The Streak is Wrong: 9-1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
Honestly, I bet DSP could play a better game in Semin's role than Semin, and Semin could play a stronger game than he has on the 4th line.

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
Nope he can't we tried him last year in the playoffs and it did not work. The guy has no hand.

At least he can bring some speed and crash hard and be a lot more of a presence in the offensive zone. He just needs to be in the right spot to get feeds from Galchenyuk which Semin is too slow/floaty to pull off it seems like. DSP fights for his spots.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Nope he can't we tried him last year in the playoffs and it did not work. The guy has no hand.

Two years ago he put up 27 goals in 55 AHL games plus 7 more in 31 NHL games(regular season and playoffs). His hands are not the issue, he just isn't a creative player, but he could be a guy like Weise that can put 15 playing on a line with 2 skill guys plus also work the corners and forecheck.

If Semin sits, I would try DSP with Galchenyuk and Eller and Byron with Mitchell and Flynn.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Two years ago he put up 27 goals in 55 AHL games plus 7 more in 31 NHL games(regular season and playoffs). His hands are not the issue, he just isn't a creative player, but he could be a guy like Weise that can put 15 playing on a line with 2 skill guys plus also work the corners and forecheck.

If Semin sits, I would try DSP with Galchenyuk and Eller and Byron with Mitchell and Flynn.

I say he could get a couple games. He's physical, and can dig ppucks out. Also, he can keep up and goes to the net. He honestly can't do any worse than Semin has the last couple games. Moving Semin down to the DD line may work for him as well.

We'll see what kind of lines come out after MT puts them into his yatzee cup and shakes them up

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Still would love to upgrade DD and Emelin.....

Time to make a few line-up changes.

Bryon will replace Semin

Pateryn will replace Gilbert

Tinordi will replace Emelin

and DD will NEVER start on a PP.:handclap:
Why would DD never start on a PP? You realize he usually starts the PP only when Max's line is the one that drew it?

Desharnais has the best PP production rate on the team this season. And last season, I think he was still one of the highest despite being the "net presence" on most PPs.

Yes, but what do you suggest?

If people want to solely blame Semin they are out to lunch. He hasn't been good but Eller isn't exactly a top line player either.

That line had the 'chemistry' aspect going but now it's not working.

I'm not sure what I'd do. Maybe DSP.

Would swapping centers work too? Galchenyuk and DD I mean.
Why would you take Desharnais away from Flash? I think both players work fantastic together.

You could try Desharnais on wing, I guess and use Flash-Galchy-DD - but then you completely kill the offense on the third line. Personally, I'd just work through it. It's one loss. If anything, you could swap Semin and Weise.. but I don't think that really improves Galcehnyuk's line, unless you want to promote Smith-Pelly and see what he can bring. Weise isn't bringing enough 2-way play to the third line though. Flash and Eller are our best two way wingers in the middle-6.

I wouldn't be worrying about offense yet.

I find Galchenyuk to be more of a hindrance on that line than Semin. Eller is playing a solid two way game at least.

DD is outplaying both Eller and Galch, that's really sad.
Eller is playing good hockey. He's not the offensive dynamo some people thought, but he's a very good two way player. He's a fantastic forechecker which is why he should stay in his role.

Well, it's something that can be worked on. Unlike DD's shortcomings.
DD's biggest shortcoming was quite clearly taking things for granted. He hasn't this year, and it legitimately looks like he's having fun out there.

did I see DD take a draw with Chucky on the wing for a powerplay faceoff in the offensive zone?
Possibly. Did Galchenyuk get booted? Maybe it was on Chucky's bad side?

Desharnais was a beast on PP faceoffs last year (and for his whole career, IIRC). Not so hot this year, but the sample size is tiny.

Yes. If I'm not mistaken they've been doing that for most of the season.
Nope. Desharnais has taken 5 PP faceoffs in 10 games. Galchenyuk has taken 19. Eller has taken 8, so maybe that's what you were thinking since Eller did that in 9 minutes.

Gave up on the game, when they made it 3-0 and DD's role was to lose the face off and then lose his man, who eventually scored in the slot.......why can't MT see this stuff? :shakehead

9-1 and a great start, but the boys really let Price down last night....
Lots of players didn't play their best last night. That happens every game with multiple different players. The DD stuff is ridiculous at this point. Galchenyuk lost his man badly on the first goal. So what? It happens. It no doubt happens more when you have Carey Price in net.

Pacioretty and Plekanec were extra invisible yesterday. Especially Pacioretty.

Semin is awful. He's always a step behind the other 2 on his line.

The 4th line was the best line last night, consistently bringing effort every shift.

Desharnais line offensively creating so many chances, but also had a couple of blunders that cost goals.

But lines 3 and 4 were head and shoulders above line 1 and 2 last night...That can't happen (you get blown like they did when it does).
I honestly haven't liked Semin much, but I don't think he knows what to do. He's got benched a few times for plays where he had no option. I remember a cycle where he gave the puck away and led to a goal, but he had no support whatsoever. He was benched the next shift. Literally there was nothing he could do with two guys on him. He moved the puck down but Eller was too far behind the net.

Semin needs to shoot more too. I think Eller works fine with him because Eller can create space. But I think Semin would benefit from being more of a "me-guy." Galchenyuk does that himself right now. Semin could work on the first line, maybe since both Plekanec and Pacioretty create a lot of their goals themselves. Gallagher could maybe spark Galchenyuk too.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I wonder why that line is having trouble?:laugh: It's enough with this Semin experiment. No amount of coaching will change the fact he has no gas in the tank. I'm sure we have somebody in the minors that deserves a shot. Habs are better off starting to groom a player in that role right now so he's ready for the playoffs because Semin sure as hell won't be in that role come playoff time.

I totally agree with that. There is still lots of room for experiments with kids until the playoffs, and the trade deadline for that matter.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Stevenson did well in the AHL too.

If Semin sits i would try Hudon way before any of our bottom 6 grinders.

Hudon has yet to see a single game in the NHL. Would be time for him to get a try.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
DSP should get 2-3 games in Semin spot IMO, he truly don't have hands but at least he will keep up with the speed of Galchenyuk. Also, he has a great hockey IQ and a big shot so he can totally be good with AG.

This being said, i don't care about the streak, we won't talk about it when we win the stanley cup in June

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Semin was fine, my god you guys. Do you not remember having Dale Weise in that spot last year? Rene Bourque?

You guys need to ****ing relax. It's 10 games into the season and they're 9-1. You guys are sounding like Therrien taking Galchenyuk away from centre after going 9-2-1.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
The Eller - AG - Semin line has 5 goals 5on5. The Max - Plek - Gally line has 7 goals 5on5. Maybe we're over-reacting?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
The lines should stay as-is, at least for a few more games.

Eller-Galchenyuk-Semin looked great pre-season and has shown flashes here and there. I think switching up the lines (at the first sign of trouble) was one of the biggest complaints last year, and now many are asking for it?

We're 9-1, the rails have fallen off slightly in the past 2 games but let's be honest, we don't have a great option for 2RW....

Ideally a trade should be made to fix this, otherwise I wan't to see more than 10 games with Semin in the top 6.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Advanced NHL scouting would ultimately figure out the best way to beat the Habs and over the past 3 games we have seen the Habs play very ordinary hockey.
Now we get to see if the Habs coaching staff can adjust....

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The lines should stay as-is, at least for a few more games.

Eller-Galchenyuk-Semin looked great pre-season and has shown flashes here and there. I think switching up the lines (at the first sign of trouble) was one of the biggest complaints last year, and now many are asking for it?

We're 9-1, the rails have fallen off slightly in the past 2 games but let's be honest, we don't have a great option for 2RW....

Ideally a trade should be made to fix this, otherwise I wan't to see more than 10 games with Semin in the top 6.

Kassian had a great opportunity and he blew it....sad

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Not happy that we lost, but happy that this whole streak thing is now behind us. Unnecessary pressure early in the season.

As the season progress, it seems like the early season dominance may have only been temporary. It feels like we're falling back to old habits.

Carey The Habs

Sep 18, 2015
I was at the game.

Lots of bad bounces I thought Montreal actually played alright offensively.

Why Beaulieu tries to block a shot 4 feet in front of Price is beyond me. Love the kid but that's an average save if he doesn't tip it.

Cucky needs to wake up I am starting to lose faith. 1 good game then 5 bad ones is getting old semin or no semin on his line. Speaking of Semin he's absolute garbage. I was a fan but seeing how lazy he is live and up close is disgusting to watch. So tentative and zero confidence.

So many fluke goals by Vancouver but they were opportunistic. Feel bad for Carey and Gally.

Bright side is that I met seen PK before the game and he made some kids day.

wow I wasn't drunk or anything last night :laugh:

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
The only changes I'd like to see in the line-up:

Pateryn in - Gilbert out
Byron in - Flynn out

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I just wanna make sure about one thing.

All those people wanting to shake up the line-up: are you guys serious? We won 9 games in a row, now we lose 1 and we should shake it all up? For what?

I say we keep the line-up as is, it's shown results so far. If things continue to suck for a couple of games maybe change something, but it's just 1 loss. 1.

We used to complain about Carbo, back in the day, because he always changed the lines, he never kept players together for more than a couple of games. Can't we just try to bring some stability to the team and make guys build up some chemistry, instead of going all ape**** because we lost one single game?

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
The only changes I'd like to see in the line-up:

Pateryn in - Gilbert out
Byron in - Flynn out

In fact, if there was a single change in the line-up that I wouldn't mind all that much about (considering my previous post, the one I just posted), it would be this.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just wanna make sure about one thing.

All those people wanting to shake up the line-up: are you guys serious? We won 9 games in a row, now we lose 1 and we should shake it all up? For what?

I say we keep the line-up as is, it's shown results so far. If things continue to suck for a couple of games maybe change something, but it's just 1 loss. 1.

We used to complain about Carbo, back in the day, because he always changed the lines, he never kept players together for more than a couple of games. Can't we just try to bring some stability to the team and make guys build up some chemistry, instead of going all ape**** because we lost one single game?

I would make changes, it's a long season and rotating players into the lineup shouldn't be a bad thing. Pateryn and Tinordi need ice time, Gilbert hasn't been very good imo, so I don't see the harm in giving Pateryn a game or two to see how he does.

Flynn has been hit hard a few times already, why not give him a night off and give Byron a chance to show what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad