The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
They are much more then just ebola, they also have good exposure to the Hep B market as well as a cancer drug (I don't know too much about that one though) as well as other drugs. The ebola human trails were put on hold until the breakout, they have had the most success of any other company in terms of primate and humans survival rates (100%) but yes ebola is very much traded by the news and the story is now all but over from the look so it. ZMapp had some success but they are private owned and it takes them a very long time to create the drug.

As I said bio-tech's are very risky, they carry a huge risk-reward ratio, they aren't for your average investor but as you continue to learn it can be a great money maker if you know what you are doing. I'm in no way suggesting you buy it, but it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on it.

Yes it's possible to enter the field at 31, or 41 for that matter depending on what you want to do as financial advisors will always be in demand and they often don't care what you know but if you can sell.

Thanks. This is encouraging news about entering the financial sector. I'm going to begin signing up for some courses this week.

I only did very little research on the company, but i'll continue to read. Do you have a price in your head that you'd be wanting to get back in at? I would wait until some shorts fell off before buying, in my opinion. I'm going to follow this stock closely, and read more about the biotech sector. I love the reward factor of a good company. I'm still young enough where I don't mind a little risk as long as I am confident in the long term outlook.

What is your view on the mid-term/long-term oil outlook?

The Joker*

Thanks. This is encouraging news about entering the financial sector. I'm going to begin signing up for some courses this week.

I only did very little research on the company, but i'll continue to read. Do you have a price in your head that you'd be wanting to get back in at? I would wait until some shorts fell off before buying, in my opinion. I'm going to follow this stock closely, and read more about the biotech sector. I love the reward factor of a good company. I'm still young enough where I don't mind a little risk as long as I am confident in the long term outlook.

Short term - poor
Longterm (years) - good
Longterm (many years) - poor

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Also, do you follow the American banks at all? I've had Bank of America on my watchlist for awhile..

The Joker*

There's far better buying opportunities right now than American banks.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've been doing this over 20 years and I learn new stuff all the time. There's so much to learn overall, but just try to get the basic things down first. Experience is a great teacher, but it can also be a costly one in this line of work.

I always figured that it would take years and years to be adequately knowledgeable. Also I would bet that I learn a lot more after I graduate/at my first job than I do in school. But the basics are definitely a good place to start :)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

good luck with the courses!

I keep an eye on the chart, if it keeps bleeding then I will grow very concerned. If it falls through 10 then the flood gates could open so I would watch it very closely to see if support holds or if it turns up being a falling knife which you never want to try and catch on the way down but once support comes in you can pick it up very cheap. bio-techs are so risky because they can have explosive moves in either direction at any time so it really helps if you know how to use options to hedge your investment. Puts or calls are a must if you have a lot on the line (a lot will vary from person to person)

If support holds around this level then I might step it and pick up a small amount of say 500 shares and see how it does over time. For me it's about reading and reacting to what I see so I don't know what I am going to see until I see it. If that makes sense.

I've done really well with oil in the past. mid term I think oil will be up from these levels (meaning 6 months from now) and long term I like oil, not as much as I used to as I was heavy into oil back before it broke out when oil in the 40's was unheard of. I do think we'll see 100 oil in the future, but when is hard to say as I have not paid anywhere near as much attention to oil as I haven't like the entire commodities sector and I am heavily into bio-techs which take up a ton of my time along with the MMJ sector which right now is the wild wild west of investing but medical pot is going to only get much bigger as it's going to be a huge money making sector in the future imo.

Also, do you follow the American banks at all? I've had Bank of America on my watchlist for awhile..

I've worked for several of them. JPMorgan, Citi, Mellon. I did really well getting in and out of Citi, I like JPM but the price is too high. I think GS is the best but from knowing traders and the stories they tell me, GS is very dirty so I won't touch them. I am not too fond of bank stocks right now in general as I still worry about their exposure to the housing market in the US as well as student loan debt being extremely high. If Citi dropped into the low 40's I might buy back in as I know their chart the best out of all the banks.

I always figured that it would take years and years to be adequately knowledgeable. Also I would bet that I learn a lot more after I graduate/at my first job than I do in school. But the basics are definitely a good place to start :)

Well adequately knowledgeable is going to vary from person to person. I look at it as more like once you have the basic knowledge you will just be adding to it layer by layer with each passing year of experience.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well adequately knowledgeable is going to vary from person to person. I look at it as more like once you have the basic knowledge you will just be adding to it layer by layer with each passing year of experience.

I just meant knowledgeable enough to be good at whatever job I end up at. But that's certainly a good way to look at things.

On topic though, I don't have a ton to mess around with but I'm putting some in a mutual fund soon. Once I get enough I'd love to start trading on my own but that's still probably a few years away. In the meantime I use Investopedia's stock simulator :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I just meant knowledgeable enough to be good at whatever job I end up at. But that's certainly a good way to look at things.

On topic though, I don't have a ton to mess around with but I'm putting some in a mutual fund soon. Once I get enough I'd love to start trading on my own but that's still probably a few years away. In the meantime I use Investopedia's stock simulator :laugh:

I'd recommend learning through paper trades first. This way you can't lose any money but you get to experience just what it would be like if you were in the market. By paper trades, for those that don't know, you simply start with an amount that you think you might end up trading with in the future. Then you research your stock, once you find one you want to buy, you write down the price and the amount of shares you hope to buy. Then you track it over months and see how you would have done. Never hurts to do this a lot but can hurt a lot if you don't learn to crawl before trying to sprint. I know it may sound stupid to some but it can be a very useful learning tool if you are honest with yourself and put the work in.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Been waiting for this thread!

Been investing heavily for the past five or so years. Recently been in more of a selling mood...never a bad thing to take some profit. I've had fun with it (really become a huge hobby for me) and I've been reasonably successful so far. Success is sometimes fleeting in the market, so I'll enjoy it while I can lol.

Also, Ryan Atwood, I've owned BAC for a fair amount of time. It is SO TEMPTING with that valuation, but as I've learned this company always manages to screw it up somehow.

I'm making a little money on it, but the is stock nowhere near where I thought it would be.

I personally really like oil right now for investing. It's not as low as it was, but lots of good options for this industry still IMO.

If you want to get involved, but are scared/nervous about investing...invest in index funds. Proven way over the long term that will very likely earn you a decent earnings.

The number one thing I've learned is never to panic sell...nothing wrong with getting rid of a loser (we all have them at some point, me included. Had to sell of Petrobras at a significant loss...that one really hurt), but only sell if you truly think the stock is done. History shows that over the long haul stocks generally have peaks and valleys...sometimes have to stick with a loser for long periods of time, but patience usually pays off in this market. Also, I find that I don't really truly understand stock until I watch it for at least three months. The key really is patience and research.

Any industries you guys particularly recommend right now? Small cap seems to be the way to go...valuations are so high. Not familiar enough with Bio-Tech to invest heavily in it, but good on you for participating in that. Can certainly make some big profits.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Been waiting for this thread!

Been investing heavily for the past five or so years. Recently been in more of a selling mood...never a bad thing to take some profit. I've had fun with it (really become a huge hobby for me) and I've been reasonably successful so far. Success is sometimes fleeting in the market, so I'll enjoy it while I can lol.

Also, Ryan Atwood, I've owned BAC for a fair amount of time. It is SO TEMPTING with that valuation, but as I've learned this company always manages to screw it up somehow.

I'm making a little money on it, but the is stock nowhere near where I thought it would be.

I personally really like oil right now for investing. It's not as low as it was, but lots of good options for this industry still IMO.

If you want to get involved, but are scared/nervous about investing...invest in index funds. Proven way over the long term that will very likely earn you a decent earnings.

The number one thing I've learned is never to panic sell...nothing wrong with getting rid of a loser (we all have them at some point, me included. Had to sell of Petrobras at a significant loss...that one really hurt), but only sell if you truly think the stock is done. History shows that over the long haul stocks generally have peaks and valleys...sometimes have to stick with a loser for long periods of time, but patience usually pays off in this market. Also, I find that I don't really truly understand stock until I watch it for at least three months. The key really is patience and research.

Any industries you guys particularly recommend right now? Small cap seems to be the way to go...valuations are so high. Not familiar enough with Bio-Tech to invest heavily in it, but good on you for participating in that. Can certainly make some big profits.

some good points/tips, I bolded the best ones.

I almost bought BAC at 5 bucks, but I already owned Citi and they were a rival so I sat that one out, oh well. I still worry about their exposure to lawsuits so I won't go near it unless lots of other things I like fall apart badly.

The market wants you to panic and sell just as they want you to panic and buy into the storm. Knowing when to get in and especially get out is not easy and even the best in the business will screw it up. If it was easy everyone would do but as you said it never hurts to take profit and I can't stress that one enough cause it's extremely true.

valuations are high, but with the summer months often you see stocks run flat so if you bide your time you might find some value out there. I am way overweight small cap bio-tech/pharma stocks but I don't recommend them to anyone that isn't a pro but they can be a lot of fun to follow and a good learning tool to both the upside and downside. Like todays action is EBIO, but that's how bad it can get when your drug fails phase III.

One sector I have started to look at is the social media, was thinking of taking a position in LNKD as it's been hammered, had a small amount of twitter but got out in the 50's by luck as I just didn't how it was trading (did much better with facebook in the 40's wish I bought more) The sector has been getting hit so if it keeps dropping I might circle back.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
some good points/tips, I bolded the best ones.

I almost bought BAC at 5 bucks, but I already owned Citi and they were a rival so I sat that one out, oh well. I still worry about their exposure to lawsuits so I won't go near it unless lots of other things I like fall apart badly.

The market wants you to panic and sell just as they want you to panic and buy into the storm. Knowing when to get in and especially get out is not easy and even the best in the business will screw it up. If it was easy everyone would do but as you said it never hurts to take profit and I can't stress that one enough cause it's extremely true.

valuations are high, but with the summer months often you see stocks run flat so if you bide your time you might find some value out there. I am way overweight small cap bio-tech/pharma stocks but I don't recommend them to anyone that isn't a pro but they can be a lot of fun to follow and a good learning tool to both the upside and downside. Like todays action is EBIO, but that's how bad it can get when your drug fails phase III.

One sector I have started to look at is the social media, was thinking of taking a position in LNKD as it's been hammered, had a small amount of twitter but got out in the 50's by luck as I just didn't how it was trading (did much better with facebook in the 40's wish I bought more) The sector has been getting hit so if it keeps dropping I might circle back.

Some good points. You def. know your stuff. I am still learning every day...it is such a fascinating endeavor.

And I have been thinking about social media as well. Not the biggest fan of LNKD (Twitter has been hammered as well), but I do like Facebook. That's what I tried to do with BAC in terms of trying to take advantage of big dips...looks like it is starting to pay off (knock on wood lol). SO MANY litigations.

Nice call on FB getting it in the 40's...that's a nice profit for you. Wish I'd been as prescient.

Last edited:

The Joker*

You want to be greedy when others are fearful. You want to be fearful when others are greedy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Some good points. You def. know your stuff. I am still learning every day...it is such a fascinating endeavor.

And I have been thinking about social media as well. Not the biggest fan of LNKD (Twitter has been hammered as well), but I do like Facebook. That's what I tried to do with BAC in terms of trying to take advantage of big dips...looks like it is starting to pay off (knock on wood lol). SO MANY litigations.

Nice call on FB getting it in the 40's...that's a nice profit for you. Wish I'd been as prescient.

There's two things I know in life, hockey and stocks! I started thinking that Twitter might be facing future lawsuits after I heard about Ashely Judd trying to get people arrested for their threats so I dumped it and within a couple days it tanked. Don't know if I would ever buy again. FB I did well on the stock aside from not buying more but messed up the calls as I just missed the run which would have easily tripled my profits. But buy/selling calls and puts is very, very difficult.

When LNKD fell through 200, I thought I would stay away for a little since it broke a key technical level, I wait and see where the support comes in. To me that is so important, you really want to wait and see just where the support is, it doesn't mean you still can't get burned but better to have a feel for where it seems to be bottoming out at. But that is something that can take many years of trading to develop.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
There's two things I know in life, hockey and stocks! I started thinking that Twitter might be facing future lawsuits after I heard about Ashely Judd trying to get people arrested for their threats so I dumped it and within a couple days it tanked. Don't know if I would ever buy again. FB I did well on the stock aside from not buying more but messed up the calls as I just missed the run which would have easily tripled my profits. But buy/selling calls and puts is very, very difficult.

When LNKD fell through 200, I thought I would stay away for a little since it broke a key technical level, I wait and see where the support comes in. To me that is so important, you really want to wait and see just where the support is, it doesn't mean you still can't get burned but better to have a feel for where it seems to be bottoming out at. But that is something that can take many years of trading to develop.

For sure, you can look at charts all you want, but you don't get a feel for the stock unless you watch it for some extended period.

Haven't even bothered getting into the Puts/Calls segment of trading, but I've been starting to look into it. If I'm honest, I've been very lucky...when I first started let's just say my investment strategy wasn't exactly complex. "I recognize Microsoft...let's buy that!"

It's come a long, long way...:laugh:

I bought some BABA and O recently. BABA for the long term and O for the stability/yield. Bought both on dips. The BABA earnings report was a blessing...figured this counter-fitting issue was overblown (although it's still a major issue of course).

What's your favorite metric...like P/E, P/B etc? And how much do you take the yield into account?

Last edited:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I've dabbled a bit, but am certainly looking to do much more. Of course, time and extra cash are holding my back. Right now, killing debt and investing in myself are higher priorities.

I've done some basic trading recently though. Bought into Lithium as I see great demand as we eventually move into electric vehicles and away from massive power grids. Also bought into GoPro.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For sure, you can look at charts all you want, but you don't get a feel for the stock unless you watch it for some extended period.

Haven't even bothered getting into the Puts/Calls segment of trading, but I've been starting to look into it. If I'm honest, I've been very lucky...when I first started let's just say my investment strategy wasn't exactly complex. "I recognize Microsoft...let's buy that!"

It's come a long, long way...:laugh:

I bought some BABA and O recently. BABA for the long term and O for the stability/yield. Bought both on dips. The BABA earnings report was a blessing...figured this counter-fitting issue was overblown (although it's still a major issue of course).

What's your favorite metric...like P/E, P/B etc? And how much do you take the yield into account?

It was the same for me, I got into stocks at a younger age back in High School. I didn't have a clue what I was doing but got lucky as I made money on every trade so I think that's why I got hooked as it was just seemed like the way to go. Took a long time to be able to trade options and while I use them to hedge it can still go very wrong. If you get involved with puts/calls just be very, very careful.

I don't trust BABA so I stayed out, have had a few China stocks over the years but mainly I prefer to stay clear. I know it's not the smartest move since their econ has been killing it but I just don't trust anything I read from there.

I don't know if I have a favorite metric, I know the one I hate is P/E, refuse to ever look at it. I like ROE, debt to cash ratio, short interest (a must to look at), the 50 and 200 moving averages.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've dabbled a bit, but am certainly looking to do much more. Of course, time and extra cash are holding my back. Right now, killing debt and investing in myself are higher priorities.

I've done some basic trading recently though. Bought into Lithium as I see great demand as we eventually move into electric vehicles and away from massive power grids. Also bought into GoPro.

nothing wrong with killing debt and investing in your self. I looked at GoPro after it got hammered, have done really well with TASR which makes the body cams for police so needless to say that one has easily been one of my best calls. Kicking my self for not pulling the trigger on TSLA at 170 since it's 250 but that's nothing compared to the buy I passed on for Netflix at 57, hot damn did I miss a massive run up.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
nothing wrong with killing debt and investing in your self. I looked at GoPro after it got hammered, have done really well with TASR which makes the body cams for police so needless to say that one has easily been one of my best calls. Kicking my self for not pulling the trigger on TSLA at 170 since it's 250 but that's nothing compared to the buy I passed on for Netflix at 57, hot damn did I miss a massive run up.

Sure, it's easy to look at a chart at a low and a high and think what if you had perfect timing. We'd all be billionairs.

Anyway, I feel I'm way ahead of the game as at least I think about investing and have kept my debt relatively low. Granted, I don't make much money from my job and don't own anything nice or go anywhere, but still.

Considering getting in on Fitbit when it hits. Could be interesting.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Sure, it's easy to look at a chart at a low and a high and think what if you had perfect timing. We'd all be billionairs.

Anyway, I feel I'm way ahead of the game as at least I think about investing and have kept my debt relatively low. Granted, I don't make much money from my job and don't own anything nice or go anywhere, but still.

Considering getting in on Fitbit when it hits. Could be interesting.

The younger we start, the better off we will be. So good for you sir! Nice to have that money working for ya.

And yep, we all have "those" stories. :laugh:

I seriously considered FB when it was near its all time low (around 12 bucks).

Mistakes were made.

And montreal, ya China is def. iffy in regards to information, but I just feel really strongly about BABA. It's scale alone makes me confident. I bought it after the big dip from the first earnings...it's been a little of a rough ride, but it's clawing its way back up.

I think that is what hooked me as well (my relative success). In hindsight, I realize I was very lucky to start in 2009. Stocks were still quite low and more than fairly valued.

Good call on short interest...if other people are concerned, you should be too. My main thing is debt level...if it is too crippling, I tend to stay away.

Last edited:

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
More into real estate investing however I have been thinking about trying out REITS.

Anyone have an opinion on REITS good or bad?

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
More into real estate investing however I have been thinking about trying out REITS.

Anyone have an opinion on REITS good or bad?

I'm invested in two reits. I like them. Not a lot of growth or volatility, but that's what I wanted. I bought them for their monthly dividend. You're getting the benefits of owning real estate without the headache of finding tenants, etc. Companies are legally obligated to pay out 90% of their earnings in dividends to shareholders.

Pick a good reit in a good location and I think you'll do okay.

Eventually I'd like to have about 50k strictly in reits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad