• Total voters

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Reactions: bellagiobob

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Just watch AA the entire time as he enters the frame at 12 seconds.

He looks just like this dog in the disappearing owner trick. "Where the f*** did he go?"

dog-magic.gif

You're either all in on the defensive structure the coaching staff is implementing, and have your head screwed on straight playing hard nosed hockey, or you don't play. The Oilers had a game 7 where everyone played defense and were on the right side of the puck and played with structured determination for the full 60 minutes and they won.

Whenever someone on the Oilers isn't pulling their weight defensively, even if they're skating around real fast and getting looks on net, like Athanasiou, you will never win against a club fully committed to playing physical team defense and that starts with ensuring they are always on the right side of the puck. When you hear the coaching staff say "play for your teammates" this is what they are referring to.

It should be well known who the players are on the Edmonton Oilers who tend to deviate from strict fundamental 3 zone hockey. Breakdowns usually start from the same handful of guys, and if it happens early in a game, and it only needs to happen once, you will not win. One guy deviates from their assigned positioning on the ice and then everyone's coverage is in jeopardy. Pull in the same direction and be accountable to your teammates, that's how you play winning hockey in the postseason.

When you do criticise these players on the Oilers for faulty positioning or missguided plays on a public forum, like hfboards, the fanboys will come after you. They'll come after you with froth and indignation. They won't refrain from their ad hominem disparagement. Say "no fanboy, not tonight, I'm standing up for the Edmonton Oilers."
facts-meme.gif

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lol that anyone on this board bothers to engage with deadgrant anymore. What a waste of time.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Danault was being pretty friendly and talkative with a bunch of our guys. Dudes a class act

Fantastic. After a real rough week yesterday with the win on top of other things was one of the best days of my life.

I said some not so nice things about Danault during the series, but I noticed this as well. Seems like a good dude.

One of the reasons I want to face Dallas would be the battle of the singing crowds.

They get to play in the Saddledump Library instead, which is a shame

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Haha, the crowds sing that part of the song exactly like that at his concerts.

Depending on how far we go, I wonder if "Living on a Prayer" becomes our "Gloria"...not a "victory song" per se, because that honor already belongs to La Bamba, but a song that the fans latch onto for intense moments...kind of like the Steelers with "Renegade".

Reactions: Faelko

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Depending on how far we go, I wonder if "Living on a Prayer" becomes our "Gloria"...not a "victory song" per se, because that honor already belongs to La Bamba, but a song that the fans latch onto for intense moments...kind of like the Steelers with "Renegade".
Something more unique is a better option. 'Living on a Prayer' is sung by fans in almost every other arena in every North American sport.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I forgot to mention. Not really a McLellan fan. I think he was a pretty average coach when he was here. Maybe I was too hard on him, maybe not. But have to give him some respect in the handshake line. The players obviously had some respect for him. Good to see.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It's a hectic time for me here in Finland so I only saw the highlights, but I have to say I was amazed by how much better the Oilers were. Smith naturally did a good job, but the whole team deserves credit as they didn't seem to give many chances at all. I've bet some money for the Oilers to win the SC and a bit for them to be in the finals and right now I wouldn't draw the money back as I think they have a real chance if they can keep defending well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You're either all in on the defensive structure the coaching staff is implementing, and have your head screwed on straight playing hard nosed hockey, or you don't play. The Oilers had a game 7 where everyone played defense and were on the right side of the puck and played with structured determination for the full 60 minutes and they won.

Whenever someone on the Oilers isn't pulling their weight defensively, even if they're skating around real fast and getting looks on net, like Athanasiou, you will never win against a club fully committed to playing physical team defense and that starts with ensuring they are always on the right side of the puck. When you hear the coaching staff say "play for your teammates" this is what they are referring to.

It should be well known who the players are on the Edmonton Oilers who tend to deviate from strict fundamental 3 zone hockey. Breakdowns usually start from the same handful of guys, and if it happens early in a game, and it only needs to happen once, you will not win. One guy deviates from their assigned positioning on the ice and then everyone's coverage is in jeopardy. Pull in the same direction and be accountable to your teammates, that's how you play winning hockey in the postseason.

When you do criticise these players on the Oilers for faulty positioning or missguided plays on a public forum, like hfboards, the fanboys will come after you. They'll come after you with froth and indignation. They won't refrain from their ad hominem disparagement. Say "no fanboy, not tonight, I'm standing up for the Edmonton Oilers."
facts-meme.gif
Lots of our players have well known flaws, both in their physical ability and stature, and in ther ability to think the game, as well as consistency. Some we will have to eventually move on from when better opportunities present themselves, others will hopefully get better, and still others we'll be stuck with longer than we want to.
When they all play like they did in game 6 and 7, we have a pretty good chance to best some really good teams. I'm okay with that these days.

I forgot to mention. Not really a McLellan fan. I think he was a pretty average coach when he was here. Maybe I was too hard on him, maybe not. But have to give him some respect in the handshake line. The players obviously had some respect for him. Good to see.
He has one of the most respected handshakes in the league. Right up there with Sheldon Keefe.:D

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Lots of our players have well known flaws, both in their physical ability and stature, and in ther ability to think the game, as well as consistency. Some we will have to eventually move on from when better opportunities present themselves, others will hopefully get better, and still others we'll be stuck with longer than we want to.
When they all play like they did in game 6 and 7, we have a pretty good chance to best some really good teams. I'm okay with that these days.

He has one of the most respected handshakes in the league. Right up there with Sheldon Keefe.:D
In the "Cult of Hockey" grades today, Staples says that Smith "wasn't much at fault on any goal against him" ---(note the exceptional grammar).

I'm not trying to pick on Smith because I know he's already taken a beating in this space but how can this possibly be said? Where do these writers earn their credentials?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
In the "Cult of Hockey" grades today, Staples says that Smith "wasn't much at fault on any goal against him" ---(note the exceptional grammar).

I'm not trying to pick on Smith because I know he's already taken a beating in this space but how can this possibly be said? Where do these writers earn their credentials?

Certain players are given cover in the forum and in the media.

Both Smith and Koskinen are super unreliable but for some reason it's only appropriate to call out Mikko.

Sadly I see another shooting gallery as I know Sutter is not happy with flames performance last night. Then we'll hear the standard "well Tyson Barrie didn't clear the puck so you can't blame Mike Smith for that goal" nonsense.

Most important series in +15 years and we got a 40 year old who's unreliable and a full blown sieve.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Certain players are given cover in the forum and in the media.

Both Smith and Koskinen are super unreliable but for some reason it's only appropriate to call out Mikko.

Sadly I see another shooting gallery as I know Sutter is not happy with flames performance last night. Then we'll hear the standard "well Tyson Barrie didn't clear the puck so you can't blame Mike Smith for that goal" nonsense.

Most important series in +15 years and we got a 40 year old who's unreliable and a full blown sieve.
Did Markstrom play well last night? Other than the goals that were scored on him, he could have had a nice sleep.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Did Markstrom play well last night?
He clearly did not play well last night. Why? We missed a chance to get Markstrom on an off night. Lets keep in mind this is the second straight time we have been lit up for 9 goals. Maybe the pressure of wanting to beat Flames is too much for Smith given his bad starts against them.

Id feel a hell of a lot more comfortable having him as my starter over Smith or Koskinen. So would the flames since they clearly evaluated Smith wasnt the guy to take them to the promise land.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

You'd have to ask that question to Staples, not sure were you're going with this. It wasn't a good game for ANY of the goalies who played last night.

He clearly did not play well last night. Why? We missed a chance to get Markstrom on an off night. Lets keep in mind this is the second straight time we have been lit up for 9 goals. Maybe the pressure of wanting to beat Flames is too much for Smith given his bad starts against them.

Id feel a hell of a lot more comfortable having him as my starter over Smith or Koskinen. So would the flames since they clearly evaluated Smith wasnt the guy to take them to the promise land.
Only difference between Markstrom and Smith's play last night is that Markstrom's team completely dominated us. 48 shots on goal, and tons of chances 10 feet in front of the net. Need to dumb it down for the dummy again, I guess. And no one ever said Smith is a better goalie than Markstrom. What is your point?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

In Edmontons defense they deemed that too, Markstrom chose Calgary over Edmonton, they got bested in the Kuemper sweepstakes, among other goalies. Smith was good in round 1 though and was far from the issue last night. Funny I hear nobody talking about Leon? He was the direct cause of the 7th and 8th goals, let Anderson walk right into net front then made the awful pass into a skate to allow Tkachuk on a breakaway. Different story today likely without those plays

Reactions: redgrant

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
You'd have to ask that question to Staples, not sure why you're asking me about David Staples opinion. It wasn't a good game for ANY of the goalies who played last night.

So...what youre trying to say is that Smith had a shitty game? Yeah I agree.

The difference with Markstrom is he sucked for 50 minutes was in lockdown mode in the last 10 minutes. Sutter never considered even making a change. He knew the Flames would eventually out score enough on us. Our goalies would just let us down and Markstrom would come through.

Its now 2 in a row for game ones Oiler goalies have put us on the back foot.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
In Edmontons defense they deemed that too, Markstrom chose Calgary over Edmonton, they got bested in the Kuemper sweepstakes, among other goalies. Smith was good in round 1 though and was far from the issue last night. Funny I hear nobody talking about Leon? He was the direct cause of the 7th and 8th goals, let Anderson walk right into net front then made the awful pass into a skate to allow Tkachuk on a breakaway. Different story today likely without those plays

I think the difference is with Leon everyone and their mother knows hes playing on one leg. I heard someone with the analogy of watching him turn is like watching a cruise ship turn.

Agree Holland certainly realized our goaltending is not good enough for the playoffs. At the end of the day hes the highest paid GM in the league. He needs to engineer a solution rather than just rolling with Smith and Koskinen each year. Its deflating for the boys when they know in their heart it wont be 6 - 6 for long.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
You'd have to ask that question to Staples, not sure were you're going with this. It wasn't a good game for ANY of the goalies who played last night.

Only difference between Markstrom and Smith's play last night is that Markstrom's team completely dominated us. 48 shots on goal, and tons of chances 10 feet in front of the net. Need to dumb it down for the dummy again, I guess. And no one ever said Smith is a better goalie than Markstrom. What is your point?

Calm down. Sometimes I feel like im arguing with Smith's wife. They didnt have 48 shots in the first 5 minutes. If anything you'll feel reassured Im equally unhappy with Koskinen.

Smith needs to make some saves and start the games on time. Just using the excuse "we got domintaed first 3 minutes!!!! thats why were down". Pathetic the extent smith boosters will go to defend him.

He needs to get his emotions in check. I get it must be frustrating to essentially get fired and play your old team but if youre going to let in a few beach balls off the start the whole "we were dominated 3 minutes in" shows the flawed logic.

Lowetide had a great comment this morning "instead of hockey it should be called goalie - Dallas and Edmonton both proved that you can win a game or lose a game with your goalie".

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

No it wasn't a good night for any of the 3 but Staples says that Smith was not at fault for any of the 3 goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad