Speculation: The state of the Winnipeg Franchise

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
So if the team performance under Maurice doesn’t merit a change, you hope that the team craters much below expectations to force a change?

WHAT?!

All these posters wanting a new coach have no idea who that new coach would be and it’s probably going to be an untested coach or some underwhelming retread.

Let’s ignore the fact Maurice coached up all these young players and took this team further than any other coach in Jets 1.0 and 2.0 history.

Just LOL.

Let's ignore the fact that Maurice coached all these young players to a 114 point season 2 years ago only to coach the same team, with 1 more year of experience, to a 99 point season and a first round exit in the playoffs. Maurice should have been fired at the end of last season.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Let's ignore the fact that Maurice coached all these young players to a 114 point season 2 years ago only to coach the same team, with 1 more year of experience, to a 99 point season and a first round exit in the playoffs. Maurice should have been fired at the end of last season.

Ok but you're ignoring the fact he didn't have Hendricks in the room for most of last year

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perhaps I didn't follow this closely enough but I don't recall hearing anything official that QC withdrew their bid.

Withdrawn was not the word they used. Can't recall exactly. It wasn't withdrawn but it was put on hold. Regardless of the words used, it was not available when the expansion decision was made. It means the bid was not rejected.

I think they hoped the $C would rebound and they could revive their bid. But the expansion fee has risen 30% now so even a revived $C wouldn't get the cost back to what it had been. They would be looking at about 1 bil $C now.

I think Florida is still their best bet. They claim attendance of 13,795 but I'm suspicious of the number and also of how much people are actually paying to get in. Is it $10 a seat with a free hotdog and a beer? Do people come for the hotdog and beer and then leave before the game? They have a crazy lease arrangement that gives them a lot of money just for showing up but it still can't be economical and I'm sure they could negotiate out of that lease.

I can't find any more recent numbers but Forbes had them losing 21 mil in '18. I believe that is after the lease provisions are taken into account.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Despite knowing that there would be a lot of changes this year, I think they crossed their fingers that a lot of stars lined up just right, such as:

1. Velly making the team and being an impact rookie.
2. Stanley making the team as a regular.
3. Niku making the team as a regular.
4. Get a big return for Trouba which would give instant results.
5. Hellebuyck, Ehlers and Laine having bounce-back seasons.
6. Continued offensive reliability from Scheifele and Wheeler.
7. Good luck with health/injuries or anything else "unexpected".

Of that list, we got number 4 so far. In other words, the strategy seemed to be "keep your fingers crossed and hope for a best case scenerio at all times" or accept the fact that the playoffs are a pipe dream.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
What makes you think a different coach wouldn't have coached the young players better (almost assuredly he would have) or taken the team further than Maurice did and for longer?

I will agree that having Chevy making coach-hiring decisions is an accident waiting to happen.

The fact that Maurice coached up a lot of very young players and let them to the WCF speaks well of him.

Would another hypothetical coach have done better? I suppose that’s a possibility but the bar from two years ago was very high.

Even a guy like Babcock can struggle with a young, talented team. Let’s not be so hasty to pull the trigger because we’re not in the midst of a Dynasty.

Any coach would find this year’s roster very challenging.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The fact that Maurice coached up a lot of very young players and let them to the WCF speaks well of him.

Would another hypothetical coach have done better? I suppose that’s a possibility but the bar from two years ago was very high.

Even a guy like Babcock can struggle with a young, talented team. Let’s not be so hasty to pull the trigger because we’re not in the midst of a Dynasty.

Your last paragraph states the reason why maurice isnt going anywhere

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Last year was not a good follow-up. Injuries were an issue, and contract year players were a distraction.

Things don’t always go in a straight line. Sure, I’ll take a negative to Maurice for last year but I wouldn’t knee jerk reaction fire him like you would to get some scrub coach here.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
So if the team performance under Maurice doesn’t merit a change, you hope that the team craters much below expectations to force a change?

WHAT?!

All these posters wanting a new coach have no idea who that new coach would be and it’s probably going to be an untested coach or some underwhelming retread.

Let’s ignore the fact Maurice coached up all these young players and took this team further than any other coach in Jets 1.0 and 2.0 history.

Just LOL.

If you think Maurice is going to take this team further than its already been...well...I think that's completely insane.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg

You’re overrating Babcock.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Honestly this team is a lottery team and I am more than okay with that. With all the personnel changes throughout the offseason I’ve adjusted my expectations and slipping back and drafting somewhere in the 5-10 range is what I expect. A little lotto luck and that #2 centre this team needs will be ours.

Hopefully next offseason is better to us and we can get back on track with more internal growth and a couple of solid additions to the defense.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'm actually more concerned about the insane volume or injuries and drama surrounding the team in the offseason and now. Feels a bit like things are spiralling out of control and there's no clear agenda on how to manage it and what to do next. In an org that so prizes a steady (and largely leakproof) ship I wonder if there's some real tension within management on what this ongoing flurry of bad and simply bizarre news is doing to the Jets brand and reputation and at what point it might be worth bringing in some reliable outside expertise -- a Hendricks for the boardroom, as it were.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Hope to see this in June, at the very end of the broadcast...

IMG_4798-300x225.jpg

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I'm actually more concerned about the insane volume or injuries and drama surrounding the team in the offseason and now. Feels a bit like things are spiralling out of control and there's no clear agenda on how to manage it and what to do next. In an org that so prizes a steady (and largely leakproof) ship I wonder if there's some real tension within management on what this ongoing flurry of bad and simply bizarre news is doing to the Jets brand and reputation and at what point it might be worth bringing in some reliable outside expertise -- a Hendricks for the boardroom, as it were.
This! Just wondering if Dale H. or some others might not be an equally good “Hendricks for the boardroom”.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Honestly this team is a lottery team and I am more than okay with that. With all the personnel changes throughout the offseason I’ve adjusted my expectations and slipping back and drafting somewhere in the 5-10 range is what I expect. A little lotto luck and that #2 centre this team needs will be ours.

Hopefully next offseason is better to us and we can get back on track with more internal growth and a couple of solid additions to the defense.
That still leaves a lot of hope and luck that the D will develop into a not horrid D group.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Much as I don't want to wait years for it to happen, I hope Chevy does NOT try to fix this in the off-season by trade and/or UFA signing. I expect nothing but disaster from that path.

I don't mean he should turn down some other GM offering just what we need in a clear win trade. But how likely is that? I think that if he targets a particular fix we will overpay and the fix will under-deliver.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Much as I don't want to wait years for it to happen, I hope Chevy does NOT try to fix this in the off-season by trade and/or UFA signing. I expect nothing but disaster from that path.

I don't mean he should turn down some other GM offering just what we need in a clear win trade. But how likely is that? I think that if he targets a particular fix we will overpay and the fix will under-deliver.

Agree. Would rather struggle along around .500 this year, gain some experience for those younger players that PoMo is willing to play, and hold onto our assets as part of a mini-reboot. Recent history and high RHD prices suggest that we are likely to lose any trade that involves a winger shipped out for a D-man.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree. Would rather struggle along around .500 this year, gain some experience for those younger players that PoMo is willing to play, and hold onto our assets as part of a mini-reboot. Recent history and high RHD prices suggest that we are likely to lose any trade that involves a winger shipped out for a D-man.

I think we probably need to miss the PO both this year and next, unfortunately. But we should be able to rebound then, stronger than before. Or at least I hope so.

Reactions: JetsUK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad