The Speculation Thread Part II (Trades,rumors, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Boucher just needs more time to develop. Not like there is space for him next season anyways with Zubrus and Ruutu signed so he may still get another full season in the minors.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Boucher just needs more time to develop. Not like there is space for him next season anyways with Zubrus and Ruutu signed so he may still get another full season in the minors.

what do you mean, "not like there is space for him next season anyways?"

we have the following UFA forwards this summer:

Ryder
Gomez
Bernier
Jagr
Havlat
Tootoo

we have like 7 forwards signed for next year. there is plenty of room for him.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think it's important to note that "Boucher is a very promising young player" and "Boucher has a very little chance of reaching Evander Kane's level" are not mutually exclusive lines of thought.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
I was actually thinking that package with Jagr in it would be something that would interest Wpg IF IF IF they are hell bent on dumping Kane. It would free up a long salary commitment for them with the cap likely dropping, perhaps as much as $5M (depending on how far down the loonie goes, and if the PA doesn't use the escalator). This is cap space they can save or put towards other players they want to lock up.

Jagr would be a great veteran for their playoff run and come off their books at the end of the season. A 2nd as a sweetener (preferably 2016), would also enable them to make another deadline move this year if so desired.

So, yeah, in terms of talent and age, Jagr and a 2 (plus Matteau?) seems like a gross underpayment. But in the context of why WPG is considering trading Kane, it might be exactly what they want.

Plus it helps we are in the East. Kane can't come back to bite them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Tim Campbell ‏@FPTimCampbell 36s37 seconds ago
Paul Maurice says Evander Kane will have shoulder surgery soon, recovery time 4-6 months. #NHLJets #bn

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Tim Campbell ‏@FPTimCampbell 36s37 seconds ago
Paul Maurice says Evander Kane will have shoulder surgery soon, recovery time 4-6 months. #NHLJets #bn

This pretty much screams draft day deal to me, especially if the Jets can secure a playoff spot without him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least by that point we'll know where we're drafting if Lou wants to trade another first rounder

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
-Zids for Pulkinnen, Det boards say they need PMD if I say it enough maybe it happens
-Jags for Rattie, St L has ton of wing prospects
-Bernier to Pitt for pick, boards say they need bottom F depth with strength
-Harrold or similar to The Island for free (or whatever they can get) would grabner be an option with a sweetener, grabs finding it crowded @ Fwd
-Ryder to St Peters Prep JV squad or for practice pucks
-Gomez is cheap and might help bottom F, maybe Isles too, but they have no pick until 3rd round this yr
-Havlat whatever you can get
-Tootoo ditto
-Zubs double ditto
-Ruutuu back to Car for Semin (salary retained, but not as much b/c they retained for Ruutuu to come here)
-Gelly for Yak straight up, but Edm wont go for it
Flame away!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
-Zids for Pulkinnen, Det boards say they need PMD if I say it enough maybe it happens
-Harrold or similar to The Island for free (or whatever they can get) would grabner be an option with a sweetener, grabs finding it crowded @ Fwd
-Gomez is cheap and might help bottom F, maybe Isles too, but they have no pick until 3rd round this yr
-Tootoo ditto
-Zubs double ditto
-Ruutuu back to Car for Semin (salary retained, but not as much b/c they retained for Ruutuu to come here)
Flame away!
How do we ice a team for the last two months of the season?

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
-Tootoo ditto
-Zubs double ditto
Flame away!

The Prep comment made me laugh

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
-Tootoo ditto
-Zubs double ditto
Flame away!

Fans usually have a different perception of players' values than what they really are on the market. It's possible that mini bidding wars for Zids and Jagr could drive up their prices for contending teams that are filling a specific need as well as trying to keep rivals from acquiring those players for themselves. I can tell you now though, that DET and STL board members would say 'never' to those deals. I doubt that they interest the respective teams, they'll want to pay less.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
-Tootoo ditto
-Zubs double ditto
Flame away!

The first one is my current "best case scenario" deadline deal. But there's no way STL gives up a prospect like Rattie for 2ish months of 45-point Jagr.

How do we ice a team for the last two months of the season?

Who cares? Call up Boucher, Matteau, Black, Pelley, Janssen, they won't be up for too long anyway. And it's probably a moot point because Zubrus and Havlat are immovable, IMO, same with Ruutu. I think a team would LOVE to take Bernier though, he could be a real x-factor for a team looking to shore up depth.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The first one is my current "best case scenario" deadline deal. But there's no way STL gives up a prospect like Rattie for 2ish months of 45-point Jagr.

Who cares? Call up Boucher, Matteau, Black, Pelley, Janssen, they won't be up for too long anyway. And it's probably a moot point because Zubrus and Havlat are immovable, IMO, same with Ruutu. I think a team would LOVE to take Bernier though, he could be a real x-factor for a team looking to shore up depth.

With Detroit's depth I could possibly see Lou squeeze Pulkinnen out of them. They have more RW than they know what to do with. They haven't won it all in a while (they must be getting itchy) and with Babcock's contract up it's possible it could be done.

I think Jagr brings back a 3rd line prospect or a 2nd on his own. Some NSH fans said they'd give their 1st for him but I don't know about that.

Seriously, who cares who we ice? We have enough to bring up plus some of these deals will require us to take back duds to fill spots.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fans usually have a different perception of players' values than what they really are on the market. It's possible that mini bidding wars for Zids and Jagr could drive up their prices for contending teams that are filling a specific need as well as trying to keep rivals from acquiring those players for themselves. I can tell you now though, that DET and STL board members would say 'never' to those deals. I doubt that they interest the respective teams, they'll want to pay less.

It goes both ways. There could be little interest and potential value drops.

All the things we complain about about jagr (lack of speed, the penalites) scouts notice too and could seriously hurt value.

This idea that value is high and can only go higher is just false.

It wouldn't surprise me if some GM prefers ryder over Jagr becayse of age and thinking Ryder's woes have to do with the team and not him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

All the things we complain about about jagr (lack of speed, the penalites) scouts notice too and could seriously hurt value.

It wouldn't surprise me if some GM prefers ryder over Jagr becayse of age and thinking Ryder's woes have to do with the team and not him.

so GMs know that Jagr has flaws, but don't notice Ryder's? :laugh:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
With Detroit's depth I could possibly see Lou squeeze Pulkinnen out of them. They have more RW than they know what to do with. They haven't won it all in a while (they must be getting itchy) and with Babcock's contract up it's possible it could be done.

I think Jagr brings back a 3rd line prospect or a 2nd on his own. Some NSH fans said they'd give their 1st for him but I don't know about that.

Seriously, who cares who we ice? We have enough to bring up plus some of these deals will require us to take back duds to fill spots.

It would be nuts if we could grab Pulkinnen in a deal with Detroit. I definitely agree with you that they could be looking to make a splash since they haven't in a while.

As far as Jagr goes, I think it's more realistic to look for a good prospect+conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if the team makes the Conference/Cup Finals. If the trade partner is desperate enough.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

All very true. The dynamics have to account for supply and demand as well though. That's how Martin Erat brings back Forsberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad