The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Would like to make some extra cash for the near future. I'm 30 and would like to leave the investment in one place for a while.

Do you think oil is going to go back up in the near future? If so, there's your answer.

I'm very bullish on oil, and have a lot of my money weighted in the energy sector.

Bought into solid companies from 53 bucks per barrel(called the bottom wrong) all the way down to 43, and bought on the way back up to 53

Holding and waiting now.

I've known guys that started investing with just 1500 dollars. You're not going to get rich off that but it's do-able.

Read Benjamin Graham's the intelligent investor.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I just want to add thAt 1500 is a good start to investing . You're going to want to add to that as much as you can.

Most brokers won't take you without a minimum of 12,500.

I started with 20k .

I'll also save you the trouble and tell you not to play the true penny stocks/pink sheets.

Did it twice and lost my money each time. Buying into micro cap gold junior mining companies hoping for them to move up 6 cents. Lol

There are better risks to take.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Do you think oil is going to go back up in the near future? If so, there's your answer.

I'm very bullish on oil, and have a lot of my money weighted in the energy sector.

Bought into solid companies from 53 bucks per barrel(called the bottom wrong) all the way down to 43, and bought on the way back up to 53

Holding and waiting now.

I've known guys that started investing with just 1500 dollars. You're not going to get rich off that but it's do-able.

I just want to add thAt 1500 is a good start to investing . You're going to want to add to that as much as you can.

Most brokers won't take you without a minimum of 12,500.

I started with 20k .

I'll also save you the trouble and tell you not to play the true penny stocks/pink sheets.

Did it twice and lost my money each time. Buying into micro cap gold junior mining companies hoping for them to move up 6 cents. Lol

There are better risks to take.
Awesome, thanks!!!

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
That's funny, because the bluest of all blue chips in the world (AAPL) is severely undervalued imo.

Could be. Or it could be overvalued. Tech companies have very fast product life cycles. Apple could be a second tier tech company 10 years from now. It was only a mere 8 years ago that Apple was an afterthought. 15 years ago Microsoft ran the world. Samsung looked to be challenging Apple for the top spot in tech a few short years ago and now look at it. And I won't even mention Blackberry. Valuing tech companies is inherently difficult because they leapfrog each other so quickly. Rapid change is often the enemy of most investors

My point about most blue chip companies not being undervalued still stands. Most people are unlikely to achieve the returns they desire by pursuing blue chip companies. Unless we're in a market panic.

Most people believe they can outperform the market in the long run after fees and taxes and most people are wrong. It is a rare skill to find. For most people, Jack Bogle's advice is valid: "Just buy the damn index fund".

May 31, 2006
Right now I'm waiting for the next stock market crash (I predict 2017-18) before investing significant chunks of my savings back in the market.

Stocks are just way too overvalued right now.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Right now I'm waiting for the next stock market crash (I predict 2017-18) before investing significant chunks of my savings back in the market.

You think the stock market is overvalued now?

Just wait.

Can't see the market crashing in 2017-18.

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
You think the stock market is overvalued now?

Just wait.

Can't see the market crashing in 2017-18.

Odds are that neither of you (or anyone else here) can predict when the market will crash next.

Problem with sitting in cash is that the (US) market often rises by enough where its value will be higher than it is today, even after a correction. Cash also becomes a sort of "drug" which you never want to let go of until its too late.
If you're sitting in cash and the market drops, odds are that you'll mis-time it by staying in cash too long hoping for a further drop.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Would like to make some extra cash for the near future. I'm 30 and would like to leave the investment in one place for a while.

now it depends on how much knowledge you have of the market, how much work you want to put into it and how much risk you want to take.

That's funny, because the bluest of all blue chips in the world (AAPL) is severely undervalued imo.

keep this in mind, AAPL is just coming off a 4 of 1 stock split not that long ago which means that now there is 4 times as many shares then there was so that means demand needs to be 4 times higher. I almost bought back in when it hit 123, was hoping it would drop to 121 but I was only going to buy a small amount like 90 or 100 shares just because I've had it in the past and done well plus I think it's like the best stock in the world in the long run. Just that with the split it may take a little while before you see it back over 200 again.

I used to own Snapple ice tea, that sucker split 3 times very quickly and I made a decent amount on it but I waited too long to get out as all the splits caught up to demand and it started drooping. Each stock is it's own so I'm not comparing, just stating that you have to keep things in perspective.

Holding and waiting now.

Oil has easily been my best stock picks over the years, I've gotten very lucky to be in at the right time and I just got out completely when it was in the upper 90's (if I was really smart I would have shorted it as I was told by several traders that it was going under 75 and likely a lot worse, should have listened)

Energy has been beaten up, I got out but just stuck my toe back in on Chesapeake Energy with a small buy since I liked the chart and it was cheap. I will slowly rotate back into energy as I'm not sure when it bounces back but there is some good value plays. I know Graham's work as I studied Warren Buffett who learned under Graham, value investing is not really my thing but I would highly recommend that approach for people that work outside the industry (or even in the market if they aren't active investors)

Stock valuation is high and concerning but I could still see a few good years before I get too concerned. Trying to time the big drops is really hard to do but that's why I recommend to people that are heavily invested to always have a nice chunk of spare cash ready to pounce for when that day comes as you got to buy when no one else is buying if you want to get in at lower levels.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
now it depends on how much knowledge you have of the market, how much work you want to put into it and how much risk you want to take.

keep this in mind, AAPL is just coming off a 4 of 1 stock split not that long ago which means that now there is 4 times as many shares then there was so that means demand needs to be 4 times higher. I almost bought back in when it hit 123, was hoping it would drop to 121 but I was only going to buy a small amount like 90 or 100 shares just because I've had it in the past and done well plus I think it's like the best stock in the world in the long run. Just that with the split it may take a little while before you see it back over 200 again.

I used to own Snapple ice tea, that sucker split 3 times very quickly and I made a decent amount on it but I waited too long to get out as all the splits caught up to demand and it started drooping. Each stock is it's own so I'm not comparing, just stating that you have to keep things in perspective.

Oil has easily been my best stock picks over the years, I've gotten very lucky to be in at the right time and I just got out completely when it was in the upper 90's (if I was really smart I would have shorted it as I was told by several traders that it was going under 75 and likely a lot worse, should have listened)

Energy has been beaten up, I got out but just stuck my toe back in on Chesapeake Energy with a small buy since I liked the chart and it was cheap. I will slowly rotate back into energy as I'm not sure when it bounces back but there is some good value plays. I know Graham's work as I studied Warren Buffett who learned under Graham, value investing is not really my thing but I would highly recommend that approach for people that work outside the industry (or even in the market if they aren't active investors)

Stock valuation is high and concerning but I could still see a few good years before I get too concerned. Trying to time the big drops is really hard to do but that's why I recommend to people that are heavily invested to always have a nice chunk of spare cash ready to pounce for when that day comes as you got to buy when no one else is buying if you want to get in at lower levels.

Great post. Very interesting, and informative, thank you.

I've not invested into any American oil companies, as I've had my hands full investing in the Canadian energy sector. Here's some of the plays I've made this past winter that has made me money, with my buy and sell points.

Blackpearl Resources - Bought at 1.18, bought again at 0.77 and 0.85 cents. Sold at 1.27. Nice profit.

Pacific Rubiales - Bought from 4.50 all the way down to 2.50. It was just bought out a couple weeks ago for 6.00. Sold at 6.33. Nice profit again.

Legacy Oil and Gas - Bought at 1.80, the price immediately took off over the next couple weeks to a high of 3.15. Still holding as I believe they are going to either sell assets, or be bought out for a share price of 6-7 dollars here in the next couple weeks. The price is still at good levels right now for getting in. 2.75, and there's lots of news articles out there explaining what is going on with the company if you're interested. They have some amazing assets. Worth a look. Before oil crashed Legacy was 10 bucks a share.

These were some risky stocks, so I got out when I was happy with the profit margins, and put the money, and profit into safe dividend paying bank and blue chip energy companies, as long as they paid a dividend - Suncor, Crescent Point Energy (Love their 0.23 cent monthly dividend. They pay my phone bill every month. ;))

I've also invested some of my money into Reits. One of my good buddies and I are going to get into actual real estate this summer/fall, but until then I am happy to make some money off real estate without the headache of finding good tenants and fixing problems that arise. Love that Reits pay a monthly dividend. I own Killam Reit, and Chartwell Retirement.

hitman I want to get into low cost ETFs. Can you list off some? I'd love to look into them more. Are there any that pay a monthly dividend, or is it all quarterly?

I've had losses in the stock market as well, and i've learned that if you just randomly pick stocks and just cross your fingers, chances are, you're going to lose your money. I spend hours researching, reading quarterly reports, and e-mailing and talking to the company before I invest any money into them. I would like to become a "lazy investor" where I don't have to devote as much/any time to it, and don't have to check the market everyday. I want to rest easy knowing my money is working for me, which is why I'm really interested in index funds.

What do you think of the Total Market Vanguard Index Fund, hitman?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Great post. Very interesting, and informative, thank you.

I've not invested into any American oil companies, as I've had my hands full investing in the Canadian energy sector. Here's some of the plays I've made this past winter that has made me money, with my buy and sell points.

Blackpearl Resources - Bought at 1.18, bought again at 0.77 and 0.85 cents. Sold at 1.27. Nice profit.

Pacific Rubiales - Bought from 4.50 all the way down to 2.50. It was just bought out a couple weeks ago for 6.00. Sold at 6.33. Nice profit again.

Legacy Oil and Gas - Bought at 1.80, the price immediately took off over the next couple weeks to a high of 3.15. Still holding as I believe they are going to either sell assets, or be bought out for a share price of 6-7 dollars here in the next couple weeks. The price is still at good levels right now for getting in. 2.75, and there's lots of news articles out there explaining what is going on with the company if you're interested. They have some amazing assets. Worth a look. Before oil crashed Legacy was 10 bucks a share.

These were some risky stocks, so I got out when I was happy with the profit margins, and put the money, and profit into safe dividend paying bank and blue chip energy companies, as long as they paid a dividend - Suncor, Crescent Point Energy (Love their 0.23 cent monthly dividend. They pay my phone bill every month. ;))

I've also invested some of my money into Reits. One of my good buddies and I are going to get into actual real estate this summer/fall, but until then I am happy to make some money off real estate without the headache of finding good tenants and fixing problems that arise. Love that Reits pay a monthly dividend. I own Killam Reit, and Chartwell Retirement.

hitman I want to get into low cost ETFs. Can you list off some? I'd love to look into them more. Are there any that pay a monthly dividend, or is it all quarterly?

I've had losses in the stock market as well, and i've learned that if you just randomly pick stocks and just cross your fingers, chances are, you're going to lose your money. I spend hours researching, reading quarterly reports, and e-mailing and talking to the company before I invest any money into them. I would like to become a "lazy investor" where I don't have to devote as much/any time to it, and don't have to check the market everyday. I want to rest easy knowing my money is working for me, which is why I'm really interested in index funds.

What do you think of the Total Market Vanguard Index Fund, hitman?

I don't follow the Canadian energy sector but I have owned Suncor in the past. I also did well with a bio-tech Tekmira based out of Burnaby, BC and Goldcorp based out of Vancouver, BC. But it sounds like you are doing your homework and that is a major key as too many people don't want to put the time in. The lesson I've learned is that no one will work as hard for your money as you will.

Reits and real estate are a good way to go as well, I have had some Reits in the past that pay a nice dividend and if you know real estate you can do really well there as the market will bounce around but in the end it's usually a good bet depending on location and other factors of course.

I know you were asking the other poster about ETF's, I have never owned one so I will defer but I do like them for investors that like a sector but don't want to own the stock outright. As for the Total Market Vanguard Index Fund, having worked for Vanguard I highly recommend them, imo they are one of the best in the business hands down. I like the 500 Index but I wouldn't buy it until it pulls back, then again I don't trade with index funds either since I do all the work myself.

good luck to you!

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I don't follow the Canadian energy sector but I have owned Suncor in the past. I also did well with a bio-tech Tekmira based out of Burnaby, BC and Goldcorp based out of Vancouver, BC. But it sounds like you are doing your homework and that is a major key as too many people don't want to put the time in. The lesson I've learned is that no one will work as hard for your money as you will.

Reits and real estate are a good way to go as well, I have had some Reits in the past that pay a nice dividend and if you know real estate you can do really well there as the market will bounce around but in the end it's usually a good bet depending on location and other factors of course.

I know you were asking the other poster about ETF's, I have never owned one so I will defer but I do like them for investors that like a sector but don't want to own the stock outright. As for the Total Market Vanguard Index Fund, having worked for Vanguard I highly recommend them, imo they are one of the best in the business hands down. I like the 500 Index but I wouldn't buy it until it pulls back, then again I don't trade with index funds either since I do all the work myself.

good luck to you!

Thanks for your reply.

I have been watching their ETF, VTI. Historically seems to raise 5% every year. Once you get to a certain point ($1,000,000), you could live off say, 3% in a country like Costa Rica for the rest of your life, retiring years ahead of 65. That's a long ways away for me yet though.

Yes, a lot of Reits pay a great dividend, and if you do your homework, there's some money to be made there in capital gain along with a safe dividend.

Why did you get out of Suncor? Before the crash in oil, I hope. I just bought into Suncor late last week at 56 a share. Warren Buffet got in at 58, so I'm thinking I'm safe at these levels. Haha.

I do a lot of the work myself, too, which is another reason I didn't immediately enter into Index funds. I thought buying individual stock would help me get a better grasp of the market.

Any advice or tips on your part would be appreciated though. Like I said, I just entered the stock market for the first time back in December and have a ton to learn.

Edited: Are those companies you listed still a good play now? (Goldcorp, and the biotech) I'll have to check them out. Enjoy your week-end.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Thanks for your reply.

I have been watching their ETF, VTI. Historically seems to raise 5% every year. Once you get to a certain point ($1,000,000), you could live off say, 3% in a country like Costa Rica for the rest of your life, retiring years ahead of 65. That's a long ways away for me yet though.

Yes, a lot of Reits pay a great dividend, and if you do your homework, there's some money to be made there in capital gain along with a safe dividend.

Why did you get out of Suncor? Before the crash in oil, I hope. I just bought into Suncor late last week at 56 a share. Warren Buffet got in at 58, so I'm thinking I'm safe at these levels. Haha.

I do a lot of the work myself, too, which is another reason I didn't immediately enter into Index funds. I thought buying individual stock would help me get a better grasp of the market.

Any advice or tips on your part would be appreciated though. Like I said, I just entered the stock market for the first time back in December and have a ton to learn.

Edited: Are those companies you listed still a good play now? (Goldcorp, and the biotech) I'll have to check them out. Enjoy your week-end.

I was in and out of Suncor and GG a long time ago, just made the money I wanted and got out as it wasn't my money but for a client's account. I got into GG way before the gold rush but got out way too soon. But that's how you learn, through years and years of experience. I wouldn't go back into gold as I don't like how it's traded at all.

I still like TKMR a lot, the chart is ugly but if you can live with risk I think you will get a real nice reward in next few years. The price is good, if interested you might want to consider to dollar cost average which in case you don't know, that just means instead of trying to time the market you buy smaller amounts over a longer period of time. It reduces your risky exposure but you won't make as much. On the other hand if you bought say 1000 shares at 14, in say 2 years (perhaps more, perhaps less, bio-techs are very risky but that's why they pay out so big if you are in the right one at the right time) you could be looking at 30 to 50K minus the 14K you put in plus the cost to buy and sell and taxes.

I think at some point they get bought out as they have a lot of drugs in the pipeline, the downside risk is that their drugs are still in early to very early stages which makes their risky factor much higher. I like the management team, they seem to know what they are doing and while it's a slow process, I do like them long term. I got out at 24 but am itching to get back in, just waiting to see how it continues to trade as there's no good reason why it should have fallen this much so the shorts must be invading. You have to be very careful about the short interest, they can do a lot of damage and usually know what's going on before the market does.

As for advice, it sounds like you have a good approach. I know I learned a lot in my Finance classes reading william o'neil and his approach called CANSLIM. His book really helped me learn how to read charts, while I'm not overly a technical investor, I would never make a move without having a good feeling about the chart. Then again I have to do this for a living.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_SLIM

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I hear you about the shorts. I was following and in on Athabasca oil at 2.50, and didn't realize the amount of shorts out on the stock. Something like 68 million. I just read about the company and researched the company and liked them as a mid - term play - 2017. It was the first shares I've ever bought, and learned from it. Luckily, I was able to average down when the price fell to 1.61. I still have a feeling it will be bought out in the long term due to the value of their assets, so I'm okay with some pretty low swings.

How do you know when to get out? Buffet says to wait 6-11 years.

What level are you hoping to get back in at on the biotech?

I'll research it, and do my homework, and if I like it and am confident in it, I'll put it on my watchlist for sure. But if you think it's a good play, I'm sure it is, considering your field of work.

Where did you go to school?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I hear you about the shorts. I was following and in on Athabasca oil at 2.50, and didn't realize the amount of shorts out on the stock. Something like 68 million. I just read about the company and researched the company and liked them as a mid - term play - 2017. It was the first shares I've ever bought, and learned from it. Luckily, I was able to average down when the price fell to 1.61. I still have a feeling it will be bought out in the long term due to the value of their assets, so I'm okay with some pretty low swings.

How do you know when to get out? Buffet says to wait 6-11 years.

What level are you hoping to get back in at on the biotech?

I'll research it, and do my homework, and if I like it and am confident in it, I'll put it on my watchlist for sure. But if you think it's a good play, I'm sure it is, considering your field of work.

Where did you go to school?

I let the charts tell me when it's time to get out, sometimes you get caught holding the bag though which could mean you have a long wait before you can get your money back. Personally I think it's the hardest part of investing.

TKMR I am waiting to see how it continues to trade, I like the price but not how it's been acting. The lower it goes the more attracted I get though since it wasn't long ago it was a 30 bucks. Can't hurt to put it on your watch list, just keep in mind it's a very risky stock.

I went to a small business school, Goldey-Beacom College in Wilmington Delaware.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Did a bit of research and not sure how I feel about investing in Ebola vaccination. I think it's a stock run by news. How far along in trials are they? Did they pass initial trials?

I don't know anything about the biotech sector so i try not to invest in things I don't understand .

I will watch it though.

I have been thinking of doing a two year business degree and writing my mutual fund license. Is it possible to enter the business world at my age, 31?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Did a bit of research and not sure how I feel about investing in Ebola vaccination. I think it's a stock run by news. How far along in trials are they? Did they pass initial trials?

I don't know anything about the biotech sector so i try not to invest in things I don't understand .

I will watch it though.

I have been thinking of doing a two year business degree and writing my mutual fund license. Is it possible to enter the business world at my age, 31?

They are much more then just ebola, they also have good exposure to the Hep B market as well as a cancer drug (I don't know too much about that one though) as well as other drugs. The ebola human trails were put on hold until the breakout, they have had the most success of any other company in terms of primate and humans survival rates (100%) but yes ebola is very much traded by the news and the story is now all but over from the look so it. ZMapp had some success but they are private owned and it takes them a very long time to create the drug.

As I said bio-tech's are very risky, they carry a huge risk-reward ratio, they aren't for your average investor but as you continue to learn it can be a great money maker if you know what you are doing. I'm in no way suggesting you buy it, but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on it.

Yes it's possible to enter the field at 31, or 41 for that matter depending on what you want to do as financial advisors will always be in demand and they often don't care what you know but if you can sell.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's the problem with institutional finance

agreed, they are taught not to do what's best for you but what's best to not lose you money. For some that's not bad but for others that need the incoming in their retirement years it impacts them.

I'd say the worst problem in the stock market/investing is short sellers, the SEC sitting on their hands and doing nothing about the fails to deliver list, HFT, dark pools.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
agreed, they are taught not to do what's best for you but what's best to not lose you money. For some that's not bad but for others that need the incoming in their retirement years it impacts them.

This is why I despise some of the financial talking heads. You should only buy one product and forget the rest is basically the message. A financial product is one tool in a toolbox. High Growth Mutual funds inside tax advantaged account might not be the best solution for an oilfield worker who has to live with big booms and busts within his industry.

A unionized postal worker with a pension plan might not need low risk/low growth bond fund ETFs. ect.

A financial planner should be able to build a plan based on your personal circumstances not shove whatever products they feel like selling down your throat.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
As someone who is currently working towards a finance degree, this thread proves to me that I still have a looooong way to go before I completely understand Fiance :laugh:

The book looks like a great tool though, so thanks for that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As someone who is currently working towards a finance degree, this thread proves to me that I still have a looooong way to go before I completely understand Fiance :laugh:

The book looks like a great tool though, so thanks for that.

I've been doing this over 20 years and I learn new stuff all the time. There's so much to learn overall, but just try to get the basic things down first. Experience is a great teacher, but it can also be a costly one in this line of work.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I know absolutely nothing about the stock markets. Would lose all my money if went there alone.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I don't play the stock market but for anyone who does I suggest doing your research and invest your money wisely and to know when to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad