The Soviet Hockey Program

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
That's neat, its from the same program I just started my MA in this fall.

I briefly considered writing my thesis on how sports, namely the KHL, have been used to further the political agenda of the Russian government, but decided against it at for something a little more obscure. Still want to write at least a short paper on the topic for a class.

Interested to read what the thesis says, as there is definitely not a lot of material in English about the subject.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Interesting. Do you know of what quality they were

Poorer than the sticks NHL players used. When abroad Soviet players were always keen on getting their hands on foreign equipment. Harder (p.83): "photographs of elite league Soviet players from the 1960's on show them playing with foreign made Jofa, Koho and CCM sticks."

was there a brand name?

Haven't come across anything like that.

Did they export?

Their production was hardly sufficient to satisfy the domestic demand, I doubt they had a lot of sticks to export.

Import higher quality for the elite league & teams? Partnership maybe with say Koho or Torspo or one of the Scandinavian mfgs?

According to Harder one of the task Soviet assistant coaches had when their team was on tour abroad was to ask their foreign opponents whether they had sticks to spare. So there's that kind of "import", in the early days at least, but I don't know anything about any partnership or mass import.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Some direct quotes from Markku Jokisipilä's book about the hockey stick issue, freely translated by me:

"The soviet furniture factories produced hockey sticks from wood that was left-over by-product from the production of their main manufactures, or from wood that was unusable for any other purpose."

"For instance Irkutsk, situated in Southern Siberia, had a chronic shortage of ice hockey sticks even though its geography and climate might have enabled it to become a major ice hockey haven. It was dependent on factories in Saratov, some 5000 km's away, even though factories in Irkutsk were very much capable of starting stick production and raw materials were abundant. But because the national quota plans on Irkutsk manufacturing plants did not include sporting equipment the factory bosses could not include hockey sticks in their repertoire in spite of numerous calls to do so by the local ice hockey figures."

"In Finland the Rahunen family company saw market possibilities in the USSR and it took as their task to spread the clientele of their produce called "Toronto", which was widely used in the Finnish league. They had manufactured an innovative model in which the handle and the blade were of the same wood with no joints/seams needed. When the Moscow Dynamo visited Finland in the early 1960s Rahunen provided them with a stack of sticks. Shortly afterwards Seppo Rahunen received an official invitation from the Russian Ice Hockey Federation to come to Moscow to showcase his sticks, and shortly afterwards many red army players switched to Toronto sticks. Another Finnish producer "Montreal" also ended up being used to the Soviet star players."

"Players too did their best to better their equipment and tried to buy equipment straight from their rivals hockey platers. Because the Soviet players didn't have western currency the trade wasn't that extensive but because some of the western players felt sorry for their Soviet colleagues they occassionaly gave them skates, sticks and other material for free. They also traded sticks for the Soviet-manufactured items which had appeal - matryoshka dolls, Lenin pins, samovars, wooden spoons and vodka did however have only marginal value and Soviet equipment was of little interest. Best exchanges were done with champagne and caviar."

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Interesting, thanks for the inf guys. I know that from about the 70's on touring Eastern Block teams while in North America did sort of "stock~up" on equipment, and into the 80's & beyond was actually quite common that they ask the host teams or organizers for equipment as part of their agreement's to come over & play. Id have thought an enterprising Finn or Swede mightve seen opportunity in Russia supplying stick's & equipment but wasnt sure if that had actually transpired so thanks for confirming that. I remember the Soviets & Czechs equipment, even their jerseys of the 60's & earlier always looking a bit ragged & sort of Gerrymandered, clearly not of the greatest quality but serviceable, did the trick. Having good equipment, certainly the best for elite players, really kind of crucial. Playing at a disadvantage without it.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
^^^ Interesting, thanks for the inf guys. I know that from about the 70's on touring Eastern Block teams while in North America did sort of "stock~up" on equipment, and into the 80's & beyond was actually quite common that they ask the host teams or organizers for equipment as part of their agreement's to come over & play. Id have thought an enterprising Finn or Swede mightve seen opportunity in Russia supplying stick's & equipment but wasnt sure if that had actually transpired so thanks for confirming that. I remember the Soviets & Czechs equipment, even their jerseys of the 60's & earlier always looking a bit ragged & sort of Gerrymandered, clearly not of the greatest quality but serviceable, did the trick. Having good equipment, certainly the best for elite players, really kind of crucial. Playing at a disadvantage without it.

One can only think about the effects of the equipment problem to teams playing in places like Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

If you're interested, a Latvian exchange student did his thesis on Riga Dynamo, under the guidance of Jokisipilä. Apparently it's a very established piece of research, haven't had the time to read it myself but it's in English and can be found online, so if you want, give it a read.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
One can only think about the effects of the equipment problem to teams playing in places like Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

If you're interested, a Latvian exchange student did his thesis on Riga Dynamo, under the guidance of Jokisipilä. Apparently it's a very established piece of research, haven't had the time to read it myself but it's in English and can be found online, so if you want, give it a read.

Fascinating, and thanks for the link. Scanned it, and will also be of interest to the KHL Board here at hf. Havent read it all yet but will.

Cheers. ;)

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

Yeah, that thesis is an enormous pile of horse ****. An established piece of research? Are you kidding me? :laugh:

Also, he's almost certainly an ethnic Russian.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Yeah, that thesis is an enormous pile of horse ****. An established piece of research? Are you kidding me? :laugh:

No, it's certainly an established piece of research.

What's your evidence that it's "horse ****", other than that you apparently don't like it?

No offense intended, but who gives a **** what his ethnicity is?

Do you not like his thesis because of his ethnicity?

Last edited:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

I actually found that thesis the other day while doing research for my own paper, and created a separate topic for it. Didn't even notice you linking it here. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but have utilised some of his sources. Seems interesting though.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland

I evaluate it as established piece because the head of our National Parliament Research Center has namedropped him as a considerable contributor to his recent book which he says to have been working on for 10 years. I value that assessment, as the guy is pretty much the top ranking academic commentator on political history and politics in general in this country due to his position to which he was just elected earlier this year. Was just awarded the Kekkonen trust award too. I take that recognition more seriously than yours.

And what does the guy's ethnicity have to do with his research? Back off with the xenophobia, it's uncalled for even during times as hard as these.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
No, it's certainly an established piece of research.

What's your evidence that it's "horse ****", other than that you apparently don't like it?

No offense intended, but who gives a **** what his ethnicity is?

Do you not like his thesis because of his ethnicity?
It's not just that I personally dislike his thesis, it's that he pushes a specific pro-Russian agenda throughout the entirety of it.

Shedding a positive light on an element of Kremlin's own soft-power doctrine is indicative of the author's true intentions and his own political views. It strongly reminds me of Kremlin's official stance, particularly on various IR issues.

Namely, the Kremlin's ideology and their moral reasoning is built around their own short-term interests and the wording in his thesis is strongly resemblant of that specific style of intellectually dishonest casuistry that is central to the rhetoric of other Russian politicians, diplomats and pseudo-academics.

Calling it 'science' or 'an established piece of research' would be an absolute abomination.

In this case, his political views and the content of his thesis highly likely is a simple function of his ethnicity, as Latvia is an ethnically polarized society.

It's very easy to spot that, at least looking from my perspective. :)

In any case, I suggest you take it with a bucket of salt, and also keep in mind that it doesn't in any way reflect on actual Latvian views on the subject at hand.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I evaluate it as established piece because the head of our National Parliament Research Center has namedropped him as a considerable contributor to his recent book which he says to have been working on for 10 years.
An appeal to authority? Try again.

It would also help if you named the guy. Kremlin has been investing a tremendous amount of money to buy up a number of Western media outlets, politicians, opinion leaders, members of the academia, etc.

So it might be possible that he has some ties to the Kremlin. Although, obviously, it is possible that he simply is incompetent or that it was an honest mistake on his part.

And what does the guy's ethnicity have to do with his research? Back off with the xenophobia, it's uncalled for even during times as hard as these.
Xenophobia? :laugh: I already explained that part.

Last edited by a moderator:

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
An appeal to authority? Try again.

It would also help if you named the guy. Kremlin has been investing a tremendous amount of money to buy up a number of Western media outlets, politicians, opinion leaders, members of the academia, etc.

So it might be possible that he has some ties to the Kremlin. Although, obviously, it is possible that he simply is incompetent or that it was an honest mistake on his part.

Xenophobia? :laugh: I already explained that part.

I would have PM'd you with the information but since your implications are so strong, I just have to openly answer this, coming from the same university AND department. The man I'm quoting is Markku Jokisipilä, profile found here. I'm very well of the accusations of some academics who favor Kremlin opinion to the point that it's absurd. Finnish National Broadcasting published a weekly review of the ways in which Finland is mediated in Russia and the environment is very objective and constructive of all opinion-makers who discuss Russia with a viewpoint that separates itself from the current climate. If you want to investigate such examples, Johan Bäckman is a good name to start with.

I'm currently not under the assumption that Jokisipilä has been the leading thesis reviewer (the thesis requires two), but a considerable role can be self-evident considering the man is a walking encyclopedia of sports and specifically sports history at my department - he has teached numerous classes and I perceive him as one of the most educated and in-tune academics I've came across during my 8 years in the Finnish academia. The other two thesis instructors - professors Soikkanen and Rentola - are both highly respected figures, one of who has authored the history of the national parliament and is a leading scholar on numerous historical subfields, and the other has previously worked with the Finnish secret police and since then authored books on espionage and work of the secret police in Finland AND has just been nominated to become professor of contemporary history in Helsinki. Both of these people are highly educated and in no conceivable way to be considered as Kremlin lackeys. The idea itself is preposterous.

This is my opinion and educated guess on the matter and any assaults on the objectivity of the staff mentioned here will surely encourage me to read the thesis in question after I've just handed in my own in a weeks and to be prepared to debate the matter. Might happen either way, but this would enforce. I much rather support my lecturers and a thesis one of my lecturers appears to support, so discussion about the thesis would surely be less .. vehement.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well, let me just say Ive waded through about half of it, heavy tome, interesting for sure. Im going to reserve further comment until Ive finished it & thought it over. Research, references, very well done. As for accusations of myopia & bias.... duly noted.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Well, that's a surprisingly well-put piece by Mr. Harder. I really enjoyed this take more than, say, Vaykhansky's book. It's particularly impressive that he got a lot of those ponts right. Although I expected him to give little bit more exposure to some of them. Like the fate of those people past their involment into the hockey program, which he briefly mentioned in (oh god) a footnote.

What I did not like, is that he often tends to jump to conclusions even when he seemingly realizes that he isn't well-versed enough in particular subjects. I couldn't help but cringe at the parts where he's comparing Soviet hockey to other sports in the Soviet Union and hockey in other countries, or his evaluation of Tarasov's role. The chapter where he's trying to explain Soviet bureaucratese gibberish and the idea of patriotism was somewhat eye-rolling too.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Chaibou! Histoire du Hockey Russe

Excellent book - first volume, offering insight into the Soviet Hockey program leading up to the 1972 Summit Series and slightly beyond.

"Chaibou! Histoire du Hockey Russe, Vol. 1 es origines à la série du siècle"

by Mathieu Boivin - Chouinard, 2011, ISBN 978-2-923615-17-2(v1)

Starting with a quote from Sovietsky Sport, January 17, 1948. Translated from Russian via the French translation.

"Our task is to create in hockey, a new sport for us, our Soviet avant-garde style, so that our hockey players become in a short time the world's best."

The author traces hockey history in Russia, later the USSR back to the late 19th century, thru the Russsian revolution into the post WWII era. He also tries to overview the Soviet perception of sport in general in the post revolutionary era. Early efforts and exhibition games pre 1951 are uncovered and described.

The 1951 formation of the Soviet National Olympic Committee and its practice of sending athletes or teams only to competitions where they had an excellent chance of winning becaomes one of the cornerstones of the hockey program.

The book features interesting tidbits to go along with solid information. The 1953 injury to the Soviet star - Vsevolod Bobrov seems to have delayed Soviet participation in international hockey until 1954. Also the the rivalry - philisophical differences between Tarasov and Bobrov are raised.

The author looks at the initial national team from a Sologubov overview, the second phase - post 1960 Olympics and the third phase late 1960s onward - an era which coincides with a boom in the building of indoor hockey arenas.

A few events seem to get a short treartment. 1957 Canada and the USA boycotted the WHC in Moscow, 1962 the Soviets and Czechs boycotted the WHC in the USA. Setting aside the political motivation behind each boycott, there was a hockey consequence. Post 1957 thru 1961 Canada and the USA had stronger international representation - Soviets did not win any international gold medals during this period.Likewise starting in 1963 the Soviets and the Czechoslovakians dominated the international hockey scene. Seems that the four boycotting countries used the time to review and build their international hockey programs. Yet this issue is not covered or explored in depth.

The third era contains some fascinating data. The arena building boom in the Soviet Union is linked to results plus we do get a glimpse at Soviet registration numbers for minor hockey.1967-69 period saw a growth from 454,000 to 664,000 youngsters followed by a boom to an estimated 1,000,000(Tarasov) to 3,000,0000 at the height of popularity,other sources starting in 1971 with the introduction of the youth hockey competition known as the Zolotaïa Chaïba((Golden Puck).

The competition relied on local initiatives, outdoor rinks with some guidance,minimum rink size, models, manuels, playdowns. Format was a Regional---> Republic --->Pansoviet competition, excluding players from from sporting academies.

The program did spread the popularity of hockey but whether it produced depth or long term results remains to be seen.

Looking at the 2010-2014 Russian numbers:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/282128/number-of-registered-ice-hockey-players-russia/

shows a significant drop even after allowing for the subtration of the numbers contributed by the various former Soviet Republics - Latvia, Ukraine, etc.

Follow-up posts in the days to come.

Last edited:

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Namely, the Kremlin's ideology and their moral reasoning is built around their own short-term interests and the wording in his thesis is strongly resemblant of that specific style of intellectually dishonest casuistry that is central to the rhetoric of other Russian politicians, diplomats and pseudo-academics.

Have to admit, I had to go and Google that word.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
other sources starting in 1971 with the introduction of the youth hockey competition known as the Zolotäia Chaïba((Golden Puck).

Looking forward to the follow-up posts. One remark: the Golden Puck youth hockey tournament was actually introduced in 1964-1965.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1958 Kelowna Packers

1958 Kelowna Packers were the first North American team to tour behind the Iron Curtain. 50th anniversary account follows:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/43102/Hall-welcomes-1958-Packers

Kelowna lost the first of five games then won two and tied two.

In his book the author mentions(page 88) that two of Kelowna's Ukrainian players had their passposts seized. This is an indicator of the complexity of early international hockey.

Link to a previous 1958 Kelowna Packers thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1407059&highlight=1958+kelowna+packers

Last edited:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Hello, new poster here.

Wanted to share this thesis that I found online:it looks at the soviet hockey system using contemporary soviet sources.

https://curve.carleton.ca/system/files/theses/27132.pdf

I did a quick search of this thread and the name Lloyd Percival doesn't appear once. So presumably no mention of his ( Percival's ) Hockey Handbook ' Tarasov's Bible ' either, much less Percival's earlier book on hockey.

Setting aside the politicization of Soviet Hockey...My guess is that this is ( at least in part ) just another rehash of the MYTH that Soviet Hockey and Soviet training methods were developed (in a vacuum , as it were ) almost exclusively by the Soviets themselves, specifically by Tarasov ( the reputed genius) when, in reality, those tactics and training methods came straight from the Master (Percival ) to the eager and gifted Student (Tarasov ).

Why am I not surprised by this ( apparent ) slight? Yet again...

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Percival

I did a quick search of this thread and the name Lloyd Percival doesn't appear once. So presumably no mention of his ( Percival's ) Hockey Handbook ' Tarasov's Bible ' either, much less Percival's earlier book on hockey.

Setting aside the politicization of Soviet Hockey...My guess is that this is ( at least in part ) just another rehash of the MYTH that Soviet Hockey and Soviet training methods were developed (in a vacuum , as it were ) almost exclusively by the Soviets themselves, specifically by Tarasov ( the reputed genius) when, in reality, those tactics and training methods came straight from the Master (Percival ) to the eager and gifted Student (Tarasov ).

Why am I not surprised by this ( apparent ) slight? Yet again!!!!

Percival is referenced by Boivin-Chouinard but in passing. The initial, post 1948 Soviet Ice hockey teams were composed from elite athletes in other sports - example Bobrov was an elite soccer player before becoming a hockey player. Was in fact part of the 1945 Soviet soccer team that toured post WWII England. During the tour the team was invited to view and exhibition hockey game involving Canada.

One of the aspects that is rather clear in Boivin's - Chouinard's book is that the Soviets stressed putting their own stamp on every aspect of their ice hockey program. Unlike other countries - Czechoslovakia which relied heavily on Mike Buckna, a Canadian who helped launch their hockey program in the thirties and forties, or Britain importing eligible Canadians to win the 1936 olympic Gold Medal, the post 1948 Soviet National Team stayed within their borders. They did invite the Czech team and other European teams for friendlies to gauge their approach and progress but developed their own methodology.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1956 Nikolai Puchkov

One of the interesting tidbits offered by Boivin - Chouinard is that after the 1956 Winter Olympics where the Soviets won the Gold Medal, including a 2-0 shutout of Canada in the deciding game, the AHL Cleveland Barons offered the Soviet goalie Nikolai Puchkov a contract Worth $20,000 for two seasons. The offer was not accepted.(page74)

1955-56 Cleveland was the only one of 6 AHL teams that had goaltending without any NHL experience, past or future. The other five teams had goalies, past or future NHLers, playing at least 90% of the games.

For the 1956-57 season the AHL Barons acquired Marcel Paille and won the AHL championship.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...the AHL Cleveland Barons offered the Soviet goalie Nikolai Puchkov a contract Worth $20,000 .... For the 1956-57 season the AHL Barons acquired Marcel Paille and won the AHL championship.

Very interesting tidbit. How they ever figured he'd be released during that period in history, no idea....
And ya, Paille followed by Bower then in the early 60's Les Binkley enjoying a long run & success in Cleveland.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Percival is referenced by Boivin-Chouinard but in passing. The initial, post 1948 Soviet Ice hockey teams were composed from elite athletes in other sports - example Bobrov was an elite soccer player before becoming a hockey player. Was in fact part of the 1945 Soviet soccer team that toured post WWII England. During the tour the team was invited to view and exhibition hockey game involving Canada.

One of the aspects that is rather clear in Boivin's - Chouinard's book is that the Soviets stressed putting their own stamp on every aspect of their ice hockey program. Unlike other countries - Czechoslovakia which relied heavily on Mike Buckna, a Canadian who helped launch their hockey program in the thirties and forties, or Britain importing eligible Canadians to win the 1936 olympic Gold Medal, the post 1948 Soviet National Team stayed within their borders. They did invite the Czech team and other European teams for friendlies to gauge their approach and progress but developed their own methodology.

Sorry, but ( the bolded part ) that's nonsense...again just a rehash of CCCP MYTH as I stated earlier. Strictly from memory, Tarasov had one of Percival's Books translated into Russian, and 500 copies made and distributed....What follows isn't conjecture, it's FACT...MOST of CCCP's ostensibly unique training methods and hockey tactics, which Canadian media marveled about in 72, were Percival's Hockey Handbook 101...

Also , if memory serves, Tarasov made a pt of visiting Percival when he was dying, and he wrote a glowing handwritten tribute to his guru, on the inside cover of Percival's book ( again Tarasov's Bible ) acknowledging the tremendous debt Tarasov, and by extension CCCP hockey, owed him...

Seems Antoli, like most public figures, had both a private and a public face...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, that the Canuck roots of CCCP hockey had to be glossed over/expunged for political reasons.Hells bells, this was the height of the Cold War...

As an aside, one of my relatives ( Harold Schooley ) was invited behind the iron curtain, by Tarasov, to serve as guest coach for CCCP, prior to them winning their first World Championship in the 50's...After that, Schooley was summarily shown the door, without so much as a thankyou/ acknowledgment. Schooley (another early Percival disciple ) was a prolific goal scorer playing overseas*; and that's how he ( Schooley ) first got noticed by Tarasov et al...

Again after CCCP won their first WC, that was when the Big Red ( Propaganda ) Machine took over...and the rest as they say, is ( revisionist/ heavily politicized & sanitized ) HISTORY :sarcasm::shakehead

--------

* if memory serves, Harold Schooley was initially in the Boston Bruin's organization, scoring 9 goals in 5 NHL exhibition games . But he liked to do things ( wingers crossing, circling back with the puck ) which were strictly verboten by NHL old guard,in those days, and when they tried to send him down to the minors to play for the notorious Eddie Shore, he bolted, first to the British Professional League ( which was really quite good in the years immediately following WW2 ) and later to mainland Europe, where he became a kind of freelance hockey player, often earning more than most NHLers of that era. Aside from his stint behind the Iron Curtain, Schooley also coached @OG and WHC's for team Italy and/or Austria ( circa 1956, 60 ) if I'm not mistaken, also serving as a WHA scout ( Calgary Cowboys?) , and in the off season (strangely enough ) a baseball scout for Philadelphia Phillies...

Last edited:
Reactions: Boxscore

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Hockey Handbook

Sorry, but that's nonsense...again just a rehash of CCCP MYTH as I stated earlier. Strictly from memory, Tarasov had one of Percival's Books translated into Russian, and 500 copies made and distributed....What follows isn't conjecture, it's FACT...MOST of CCCP's ostensibly unique training methods and hockey tactics, which Canadian media marveled about in 72, were Percival's Hockey Handbook 101...

Also , if memory serves, Tarasov made a pt of visiting Percival when he was dying, and he wrote a glowing handwritten tribute to his guru, on the inside cover of Percival's book ( again Tarasov's Bible ) acknowledging the tremendous debt Tarasov, and by extension CCCP hockey, owed him...

Seems Antoli, like most public figures, had both a private and a public face...It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, that the Canuck roots of CCCP hockey had to be glossed over/expunged for political reasons.Hells bells, this was the height of the Cold War...

As an aside, one of my relatives ( Harold Schooley ) was invited behind the iron curtain, by Tarasov, to serve as guest coach for CCCP, prior to them winning their first World Championship in the 50's...After that, Schooley was summarily shown the door, without so much as a thankyou/ acknowledgment. Schooley (another early Percival disciple ) was a prolific goal scorer playing overseas*; and that's how he ( Schooley ) first got noticed by Tarasov et al...

Again after CCCP won their first WC, that was when the Big Red ( Propaganda ) Machine took over...and the rest as they say, is ( revisionist/ heavily politicized & sanitized ) HISTORY :sarcasm::shakehead

--------

* if memory serves, Harold Schooley was initially in the Boston Bruin's organization, scoring 9 goals in 5 NHL exhibition games . But he liked to do things ( wingers crossing, circling back with the puck ) which were strictly verboten by NHL old guard,in those days, and when they tried to send him down to the minors to play for the notorious Eddie Shore, he bolted, first to the British Professional League ( which was really quite good in the years immediately following WW2 ) and later to mainland Europe, where he became a kind of freelance hockey player, often earning more than most NHLers of that era. Aside from his stint behind the Iron Curtain, Schooley also coached @OG and WHC's for team Italy and/or Austria ( circa 1956, 60 ) if I'm not mistaken, also serving as a WHA scout ( Calgary Cowboys?) , and in the off season (strangely enough ) a baseball scout for Philadelphia Phillies...

LLoyd Percival published the Hockey Handbook in 1951 yet the Soviet Hockey program started in 1948 so there is a bit of a chronological issue with the interpretation you propose.

Wingers crossing and circling back with the puck. Lloyd Perival was born in 1913:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Percival

His introduction to hockey was at the tailend of the no forward passing era. 1929-30season saw the introduction of the forward pass to NHL hockey. Basically Percival retained some concepts that were so old they were viewed as new.

As for circling back with the puck, Henri Richard, Bobby Orr and a few others did so regularly without fear of demotion or reprimand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad