Speculation: The state of the Winnipeg Franchise

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I just don't feel this current iteration of the team has what it takes to go all the way. I'll be pessimistic here and say we are looking at a period of being a bubble/non-contender team, that will last for a several years. Not to knock on any players specifically; but you could trade this entire team and fire the entire coaching staff and I honestly would not be terribly upset. I just would accept it as representative of the mercenarial/cyclic nature of the modern NHL.

As long as TN's coffers do not run dry and we make it through the down eras, we'll continue to have a team to watch for the foreseeable future, and I'll be good. Basically I've managed to convince myself that not winning championships is 'ok'. :) (re: Bombers)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I just don't feel this current iteration of the team has what it takes to go all the way. I'll be pessimistic here and say we are looking at a period of being a bubble/non-contender team, that will last for a several years. Not to knock on any players specifically; but you could trade this entire team and fire the entire coaching staff and I honestly would not be terribly upset. I just would accept it as representative of the mercenarial/cyclic nature of the modern NHL.

As long as TN's coffers do not run dry and we make it through the down eras, we'll continue to have a team to watch for the foreseeable future, and I'll be good. Basically I've managed to convince myself that not winning championships is 'ok'. :) (re: Bombers)

I'm starting to believe chipman feels the same as you. As long as moneys rolling in hes good.

I guess having a team that makes the playoffs every year will always have a shot at the cup. But what he doesnt say is that it keeps the money rolling in every year as well.

Which one means more??

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'm starting to believe chipman feels the same as you. As long as moneys rolling in hes good.

I guess having a team that makes the playoffs every year will always have a shot at the cup. But what he doesnt say is that it keeps the money rolling in every year as well.

Which one means more??

They're both meaningful. Making the playoffs increases his bottom line for sure, but I don't question his passion. I believe that he would like the team to win the championship more than anyone else on the planet, both for financial and personal reasons.

I'm not going to speculate what means more to him..the money or the other thing. But I will say that he is a lifelong Winnipegger who appears to be a genuine fan of hockey, the community, and keeping hockey here. As for his influence on the on-ice product...he can't do much more than he already is (spending to the cap). He's not a day-to-day hockey operations guy, and I think some people overstate his direct involvement in them.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Which one means more??
A balance perhaps? Your one or the scenario is not how most successful businesses operate.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
One thing I will say is this organization always has an excuse. All summer we couldn't do anything because our rfa contracts. Now it's the buff situation.

I bet if we look back all the way we can find 10 more excuses of why we didnt improve or do something to fix a situation.

It's getting old.
As is Maurice's "mug-shot" behind the bench!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
One thing I will say is this organization always has an excuse. All summer we couldn't do anything because our rfa contracts. Now it's the buff situation.

I bet if we look back all the way we can find 10 more excuses of why we didnt improve or do something to fix a situation.

It's getting old.
I think you are mixing things up a bit. TNSE rarely if ever talks about player acquisitions and contract negotiations, and certainly not before the fact. Fans on the other hand debate it continuously. What I'm reading is what you don't like is people offering reasons why something is difficult or not possible to do at the current time you just want it done no matter any possible consequences.

In terms of the Buff situation as it was spelled out by Murat Ates in the Athletic only a fool would spend that cap money before an arbitrators ruling as the repercussions could be catastrophic if the ruling goes against the Jets.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think you are mixing things up a bit. TNSE rarely if ever talks about player acquisitions and contract negotiations, and certainly not before the fact. Fans on the other hand debate it continuously. What I'm reading is what you don't like is people offering reasons why something is difficult or not possible to do at the current time you just want it done no matter any possible consequences.

In terms of the Buff situation as it was spelled out by Murat Ates in the Athletic only a fool would spend that cap money before an arbitrators ruling as the repercussions could be catastrophic if the ruling goes against the Jets.

Correct

Some fans will be "fans", expecting 100+ point seasons every year and cup contender continually year after year. In reality it's far more difficult & complicated then that.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Correct

Some fans will be "fans", expecting 100+ point seasons every year and cup contender continually year after year. In reality it's far more difficult & complicated then that.
Fans are well within their right to voice displeasure when it’s obvious to many we have a coach who is past his best before date here.
The trend is heading in the wrong direction.
This roster is underachieving in a big way.
What’s so hard to admit this group needs a new message?
I think the roster is good enough to make the playoffs, right now it’s dicey.
The record is not indicative of our overall play.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Fans are well within their right to voice displeasure when it’s obvious to many we have a coach who is past his best before date here.
The trend is heading in the wrong direction.
This roster is underachieving in a big way.
What’s so hard to admit this group needs a new message?
I think the roster is good enough to make the playoffs, right now it’s dicey.
The record is not indicative of our overall play.

That is your opinion and your entitled to it, of course not everyone sees it that way. Ive said since June this was a bubble team and that was before Buff situation. Now with the Buff situation happening this roster might be overachieving and at best is doing exactly what I’ve said they would be for the last like five months.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
That is your opinion and your entitled to it, of course not everyone sees it that way. Ive said since June this was a bubble team and that was before Buff situation. Now with the Buff situation happening this roster might be overachieving and at best is doing exactly what I’ve said they would be for the last like five months.
In June you probably thought Pionk was a scrub. If you knew he was this good you might've been more optimistic.

I'm still optimistic. If Buff comes back in February, I think we're CUP CONTENDERS. Without Buff it's obviously a different story but I think a healthy roster with Beaulieu instead of Buff should still make the playoffs.

Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Roslovic - Ehlers
Perreault - Little - Appleton
Copp - Lowry - Harkins
Morrissey - Buff
Kulikov - Pionk
Niku - Poolman

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
In June you probably thought Pionk was a scrub. If you knew he was this good you might've been more optimistic.

I'm still optimistic. If Buff comes back in February, I think we're CUP CONTENDERS. Without Buff it's obviously a different story but I think a healthy roster with Beaulieu instead of Buff should still make the playoffs.

Copp - Lowry - Harkins
Morrissey - Buff
Kulikov - Pionk
Niku - Poolman

Actually at the time of the trade I was saying Pionk was better then he showed in NY. You put Niku or Ville in that same spot on that team last year and they would of looked horrible also. Now in the end he’s turned out even better then I expected.......

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016

Copp - Lowry - Harkins
Morrissey - Buff
Kulikov - Pionk
Niku - Poolman
The Buff ship has sailed. Much like the titanic.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Things seem to be a bit of a dumpster fire. The Jets haven't been good since December of last year. They look like they have tuned out their coach. He can't get fired soon enough. Garbage level talent on the blue line and Niku rotting with the Moose.

The Moose leaving the market would be the best thing that could happen. They are the sole reason there is so few weekend games. They are only in Winnipeg because Chipman thought that Thunder Bay would build him an arena for free and it fell through.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Things seem to be a bit of a dumpster fire. The Jets haven't been good since December of last year. They look like they have tuned out their coach. He can't get fired soon enough. Garbage level talent on the blue line and Niku rotting with the Moose.

The Moose leaving the market would be the best thing that could happen. They are the sole reason there is so few weekend games. They are only in Winnipeg because Chipman thought that Thunder Bay would build him an arena for free and it fell through.
Okay, wpgsensfan. No obvious bias here.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
I believe that Laine has no interest in being here long term, so it would be wise to trade him by the deadline to avoid having another Trouba situation on our hands. If we manage to make the playoffs, I can't see us being a contender and would rather see us miss by a long shot and have better odds in the lottery. Now is the year to tank, in my opinion, and prepare for a possible resurgence next season.

Reactions: robertocarlos

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I believe that Laine has no interest in being here long term, so it would be wise to trade him by the deadline to avoid having another Trouba situation on our hands. If we manage to make the playoffs, I can't see us being a contender and would rather see us miss by a long shot and have better odds in the lottery. Now is the year to tank, in my opinion, and prepare for a possible resurgence next season.
Trade Laine before this trade deadline? I'm glad Chevy is calling the shots.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Le sigh

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I dont think he wants to leave just yet. But if we shit the bed for a couple years and he stays on the 2nd poweplay etc etc etc then I could see him wanting out.

Time will tell.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

We should trade him and tank so we can hope to draft a player like Laine.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I can't believe what some are saying on here , we have a very young talented team , there has been a tonne of changes on the defense that is going to take more than 17 games to figure out especially without Buff . We have made the playoffs 2 years in a row after only getting in once in 7 seasons . I could understand big changes if we were a old team but we are still super young and if Buff doesn't come back we will gain a tonne of cap room to get a good defenseman . I say don't give up yet , we are only 17 games into the season and we are right on the playoff bubble not 1-16 .

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I can't believe what some are saying on here , we have a very young talented team , there has been a tonne of changes on the defense that is going to take more than 17 games to figure out especially without Buff . We have made the playoffs 2 years in a row after only getting in once in 7 seasons . I could understand big changes if we were a old team but we are still super young and if Buff doesn't come back we will gain a tonne of cap room to get a good defenseman . I say don't give up yet , we are only 17 games into the season and we are right on the playoff bubble not 1-16 .

They said last night on the broadcast that, with Little and Bourque out, the average age of the Jets forwards was 24. Still a very young core here.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad