The Streak is Wrong: 9-1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Semin & Beaulieu need to sit. Semin almost cost us the Leafs game. The guy's too slow for the NHL. It was worth a shot, but the guy is done. At least Byron should bring some speed and energy to the Chucky line.

I still can't believe Nate tipped in that 2nd goal. You have the best goalie in the world behind you and you try to use your stick? Let him make the save. He's giving the puck over too much, is overly aggressive at the other blueline. Really needs to up his consistency.

Pateryn or Tinner in next game, or both because Gilbert sucks too.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The Galchenyuk line has been the worst of the 4 lines for quite some time now. I'm not really sure what the issue is with them.. Is it a lack of chemistry? Confidence? Who knows. Semin hasn't been good but I don't think it's fair for people to only blame him. The line just isn't clicking.

The only change that Therrien can realistically make is Byron for Semin. He can't start messing with the other lines just yet. And on D he can maybe swap Pateryn and Gilbert. Anyways, let's not get crazy. It's only one loss. :laugh:

You can tell that Galchenyuk is still adjusting to the C position. On breakouts, especially when the puck gets cycled back, he's not putting himself in great positions to receive an outlet pass. Since he rarely is able to receive an early outlet pass he's rarely able to skate the puck through the neutral zone with speed, which he needs to do if he wants to be effective. He's also (still) not moving his feet enough, with or without the puck.

mobifree

Cellphone Unlocker
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
www.mobifree.net
Pacioretty and Plekanec were extra invisible yesterday. Especially Pacioretty.

Semin is awful. He's always a step behind the other 2 on his line.

The 4th line was the best line last night, consistently bringing effort every shift.

Desharnais line offensively creating so many chances, but also had a couple of blunders that cost goals.

But lines 3 and 4 were head and shoulders above line 1 and 2 last night...That can't happen (you get blown like they did when it does).

RussCourtnallsGhost

Jul 10, 2006
Montreal
Good run, boys! Lots of bad bounces tonight; could've played better but not the disaster that the scoreboard showed.

One worrying thing: why is Desharnais our first line centre again? Had more ice-time than Plekanec and Galchenyuk. Not cool.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
With a bit more luck, we could win that game. It was an entertaining game with a lot of scoring chances for both sides.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Good run, boys! Lots of bad bounces tonight; could've played better but not the disaster that the scoreboard showed.

One worrying thing: why is Desharnais our first line centre again? Had more ice-time than Plekanec and Galchenyuk. Not cool.
Gave up on the game, when they made it 3-0 and DD's role was to lose the face off and then lose his man, who eventually scored in the slot.......why can't MT see this stuff? :shakehead

9-1 and a great start, but the boys really let Price down last night....

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I watched the 1st.

The one thing I dislike about our play is the amount of times we ice the puck.

There were some good chances in the 1st, some crappy bounces. Hopefully they get back on the horse tomorrow.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Pacioretty and Plekanec were extra invisible yesterday. Especially Pacioretty.

Semin is awful. He's always a step behind the other 2 on his line.

The 4th line was the best line last night, consistently bringing effort every shift.

Desharnais line offensively creating so many chances, but also had a couple of blunders that cost goals.

But lines 3 and 4 were head and shoulders above line 1 and 2 last night...That can't happen (you get blown like they did when it does).

more like Fleishmann and the 4th line IMO. DD and Weise were really bad.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I don't get the Leafs fans who think losing but outshooting your opponent is a moral victory. This doesn't feel good at all.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The only reason DD led all Habs centers in ice time was because the game was out of reach early right? That must be the reason right?

Anyway forget that expected stinker and move on to the next game..

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I was there last night. One of the strangest games I have ever seen. The Habs had chances, but could not score. The Canucks looked like they could put the puck in the net with each shot. Lots of fortunate bounces went their way.

I am reticent to go see the Habs again next year. They rarely bring it during the west coast trip(s). Next game will be a good test to see where they are at.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Habs will have an amazing season. I can realistically see the following happen:

Price = Hart, Vezina, Lindsay again (only 9 games in but he's the clear favorite atm)

PK Subban = Norris Trophy. It's gonna happen, this year. 100%

HABS = President Trophy. They will simply be more consistent than Tampa, and i think it's one of those 2 who wins it.

Stanley Cup = Habs are *serious* contenders. I won't try to get cute and say we win for sure, because playoffs are such a crapshoot, but I *legit* think that by the time we enter the playoffs this year we will be seen as as strong a contender as any team (be it Chicago, Tampa, etc). in comparison, the past few years, we were always though of as a competitive team but never a strong/favorite Cup Contender.

This is going to be a fun year. Oh - and i'd *LOVE* to see Therrian win the Jack Adams, though i won't hold my breath :p
surprise.gif

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The Galchenyuk line has been the worst of the 4 lines for quite some time now. I'm not really sure what the issue is with them.. Is it a lack of chemistry? Confidence? Who knows. Semin hasn't been good but I don't think it's fair for people to only blame him. The line just isn't clicking.

The only change that Therrien can realistically make is Byron for Semin. He can't start messing with the other lines just yet. And on D he can maybe swap Pateryn and Gilbert. Anyways, let's not get crazy. It's only one loss. :laugh:

I think they need a shoot from every type of player. Galchenyuk and Semin are both focused on playmaking and don't shoot enough. Eller's the only one shooting, and he doesn't have that great of a shot and is doing more of the grunt work of forechecking, cycling, etc... so is rarely trying to get himself open for a shot.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Not even mad. For some reason everything went wrong. Price that can't control an easy shot by Prust?? And on top of that Miller had a great game.

The good thing is this will piss off Price, a humiliating loss like that in his "home" game. And Gallagher too. Fuel to keep them going for a while.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Semin & Beaulieu need to sit. Semin almost cost us the Leafs game. The guy's too slow for the NHL. It was worth a shot, but the guy is done. At least Byron should bring some speed and energy to the Chucky line.

I still can't believe Nate tipped in that 2nd goal. You have the best goalie in the world behind you and you try to use your stick? Let him make the save. He's giving the puck over too much, is overly aggressive at the other blueline. Really needs to up his consistency.

Pateryn or Tinner in next game, or both because Gilbert sucks too.

You know you just described P.K Subban as well? Give it a rest, kids make mistakes, NB has been solid this year. Price sucked last night, 67 was invisible and we didn't deserve a win. **** happens, the team moves on. I thought we were beyond the 'that player sucked last night and deserves to be scratched forever' mentality? Guess not.

ROSSter

Jul 5, 2011
I was at the game and man oh man did we get unlucky. We handily outshot the Canucks the entire game but 2 goals against ended up being own goal deflections. Price just couldn't get a break. Also Prust and the fourth line was killer against us, which is really a WTF. Overall, when we did have the opportunity our shots were getting blocked and Miller had plenty of time to see things. However, props to him, he played a great game. Sad to say I paid to watch the Habs get blown out but it was awesome seeing the Habs fanbase turning up in Vancouver! :yo:

Check all the habs fans watching the warmup
12177862_10153016811032364_588053327_n.jpg

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You can tell that Galchenyuk is still adjusting to the C position. On breakouts, especially when the puck gets cycled back, he's not putting himself in great positions to receive an outlet pass. Since he rarely is able to receive an early outlet pass he's rarely able to skate the puck through the neutral zone with speed, which he needs to do if he wants to be effective. He's also (still) not moving his feet enough, with or without the puck.

This would be my main criticism of Galchenyuk's game so far. Once he's in the offensive zone, he does some cool stuff. He's fairly good defensively too. However, the transition game of that line is just terrible, and Galchenyuk has his part in that.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Well... They lost... That's it. Go on with the next game.

I'm a bit worried about Beaulieu, tho. And not just about last night. Very shaky in his own end, and seems to always do the wrong play in the o-zone. I'm starting to doubt the quality of his vision. I'm absolutly not giving up on him, he's too good a skater and passer, but I don't think he will produce as much as I originally thought.

And to the contrary of many here, I think he's the one making Gilbert look bad since the start of the season, not the other way around (but I'm certainly not saying Gilbert is good either!)

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

I wonder why that line is having trouble?:laugh: It's enough with this Semin experiment. No amount of coaching will change the fact he has no gas in the tank. I'm sure we have somebody in the minors that deserves a shot. Habs are better off starting to groom a player in that role right now so he's ready for the playoffs because Semin sure as hell won't be in that role come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad