The St. Louis Blues...look bad

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
A different look to this team that has been hyped up during the off-season. It’s been a rough start so far....are we worried about them as a team moving forward?

1-3-2 through 6

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Pretty sure many Blues fans were hesitant if they had made too many changes but meh, what do I know

The 'look forward' is the next 76~ games

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They could probably use a bit more puckmoving from the backend, but from what I just watched and considering the lineup in and of itself, they just seem to be absolutely shitcoached.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
They could probably use a bit more puckmoving from the backend, but from what I just watched and considering the lineup in and of itself, they just seem to be absolutely ****coached.
Blues fans are not too happy about Yeo’s defensive schemes from what I’ve read so far.

They definitely look messy.

Reactions: behemolari

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I loved the ROR move as well as the Perron and Maroon signing. I don't get the Bozak one. Should have just run Thomas at 3C. Bozak got noticeably slower last season, and on a team with ROR and Schenn that really isn't a good thing. JVR really carried Bozak hard last season and I think now it's showing quite a bit.

Reactions: olli

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Helplessly watching the puck float through the middle at the end of the game has to be the kind of thing that radically ages a coach internally.

I can't imagine what Yeo felt watching that, feeling a point was in the bag and looking towards winning in OT. Those couple of seconds probably took a month off of his life.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
A different look to this team that has been hyped up during the off-season. It’s been a rough start so far....are we worried about them as a team moving forward?

1-3-2 through 6

I won't write a novel, but the Blues had a 3-year window where they were cup competitors - this opened around 2011. Armstrong was somehow able to extend that window to 5 years by some shrewd (shit lucky) trades and free agent signings. The Blues' problem was that they hired one of if not the worst possible coach for a young team trying to win a championship - Ken Hitchcock. The day his hiring was announced I predicted exactly what was going to happen over the next 3 (later 5) years.

Ken Hitchcock is not a terrible coach, he has the ability to elevate a team - but only if its the right team, and only in the regular season. "Right Team" being defined as stocked deep with future HOF veterans. He cannot coach young talent, and he cannot coach playoff hockey in the modern era. He has been irrelevant (and his postseason records prove as much) since the salary cap prevent teams from buying a cup. The only coach in the league with a worse playoff record than him was Todd Mclellan.

Hitch's defensive-minded technical execution is great for awhile, but it burns out players and it prevents offensive stars from shining (or developing) and most importantly it meant no team that he's coached since 2001 was able to elevate its play during the postseason. Grind all year, win division, be burned out, round 1 elimination - 6 games max.

The Blues compounded this boneheaded hiring by extending that senile old man, twice. Then hiring the 3rd worst coach in the NHL as his replacement (the guy that got the Mild into the postseason by getting fired). Now here they are. Their core crumbled, their window closed and they have the 3rd worst coach in the league and possibly the worst starting goaltender. Jay Bouwmeester was old 2 years ago and now he's eating up the most minutes on the team that was once touted for its great defence. They're literally the Red Wings post-Lidstrom retirement but with a much much much weaker core and no winning tradition.

This team has been in a 'rebuild' for 2 years and the GM is totally UNAWARE OF THAT FACT. Case in point - watch this video on Armstrong calling Ryan O'Reilly after the trade this summer:

Management is completely out of touch with reality and the best player on the team is a 20goals/60points center and the top goal scorer is one dimensional and lazy. (Seriously, watch Tarasenko closely during games, not just his goal highlights. He sucks. If the GM wasn't a Pejorative Slur, he would trade him for a king's ransom before the rest of the league finds out what garbage he is.)

BLOSE.png

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I watched the Blues home opener, and I'll admit I was surprised at how much depth I thought they had. Decent player after decent player coming out onto the ice. I think they have too much depth to be bad for very long. They have a nice mix of youth and vets and their vets aren't terribly old. They'll be fine soon enough IMO. I guess Allen might have something to do with their (mis)fortunes though.

Reactions: sfvega

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
that parayko turnover was just awful. 9 seconds left and you cough it up right in front of your net
thats 1-2 pts gone, and it on him

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I loved the ROR move as well as the Perron and Maroon signing. I don't get the Bozak one. Should have just run Thomas at 3C. Bozak got noticeably slower last season, and on a team with ROR and Schenn that really isn't a good thing. JVR really carried Bozak hard last season and I think now it's showing quite a bit.
To be fair, we signed him before the ROR trade, so they probably had him in mind as the 2C, but then the trade happened.

And Yeo is everything Minnesota fans warned us about.

Oct 18, 2011
They have too much talent. This won't last long, but it's crazy too me how a mediocre coach like Yeo gets so many chances

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I won't write a novel, but the Blues had a 3-year window where they were cup competitors - this opened around 2011. Armstrong was somehow able to extend that window to 5 years by some shrewd (**** lucky) trades and free agent signings. The Blues' problem was that they hired one of if not the worst possible coach for a young team trying to win a championship - Ken Hitchcock. The day his hiring was announced I predicted exactly what was going to happen over the next 3 (later 5) years.

Ken Hitchcock is not a terrible coach, he has the ability to elevate a team - but only if its the right team, and only in the regular season. "Right Team" being defined as stocked deep with future HOF veterans. He cannot coach young talent, and he cannot coach playoff hockey in the modern era. He has been irrelevant (and his postseason records prove as much) since the salary cap prevent teams from buying a cup. The only coach in the league with a worse playoff record than him was Todd Mclellan.

Hitch's defensive-minded technical execution is great for awhile, but it burns out players and it prevents offensive stars from shining (or developing) and most importantly it meant no team that he's coached since 2001 was able to elevate its play during the postseason. Grind all year, win division, be burned out, round 1 elimination - 6 games max.

The Blues compounded this boneheaded hiring by extending that senile old man, twice. Then hiring the 3rd worst coach in the NHL as his replacement (the guy that got the Mild into the postseason by getting fired). Now here they are. Their core crumbled, their window closed and they have the 3rd worst coach in the league and possibly the worst starting goaltender. Jay Bouwmeester was old 2 years ago and now he's eating up the most minutes on the team that was once touted for its great defence. They're literally the Red Wings post-Lidstrom retirement but with a much much much weaker core and no winning tradition.

This team has been in a 'rebuild' for 2 years and the GM is totally UNAWARE OF THAT FACT. Case in point - watch this video on Armstrong calling Ryan O'Reilly after the trade this summer:

Management is completely out of touch with reality and the best player on the team is a 20goals/60points center and the top goal scorer is one dimensional and lazy. (Seriously, watch Tarasenko closely during games, not just his goal highlights. He sucks. If the GM wasn't a ******, he would trade him for a king's ransom before the rest of the league finds out what garbage he is.)

View attachment 147581

tell us how you really feel

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Man, are we doing this again this year? Team x looks bad....

It's far to early to make any judgement calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad