TV: The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Just finished the series last week, and read thru all 33 pages of this lol

I remember watching the last scene while back not watching the show, and the ending still hit me as a "wtf" moment. Awesome show. I'll have to do another watch thru again, lots of characters, names, faces, sometimes confusing first watch thru. Looking forward to it!

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Somebody help me with a debate I'm having with myself (does that qualify as master debating?):

Is Tony a serial killer?

Now I'm no criminologist. Hell I was barely a varsity athlete. But I want to say No. I think a serial killer is more defined by motive rather than body count. So although T definitely clipped enough people to satisfy the killing criteria, he didn't kill just for the thrill of it - at least as far as we can tell.

So I say no, not a serial killer. Curious to hear what you guys think

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Somebody help me with a debate I'm having with myself (does that qualify as master debating?):

Is Tony a serial killer?

Now I'm no criminologist. Hell I was barely a varsity athlete. But I want to say No. I think a serial killer is more defined by motive rather than body count. So although T definitely clipped enough people to satisfy the killing criteria, he didn't kill just for the thrill of it - at least as far as we can tell.

No, I wouldn't consider him a serial killer

Nor would I consider an army sniper a serial killer

Reactions: Primary Assist

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Is Tony a serial killer?

No, I don't think he is either. Just a regular killer in my books. The mafia has had serial killers in their ranks before though with Roy Demeo and Charles Carneglia amongst others.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Is Tony a serial killer?

I’m not an expert on serial killers, but don’t they kill for a psychological thrill and feel compelled to get their fix?

I feel like Tony mostly killed because of business, but with Ralph and Chris one could argue that was some serial killer type shit.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I’m not an expert on serial killers, but don’t they kill for a psychological thrill and feel compelled to get their fix?

I feel like Tony mostly killed because of business, but with Ralph and Chris one could argue that was some serial killer type shit.
Agreed, I do think motive is among the main criteria for a serial killer. Well, that and the killing. Small detail.

One of the great themes explored by the show is what Tony would be like if he wasn't a mob boss. During his coma dream episodes as the WASPy Kevin Finnerty they did a great job showing his life as a somewhat unscrupulous but rather harmless civilian. And on that note I don't think Tony would be a killer if he wasn't in the mafia, but there are plenty of times in the show where you wonder if Tony maybe does find a little extra enjoyment at least in the power of being a killer

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If Gandolfini was still alive, what are the odds that it would have been confirmed Tony didn't die in the finale and we got some type of sequel to the Sopranos?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
If Gandolfini was still alive, what are the odds that it would have been confirmed Tony didn't die in the finale and we got some type of sequel to the Sopranos?
Pretty much zero. Regardless of the ending, he didn't really want to be there for the last couple of seasons. If anything it would be confirmed the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad