OT: The story behind your username

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
What is the story behind your username ? I've been on here for a bit but not a decade plus like some posters on here. You see some of the same frequent posters on here and wonder what the story is behind their login name. Some of the accounts on here I can kind of tell when they are Devils related but some are random and really funny ones' as well. You could also explain the profile pic , header etc if need be.

I'll start it off. My login name is a bit random but I love pizza and hockey , hence the "pucks" in my username. Just combined the two together since I couldn't think of anything better. I've been browsing this site since 2010ish but didn't sign up till 2018. My profile pic is from the April Fool's Day gag tbe Devils did back in like 2016 , that's why my header says New Jersey Angels die hard lol.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Mine is a combination. The Mad comes from a very obscure nickname (Mad Vornskr) in an obscure Star Wars book back in the day (Thrawn Trilogy geeks will know what a vornskr is), which I also used as my username on the old Force.net forums. When I first discovered hockey message boards I figured I'd combine my two biggest fandoms into one, MadDevil. I was also a bit of a hothead back then, so the Mad could have applied to me in a lot of ways.:laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Mine is because Doc was the best. Just one of his plethora of sayings "Was it the work of the unseen hand?". Though I like how, without context, it's also a little creepy :laugh:

My avatar is Makise Kurisu from Stein's Gate. It switches up pretty often. In this case, I just like Stein's Gate and decided to have an avy from it for a bit. Obviously had to add the Hat hat for the playoffs last year. At this point, I do really need to change it again. I've just been lazy.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Playing roller hockey in my driveway in NJ with various combinations of friends and family from 1990 to 2000, as normal kids would act out games when practicing alone. Instead of just “he takes the shot” I would say “he rips a shot”. So that became Ripshot and 43 was always the number I would pick for my team jerseys during my childhood. Nothing about the number special prior to me picking it besides that I wanted a number that was unique to me and not one a bunch of players had worn (after all these years I now share it with Luke :laugh: and yes, he did buy my wife an electric Porsche).

Thus…. Ripshot43

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
My OG name was MadDog91730, and the numbers changed a couple of times based on who was here and who left, but that was because John Madden was one of my all-time favorite Devils. My other name that I had before this was amusing to me at the time was Prezidentas Zubrus because Dainius became the president of hockey in Lithuania and I think that was how the title was officially labeled? And it sounded awesome. :laugh:

But this name is pretty self-explanatory and too good to pass up. I always liked Sal back in his St. Louis days, and was ecstatic when he came aboard. Always loved his style of defense, and was thrilled to not only see him come back from the inner-ear concussion issue, but play all 82 games that following year and have that unreal run in the playoffs offensively, ultimately becoming captain after Zach left. Special stuff for a guy who busted his ass night in and night out and earned everything he got in the league. I'm really happy he has stuck around the team and New Jersey itself, he's a great ambassador for everything that is great about the game.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
1703684920321.png

I remember being kind of freaked out by the cover when I was five.

The vast gulf between early 80's video game covers and the actual games might be where I first learned to temper expectations.

1703685633338.png

My sister and I would scream at the top of our lungs every time the Wumpus got us, which involved this screen:

1703685719255.png

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Hi all - my name here Whaddagoal and I am here to tell you a story.

Back in college, I found the original HF through my freshman year dorm roommate (2001-2002). My roommate happened to be a fan of the filthy Isles, but that is a side story. He showed me HockeysFuture and it was the old, original forum format. Because we both liked hockey, I ended up watching a lot of hockey on local TV and even after he wasn't my roommate the few years later, I still had MSG hockey on as a background filler in my dorm room while nothing else was going of importance.

Hockey was my sport outlet, as a kid since becoming a Devils fan in early 90s - growing up locally here and playing hockey locally growing up.

Out of some randomness, I saw Kovalchuk burst into the league and play the local teams (NJD/NYR/NYI) here, and somehow ended up a huge fan of his early as a player... so much that I followed Atlanta as a second team to my Devils. By the time I got into HFB more regularly (to actually not lurk, but post content), I ended up latching onto a specific goal call from the PBP announcer on a Kovalchuk goal. He screamed out, "Kovalchuk - WHAD-DA-GOAL!"

I just kept it since then. The PBP guy was JP Dellacamera and he coincidentally was the Metro/Redbulls PBP guy for a bit. The timing alludes me but that was some coincidence that he somehow called the Thrashers too.

I've probably told this story before but, lurked here for a long time as a Devils fan, but started originally as a HFB participant on the Thrashers HFB. I was a bit down on the Devils in 2005/2006/2007/2008, wasn't engaged with the Julien and Sutter era teams and then later I really and specifically disliked Brent Sutter as a coach and was pissed off about a number of things about him (Elias captaincy thing). Also, I think a lot of it was that my original favorite Devils had retired or soon to be retired. Sarge (Brylin) was at the end of his career, Stevens had retired, Niedermayer (left), etc. and I fell into a lull on the team. Wasn't a huge fan of Langs - Elias was my remaining favorite player and sutter ripped the C off.

Once Lemaire came back, my original drive for NJD fandom came back, and it also coincided with Kovalchuk somehow getting traded and signing with NJD and my hockey worlds merged together (favorite team merging with "recent" favorite player). That was amazing while it lasted.

So Whaddagoal stuck around!

Was tempted to rename this season or last, had a couple of good ideas but never pushed the button.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
My OG name was MadDog91730, and the numbers changed a couple of times based on who was here and who left, but that was because John Madden was one of my all-time favorite Devils. My other name that I had before this was amusing to me at the time was Prezidentas Zubrus because Dainius became the president of hockey in Lithuania and I think that was how the title was officially labeled? And it sounded awesome. :laugh:

But this name is pretty self-explanatory and too good to pass up. I always liked Sal back in his St. Louis days, and was ecstatic when he came aboard. Always loved his style of defense, and was thrilled to not only see him come back from the inner-ear concussion issue, but play all 82 games that following year and have that unreal run in the playoffs offensively, ultimately becoming captain after Zach left. Special stuff for a guy who busted his ass night in and night out and earned everything he got in the league. I'm really happy he has stuck around the team and New Jersey itself, he's a great ambassador for everything that is great about the game.

I do remember both your previous OG names, but I didn't realize that was you today! Good to connect the dots from a bunch of years ago now. :thumbu:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
My name is boring, it's just my last name and favorite number. I don't actually remember why 81 is my favorite number. I think it's because I was usually #9 when I played sports as a kid but it was taken one year so I squared it. I know I started wearing #81 but I don't remember if that was the reason or because of Marian Hossa coming to Atlanta.

(Thrawn Trilogy geeks will know what a vornskr is)
Guilty
Mine is because Doc was the best. Just one of his plethora of sayings "Was it the work of the unseen hand?". Though I like how, without context, it's also a little creepy :laugh:

My avatar is Makise Kurisu from Stein's Gate. It switches up pretty often. In this case, I just like Stein's Gate and decided to have an avy from it for a bit. Obviously had to add the Hat hat for the playoffs last year. At this point, I do really need to change it again. I've just been lazy.
It's been a long time since I watched anime regularly, but Steins Gate was one of my favorites from the moment it came out, really compelling

I just kept it since then. The PBP guy was JP Dellacamera and he coincidentally was the Metro/Redbulls PBP guy for a bit. The timing alludes me but that was some coincidence that he somehow called the Thrashers too.
For all their faults, the Thrashers did have some great PBP guys. Dan Kamal was the radio PBP and he's still my default voice when I think hockey.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I have a pretty self explanatory and boring username lol. Devs3cups, Devils, 3 cups.

Hopefully, soon enough, I switch it to Devs4cups! :naughty:

As for my avatar, it changes a lot. I love using GIFs from the “Rewind” videos the team releases, and I switch it up from time to time. I’ve been pretty down on the team for a few weeks, so I’ve been using “Hat hat” Spongebob avatars to convey my sadness lol. But the GIFs always make a comeback eventually.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
For all their faults, the Thrashers did have some great PBP guys. Dan Kamal was the radio PBP and he's still my default voice when I think hockey.

Yeah good TV crew and Radio crew - listened to Kamal also before i had enough money for center ice (back in the school days). The only way then I'd catch games would be when they played local teams here. Otherwise, replays, Radio, or Center ice later.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I used to post in a NJ Nets forum as NetsBrain.

Devils Blood is a slight spin off that, with a darker connotation befitting of the team name I think.

I contemplated switching to Devils Advocate recently given some discussions we had here, but inertia is a powerful force. Also figured someone probably has that.

Now why did I go with NetsBrain? I dunno, Pinky and the Brain maybe? Not that I liked that show. Brains are just wildly interesting? Probably played into it. I also think I liked that it was a little obnoxious.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Aesop Rock put out an album called "None Shall Pass" around when I joined, and I thought that was a cool username, and all the other usernames I had used on other sites/games/etc were already taken.

Then the God Cory Schneider has "None shall pass" painted on one of his masks while he played here, which was a fun coincidence.

The avatar is from last season's playoffs, which is Dano and Erika from a Genucel commercial.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Was a huge U2 fan in college (still am) and they had just released their No Line on the Horizon album in 2009. My favorite song on the album was Unknown Caller and it seemed like a decent username for a message board, so here we are 14 years later with a username that has nothing to do with the Devils. I probably would have made it something Tedenby related otherwise at the time, so I guess it could be worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad