Speculation: The state of the Winnipeg Franchise

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
This team is going to be competitive and a lot of fun to watch as long as Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Roslovic, Morrissey and Hellebuyck are around. And they are all Jets property for at least the next 3.7 years.
We should trade him and tank so we can hope to draft a player like Laine.
Clever. I was thinking more along the lines of a centreman since we've been trying to find and hold a viable 2nd line C for the last number of years. The consensus is that we have a ton of skilled wingers and even without Laine we'd still have a lot of them.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I believe that Laine has no interest in being here long term, so it would be wise to trade him by the deadline to avoid having another Trouba situation on our hands. If we manage to make the playoffs, I can't see us being a contender and would rather see us miss by a long shot and have better odds in the lottery. Now is the year to tank, in my opinion, and prepare for a possible resurgence next season.
IF Laine does not want to sign here long term (ie requests a trade) then you make that deal at the draft. I can't imagine any playoff team / team on the cusp paying the necessary assets to acquire Laine at the deadline. For non playoff teams Chevy would be asking for the 2020 1st and would be better to wait for the lottery balls to know where the pick would be.

ps Laine is part of the core of this team.

Reactions: JetsNut

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't believe what some are saying on here , we have a very young talented team , there has been a tonne of changes on the defense that is going to take more than 17 games to figure out especially without Buff . We have made the playoffs 2 years in a row after only getting in once in 7 seasons . I could understand big changes if we were a old team but we are still super young and if Buff doesn't come back we will gain a tonne of cap room to get a good defenseman . I say don't give up yet , we are only 17 games into the season and we are right on the playoff bubble not 1-16 .
Couldn't agree more. The good thing is the team isn't giving up and is actually showing signs of settling into a groove. Rosie looking as good as he did moving up the lineup is very encouraging. Pionk has been a good add and Helly looks to be on path to a very good year. I think the resolution of the Buff situation will be key. Either he comes back for the last couple months or we upgrade with his cap space for the stretch.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Clever. I was thinking more along the lines of a centreman since we've been trying to find and hold a viable 2nd line C for the last number of years. The consensus is that we have a ton of skilled wingers and even without Laine we'd still have a lot of them.

I think with Laine's recent production, getting a top C for him might be tough. A lot of teams want him to play with their C - Habs fans, for example, wanted to trade him to play with Kotkaniemi or Domi, not to trade either of them for Laine.

Plus, as the above poster said, the draft is the time to do it, if you're going to.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I believe that Laine has no interest in being here long term, so it would be wise to trade him by the deadline to avoid having another Trouba situation on our hands. If we manage to make the playoffs, I can't see us being a contender and would rather see us miss by a long shot and have better odds in the lottery. Now is the year to tank, in my opinion, and prepare for a possible resurgence next season.

What did I just read.

Trading Laine would be dumb as f***.

giphy.gif

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
a lot of hot takes around here today, which really comes as no surprise.

trade laine, (lol), fire Maurice, fire chevy, and the team will be gone in 5 years.

lets have a look at some of the facts.

we have had 4 players take the ice this year for the first time in the nhl.

buf not playing and having surgery was a bit of a surprise.

we have had some very unfortunate injuries at bad times.

so with us playing with what a lot of you try and paint as an ahl defence…….

we are 2 pts behind the leafs after playing the same number of games.

and we are not on the hook for 40 mil for 4 players.

I do not think we are in a bad position at all.

once the buf situation is settled, we will either have him back, or we will have his salary to bring in a defenceman

the season could of gone a lot better, but it is far from the doom and gloom some seem to take a lot of pleasure in spouting

Last edited:

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
What did I just read.

Trading Laine would be dumb as ****.

giphy.gif

It wouldn’t make any sense. The 21 year old appears to be having a good bounce-back year with 14 pts in 15 games, and he hasn’t even gone on much of a goal scoring streak yet (which we all know will come with that shot...). Laine ain’t going anywhere.

Reactions: JetsNut and Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Howard Chuck
I've been thinking about my back and forth here yesterday and thought I would try to post concisely what I feel this year, if anyone cares :)

I love hockey, it's my favorite sport. The Jets are obviously my favorite team. I still get excited for every single game and I high five anyone around me for any goal scored by anyone on the team.

Like many of you, I spend the entire season rearranging my schedule where possible, to watch games live, although not as much as those on the other side of the world. Much props to you folks!

The season is 8 or hopefully 9 months long or so, the longer the better obviously.

There are many things out of anyone's control and that is especially apparent this season. It's just been one disaster after another. To be perfectly honest, I don't care if it's someone's fault (Chevy/Maurice) why our roster is built the way it is. It doesn't matter to me at this point, because it is what it is now and it's my team.

What I do care about is taking this (now) underdog team and using every ounce of strategy, analytics, motivation, physical performance, chemistry (I know some of you hate this term :) ), research and whatever else is available, to make this group of very young and talented forwards, and depleted D corps the very best they can be. I'll leave goaltending out of it, because it's been great anyway so far.

If all of the above means a losing season, but we've tried everything, I'm fine with that. But if we do inefficient things and leave options off the table, I get frustrated watching other teams make adjustments and learn from the past.

TL;DR - We have what we have for a roster. Our forward group is very talented, our D is very depleted, our Goaltending has been very good. As a fan who is going to watch every game all season, I only want to see this group maximized like other teams are doing.

YMMV.

Just came across this post in a PGT that was already closed. Very good post Chuck and it fits this thread, IMO. I would give you 100 likes if that was possible. :) :thumbu::thumbu:

The one thing that I would like to add to your comments about roster is that roster in this context should include players on the Moose who are available for the price of a phone call. Within the requirements of development (Heinola), we should also be making the most of those players (Niku).

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
We have several young star players locked up long-term on good value contracts...Ehlers, Connor, Scheifele, Morrissey, Hellebuyck. It’s always hard on the cap when you first sign these players but as the Cap goes up in the future, these become incredible value and all these players are proven stars.

Obviously, we are weak on D. We do have several young players with plenty of potential (Niku, Samberg, Heinola) and Pionk looks good.

Yes, this is a bubble year (but if Buff does come back, that’s a huge lift and helps patch over the development gap for the next couple of years).

I think the franchise is well set up for the next several years. To see the Doom and Gloom from some of you...heh, that never surprises me anymore.

Reactions: GNP

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Like trading Trouba?

Let’s not even begin to compare the level of talent from one to the other. Trouba is ordinary in comparison to the raw talent that Laine has. Scoring goals is the only thing you can’t teach in this game. For Laine it comes naturally.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Even then, they waited a few seasons before actually moving him. They didn't move him when he immediately signalled he was leaving as soon as he could.

I think this is another example of how good our gm is.

after it all, it did turn into a win for everyone.

the rangers got a good defenceman.

trouba got what he wanted.

chevy got years of trouba at far less than he might of paid if trouba had signed a contract.

in effect waiting him out.

and as I said in a main board thread.....

I would rather have pionk at his salary, and 3 elc years of heinola…..

than trouba

Reactions: KingBogo

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I’m pretty sure everyone will now agree that getting Pionk and Heinola for Trouba is a great return. EVEN without factoring in the monetary difference!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad