The stock market thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
My two favorite stocks i own are disney and under armour. Got myself some Disney at 94 and UA at 67 then again at 77 recently. Also own fb, twtr, tsla, scty and bank of ireland

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
More into real estate investing however I have been thinking about trying out REITS.

Anyone have an opinion on REITS good or bad?

This is pertinent because I quite literally just bought one (Stock Ticker "O")

I like them a lot...very stable and by law they have to give most of their profits to shareholders.

Probably aren't going to make huge capital gains, but it's a nice play to make in this kind of environment with high valuations IMO. It's a conservative play, but that's ok!

Nice explanation of REITs (not that you need it, but a good tool nevertheless).

https://www.reit.com/investing/reit-basics/what-reit

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
My two favorite stocks i own are disney and under armour. Got myself some Disney at 94 and UA at 67 then again at 77 recently. Also own fb, twtr, tsla, scty and bank of ireland

Bought DIS about two years ago...haven't looked back since.

Man this company just prints money. And with Star Wars coming out...I still think this company has room to make even more capital gains IMO.

Nice call on Under Armour...that's one of those ones I heard about a little too late. Congrats man. :) All I hear is good things about the management.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Bought DIS about two years ago...haven't looked back since.

Man this company just prints money. And with Star Wars coming out...I still think this company has room to make even more capital gains IMO.

Nice call on Under Armour...that's one of those ones I heard about a little too late. Congrats man. :) All I hear is good things about the management.

Yea it's gonna be a fun ride this year with Disney. The avengers 2 has been killing it too and lots of other stuff in the works. Hard to find anything to complain about with Under armour. just keeps chugging along. My parents have killed it on UA

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Averaged down on some oil stocks yesterday.

Going to do some buying next week.

Oil stocks in general aren't as low as they once were a couple months ago, but I still think you can find some value in this industry.

Agree with your assessment. Any particular ones you looking at more than others?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sure, it's easy to look at a chart at a low and a high and think what if you had perfect timing. We'd all be billionairs.

Anyway, I feel I'm way ahead of the game as at least I think about investing and have kept my debt relatively low. Granted, I don't make much money from my job and don't own anything nice or go anywhere, but still.

Considering getting in on Fitbit when it hits. Could be interesting.

yea but when you do this for a living it really hurts to see such huge profits pass you by. At the same time you just have to chalk it up, you can't be right all the time.

I don't know what Fitbit is but I will look into it.

The younger we start, the better off we will be. So good for you sir! Nice to have that money working for ya.

And yep, we all have "those" stories. :laugh:

I seriously considered FB when it was near its all time low (around 12 bucks).

Mistakes were made.

And montreal, ya China is def. iffy in regards to information, but I just feel really strongly about BABA. It's scale alone makes me confident. I bought it after the big dip from the first earnings...it's been a little of a rough ride, but it's clawing its way back up.

I think that is what hooked me as well (my relative success). In hindsight, I realize I was very lucky to start in 2009. Stocks were still quite low and more than fairly valued.

Good call on short interest...if other people are concerned, you should be too. My main thing is debt level...if it is too crippling, I tend to stay away.

I had considered buying some Yahoo shares prior to the IPO of BABA, but I wasn't 100% sold on yahoo either so I passed.

As for debt level, it depends on the sector and what kind of rev they are projected to do in the future. That's why bio-techs are so difficult since projecting a few years out is so hard to do. I should have made a killing today on one of my top picks, ACHN as they just announced huge news last night but instead it got hammered likely due to shorts trying to take advantage before it runs up. thought about buying more but already have a lot invested in it, still thinking about it.

More into real estate investing however I have been thinking about trying out REITS.

I've had REITS in the past and done well with them in the past, if you get a good div on it all the better.

My first two stocks were DIS and Snapple. I got DIS at 39 and sold it at 110, have recommend them a lot in the past to people that look for more safety as DIS is just a well run company that makes money.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Oil stocks in general aren't as low as they once were a couple months ago, but I still think you can find some value in this industry.

Agree with your assessment. Any particular ones you looking at more than others?

Adding to current positions in legacy oil and gas, & crescent point energy. Not opening anything new. I am comfortable buying at these levels.

I believe Goldmann is shorting oil so I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

My next new position, I think, will be Wells Fargo. At some point.

What about you? Any companies on your watch list?

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Question. What would you more experienced investors do in this situation.

Let's say you bought 2000 shares in oil company. For 1. Oil company has great assets and are bought by bigger oil company for 7 per share. Congrats you just made 12,000!

Do you sell immediately take profits and diversify your portfolio with it? Or do you wait?

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

Let's say you bought 2000 shares in oil company. For 1. Oil company has great assets and are bought by bigger oil company for 7 per share. Congrats you just made 12,000!

Do you sell immediately take profits and diversify your portfolio with it? Or do you wait?

Depends really...do you think it has a realistic shot of going up?

If so, keep it.

If not, never a bad thing to take a profit and run. If you are feeling any doubt, I would just sell it personally.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Adding to current positions in legacy oil and gas, & crescent point energy. Not opening anything new. I am comfortable buying at these levels.

I believe Goldmann is shorting oil so I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

My next new position, I think, will be Wells Fargo. At some point.

What about you? Any companies on your watch list?

Been following WFC ever since the stress tests were last released (I know a little late on the ball lol).

Think it is one of the better run banks in North America. The valuation is kinda high right now though I would say.

I have a big watch list...the ones I am most excited about are PHO (water etf) and JACK (jack in the box). I really think water will be treated as a commodity in the future...want to get in on this industry and an ETF seems like a good way to do it. As far as JACK, I just think it's a smart company with a good niche...late night food at affordable prices. Very well run company with excellent marketing. Also, John Deere and PG as relatively safe stocks. I like DE especially since it is a pretty good value right now IMO.

I'm always looking for new stocks to start watching...I'll take any suggestions from anyone. :) I learn more each day...that's what makes this field so fascinating.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Been following WFC ever since the stress tests were last released (I know a little late on the ball lol).

Think it is one of the better run banks in North America. The valuation is kinda high right now though I would say.

I have a big watch list...the ones I am most excited about are PHO (water etf) and JACK (jack in the box). I really think water will be treated as a commodity in the future...want to get in on this industry and an ETF seems like a good way to do it. As far as JACK, I just think it's a smart company with a good niche...late night food at affordable prices. Very well run company with excellent marketing. Also, John Deere and PG as relatively safe stocks. I like DE especially since it is a pretty good value right now IMO.

I'm always looking for new stocks to start watching...I'll take any suggestions from anyone. :) I learn more each day...that's what makes this field so fascinating.

I'm going to buy into that water ETF at some point. That's very forward thinking, and smart.

I'm invested mainly in the Canadian oil sector right now. I don't know how interested you are in investing there , but I really like Kelt exploration. Kel.to

If, and when, the oil sector turns around, there's some nice money to be made with some of the depressed levels right now. Worth checking out for sure.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'd have to look at the company closely but the easy answer is to take the profits. Or you could sell like 1500 shares so if it goes up more you still have some skin in, if it goes down some you reduced your risk exposure by a lot.

I've heard good things about PNC from people that have worked there but I never looked into buying the stock.

I agree on water, used to own philadelphia suburban water which is now called aqua America. Got out of it a long time ago, will get back in some day. I never followed JACK but it's insane what some of these food chains go for these days. chipotle is a monster.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Been waiting for this thread!

The number one thing I've learned is never to panic sell...nothing wrong with getting rid of a loser (we all have them at some point, me included. Had to sell of Petrobras at a significant loss...that one really hurt), but only sell if you truly think the stock is done. History shows that over the long haul stocks generally have peaks and valleys...sometimes have to stick with a loser for long periods of time, but patience usually pays off in this market. Also, I find that I don't really truly understand stock until I watch it for at least three months. The key really is patience and research.

Mistakes were made.

Good call on short interest...if other people are concerned, you should be too. My main thing is debt level...if it is too crippling, I tend to stay away.

Ha! I was gonna ask if you were ready to get back into Petrobras....but think you answered that.

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006

Not a huge fan of REITs. They're not nearly as tax efficient as owning real estate yourself (if you can afford it). Also, there is no way REITs will be able to sell a big chunk of the properties they are comprised of in any short-term period. REIT values seem to be based on overly optimistic assumptions.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I'd have to look at the company closely but the easy answer is to take the profits. Or you could sell like 1500 shares so if it goes up more you still have some skin in, if it goes down some you reduced your risk exposure by a lot.

Thank you. This is my line of thinking as well. I'm going to sell a large chunk of the shares if and when it happens with this rumoured buyout. I could diversify that cash into safer stocks/index funds and reward myself with a trip.

But I think it would eat at me if I sold the stock, and it went up to 10 bucks (What it was before oil crashed) per share, knowing I could have made $18,000 instead of $12,000.

That's the intensity, and "fun" of the stock market though.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Ha! I was gonna ask if you were ready to get back into Petrobras....but think you answered that.

LOL nope. :laugh:

Biggest mistake I've ever made. Government run corporation...something I never want to be involved with ever again. They have responsibilities to the Brazilian government/people that hamstring what would otherwise be a world-class company.

I've learned from it though...honestly it was probably good for me to have that titanic of a failure. Relatively cheap mistake.

Ended well...sold it at a huge loss and invested the remain moneys into DIS...it's worked out. :)

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
anyone looking at the shopify ipo being launched today? 17 bucks a share.

Try and avoid those IPOS as much as I can. Just so crazy.

It's so easy to get caught up in it all though. I couldn't help myself with BABA (though I didn't buy any, I was following it like a hawk).

Generally though just a good idea to stay away from what I've seen. Just too many unknowns IMO.

I checked out that Canadian oil stock by the way...I am intrigued. Thanks for the insight. :)

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
kelt?

Great company. Tons and tons of insider ownership. Great management . They recently closed the acquisition of artek exploration. And they have a ton of experience with the Montney.

Really like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->