be remembered as one of the best commissioners of the league.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reactions: McFuhryous

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Bettman actually warned the league about all of this replay stuff when it was brought up and they needed to tone it down as it would open up various cans of worms, but the BOGs voted to have them go ahead with it. And now, they have exactly what they voted for.
I think they voted to have a second chance to make a good call because the game is too fast sometimes. They didn't vote to have refs screw over certain teams they don't want to proceed in the playoffs, or to completely change their opinion on what constitutes goaltender interference based on which player/team is involved.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I am not a conspiracy believer when it comes to refereeing in the NHL. I believe that over time all teams will have their fair share of blown calls by the refs.

That being said, after the debacle in last years second round with the Oilers, I do believe a merit system, tougher than the one in place now should be implemented. The way it is right now certain refs and linesmen are picked to move forward during the playoffs. I don't know what that would look like but the league has to come to the realization that some of their refs are for whatever reason just not good at their jobs. Take the nut shot Maroon took a couple of weeks back...in what world is that not a penalty? The ref was in a perfect position to see it, I assume he saw it and did nothing. Last year Gaudreau was getting slashed all the time, usually without any calls. To the point where his hand was broken. Look at how many times McDavid is slashed, hooked, interfered with again with minimal penalties being called.

Obviously the league has all the games recorded. They should have people in place to evaluate the ref's performance. Either that or get rid of the fines they levy when someone speaks out against shoddy work by the refs. I am not a fan of what Calgary did last year when they met with the league over their perceived bias by the refs, but reffing did improve towards them afterwards so I guess one can't argue with the results.

I get it that refs are human and make mistakes, but I keep thinking about that nut shot Maroon took and there is no rational way to explain that away. The seemed to be wilful disregard.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad