Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Were you a big Wright fan?

I was in favour of selecting Wright because I wanted the center ice position locked up. Wouldn't say I was a big fan as I wasn't very enthusiastic about the draft class as a whole.

I was concerned about Slaf's production in Liiga. I didn't think there was enough available data on him to warrant selecting him 1st overall. I seen it as a pretty big risk. At least with Wright I was relatively confident we would get a good 2C out of him.

Once the Habs traded for Dach I was a whole lot more receptive of the pick, and have been on the Slaf bandwagon since.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Slafkovsky has an infectious aura. He seems to understand the importance of honing his craft as well.

Perfect attitude for this market.
If you read the article, that quote from Gallagher was about Suzuki on the day he was made captain.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Yeah or players who are meant to be good because of the combination of intangibles, athleticism and natural skill, will be good and the development of the organization plays a small part. So constantly talking as if you understand how a prospect should be developed, when in fact you have no clue is just wasting space on this board. There are examples of all of the above. Prospects who dominate from day 1, prospects who take 5 years to develop into good players then another 3 seasons to become a dominant player, propsects who are cast off by organizations who win Hart trophys on other teams. Every team has busts and steals.

To say the Habs were playing catch-up is with their prospects no matter what is clueless.
you must’ve missed the entirety of the Bergevin era

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
The highlight for me about his milestones today is how the team reacted when he scored that goal. They all knew, they all wanted him to get it. And to see the joy on his face. Just pure excitement.

It was obvious they were looking for him on the ice too. He was so well positioned in the crease all game as well.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Last week, I wrote that Slafkovsky had managed to compress three seasons of development into one and a half.

Final update:

From October 2022 to November 13 2023
12 points in 54 games = pace of 18 points per 82 games

From November 14 2023 to January 15 2024
13 points in 27 games = pace of 40 points per 82 games

From January 16 2024 to March 8 2024
16 points in 21 games = pace of 62 points per 82 games

From March 9 2024 to April 16 2024
19 points in 19 games = pace of 82 points per 82 games

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
That's not true, I'm still here.

Me too but Slafs proved me wrong. To be honest I noticed an improvement right at the start of this season. Sure, no real results but I liked some of the stuff I was seeing in his play.

What I hadn't found out about the kid was his dedication to the game and his will to improve. Some of the same qualities I see in Hutson. I'm pretty certain the Lane we see now won't be the same we'll see in 2-3yrs.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Me too but Slafs proved me wrong. To be honest I noticed an improvement right at the start of this season. Sure, no real results but I liked some of the stuff I was seeing in his play.

What I hadn't found out about the kid was his dedication to the game and his will to improve. Some of the same qualities I see in Hutson. I'm pretty certain the Lane we see now won't be the same we'll see in 2-3yrs.

Right.

Tbf I was mad at Management not the player, because he looked really lost at beginning of year, he genuinely did not look NHL ready, it looked like we were doubling down and did not want to admit this player was not ready, which is why his transition from that to now is insane.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Right.

Tbf I was mad at Management not the player, because he looked really lost at beginning of year, he genuinely did not look NHL ready, it looked like we were doubling down and did not want to admit this player was not ready, which is why his transition from that to now is insane.
He absolutely looked NHL calibre in October-November, but Anderson was on his line and could not buy a goal, nor could he make plays at Slaf's level.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's just so f***ing stupid and ignorant to obsess over the growing pains of an 18 year old kid who everyone knew was raw but had amazing upside. Like REALLY f***ing stupid and ignorant!
Also known as The Main Board Cesspool...............................what a joke people are on the main board.
Pure hatred for the kid, and the habs.............disgusting posters, who are now, all in hiding.

Idiots..................

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's just so f***ing stupid and ignorant to obsess over the growing pains of an 18 year old kid who everyone knew was raw but had amazing upside. Like REALLY f***ing stupid and ignorant!
I think it's unfortunate that people can be so impatient and spew a lot of negativity around. I mean it's one thing to say you don't like how a kid looks and leave it at that, and another to post 5 times a day , every day how a kid sucks.

Sometimes a kid develops like Slaf, and another time like KK. Way it goes.

However, no problem with people watching Slafs development game by game. I mean the Habs are a lottery team and for the 3rd year in a row not remotely challenging for a playoff spot. All we have is our young guys to follow so that's what people do. Would just be nice without all the premature negative energy.

I mean this just in general , as Slaf has made comments that show he was hearing the negativity about him. That can have real world affect and a young kid shouldn't be exposed to a lot of that kind of stuff if it's gotten carried away

Reactions: 417

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Considering the start to the season, it's remarkable that he finished with 20 G and 50 P.

The sky is limit and at this point, I'm not sure I could define his ceiling.

I think 30 G and 65 P is a realistic goal for next season.

Can't wait to see the player he becomes by 23-24 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad