Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No. I would agree if he was 24 years old and this was out of nowhere.

Maybe he won't have 11 points in the next 10 games but the cold spell thing is absurd.

He is what he is now, he is still at the beginning of his maximum growth windowd and will continue to uptrend for a while.
There's nothing absurd about pointing out the obvious: Players go through hot and cold spells. Slafkovsky's talent exploding is part of his development curve. Another part of his development will be pushing through adversity.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A lot of the arguments were concern about not seeing any flashes of the player he was suppose to be his rookie year and parts of this season. We now have a pretty nice stretch over the last few months of him not only showing flashes, but showcasing just how dominant he could potentially be. If he goes threw a cold stretch at this point, we at least know that player is in him as opposed to before.
Totally agree. I'm pinching myself as I watch the kid get stronger every game. Still, it's a long season with plenty of games where passes won't be converted and shots will miss. That will be the final phase of Luke Slafwalker's Jedi training – how to shrug off a bad few games and keep working.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Totally agree. I'm pinching myself as I watch the kid get stronger every game. Still, it's a long season with plenty of games where passes won't be converted and shots will miss. That will be the final phase of Luke Slafwalker's Jedi training – how to shrug off a bad few games and keep working.
We need to really work on getting more players in our top 6. If Suzuki-Slafkovsky dries up, we need more options to mix up the lines. I think that’s played big part of Caufield struggling at times this year. Need to have chemistry with more then one player unless Slafkovsky really is that elite talent that can carry anyone that’s put beside him.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We need to really work on getting more players in our top 6. If Suzuki-Slafkovsky dries up, we need more options to mix up the lines. I think that’s played big part of Caufield struggling at times this year. Need to have chemistry with more then one player unless Slafkovsky really is that elite talent that can carry anyone that’s put beside him.
Adding a strong and healthy Kirby Dach will be huge. They're probably hoping Newhook can step up somewhere on the 2nd line. I don't see anyone else right now; hopefully we draft a talented kid this Summer and make another 4D chess trade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's nothing absurd about pointing out the obvious: Players go through hot and cold spells. Slafkovsky's talent exploding is part of his development curve. Another part of his development will be pushing through adversity.
Yep. And we’ve played pretty weak teams lately. There will definitely be setbacks. But he’s taken a giant leap forward and we can all be happy about that.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
As long as I post here I'm going to keep the Ivan Drago comparisons coming because that's who Slaf reminds me of. Just an absolute unit. His voice even sounds similar to Dolph Lundgren's.

We got a little lucky with this to be honest, but that's okay because with development, it never usually goes our way. If Dach, Newhook, or even guys like Pearson don't get hurt for an extended period this season, we probably don't see Slaf up on the top line for as long as he's been. I think even being there and realizing he belongs there has done wonders for his confidence.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen without injuries, but I don't know if it happens as fast as it has.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Adding a strong and healthy Kirby Dach will be huge. They're probably hoping Newhook can step up somewhere on the 2nd line. I don't see anyone else right now; hopefully we draft a talented kid this Summer and make another 4D chess trade.
Dach is a big question mark. If he works out, we’re well on our way out of this rebuild if we can get a few kids on the blueline to start showing out.

Reactions: Lshap

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know if you mean me here but I don't recall saying much in the Slaf thread or even being here that often but my memory isn't the greatest.
Not at all lol I was also half-joking, it's not that serious, it never was.

We all come here to exchange different thoughts and opinions and debates are healthy.

It's some of the nasty interactions that have created the chip on this shoulder, I've never had one of those type of interactions with you.

We all good @OldCraig71

All and all, i'm just thrilled we're starting to see Slafkovsky come out of his shell and realize how dominant player he can become. So much more to learn and grow from.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
0e18c5fb-12cb-41e1-b9b3-47dc865845ad_640x360.jpg

My boy on the half wall last night :devdance::devdance::devdance::devdance:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He did it once already this year, overcome snake-bitten games. Of course he could do it again the next time it happens. Hell, last night was not even a perfect stars aligning night. He could have had five or six points last night if Caufield was a bit luckier.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The points are the result of the work he's put in since last year, it's the output...which is great.

I'm MUCH more impressed by the input.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
More impressive than the points is his 200 foot game. Everything seems to have clicked for him in all three zones.

He's a menace on the PP. That cross-seam pass is lethal. Don't give him any space because he will find it.
Even when he was struggling you could see the passing ability. Again, his skill would show itself in flashes.

The fact that he’s put it all together so quickly is incredible. I mean, I was hopeful that he’d be a big 70 point guy but now I think he’ll be - a 60 point guy next year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The points are the result of the work he's put in since last year, it's the output...which is great.

Yeah. Reality is he was snakebit for a while even with strong play. Now the points are coming in bunches.

Reactions: 417

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

What impresses me is that there are so many players that put in the time to get better. But for Slafkovsky, he has a talent where he can take all these lessons and actually upgrade his skillset.

Needs to work on his shot? Done. Needs to work on defensive play? Done. Need to play with more poise? Done.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What impresses me is that there are so many players that put in the time to get better. But for Slafkovsky, he has a talent where he can take all these lessons and actually upgrade his skillset.

Needs to work on his shot? Done. Needs to work on defensive play? Done. Need to play with more poise? Done.
Not to re-ignite the debate because, IMO, it no longer exists.

But is it fair to wonder if he would have applied himself the same way he has in the NHL, had he gone to the AHL and had more success in a weaker league where he could get away with doing the things that he just couldn't do in the NHL?

Reactions: CDN24

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Dude is so good he gets a new thread.

Here’s the old one for nostalgic purposes.

You're such a thread hog! ;)

Man, this has been a fun scenario to track, the worst 1st overall of all time starting to look like a guy you would take 1st overall in multiple years. Yes, the sample size is small, but it's one of the most promising samples from a Habs player we have seen in quite some time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Dude plugs himself into The Matrix and downloads Kung-fu in a day.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Lol... well put. Slafworksky is showing how far talent can go with the right attitude, just like we've seen countless examples of talent evaporating without it.

By the way, however far the kid goes in his career, he already has a generational name. How many ways have we adapted "Slafkovsky"?

"Studkovsky", "Passkovsky", "Slafgoalsky", "SlafGOATsky", "Luke Slafwalker", etc. – best name ever!

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
More impressive than the points is his 200 foot game. Everything seems to have clicked for him in all three zones.

He's a menace on the PP. That cross-seam pass is lethal. Don't give him any space because he will find it.

Some thought he was losing his time in the NHL.

Even when the coaches and the GM publicly said they had objectives and goals for him unrelated to production, that they wanted him to play the right way and teach him the good reflexes at first.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lol... well put. Slafworksky is showing how far talent can go with the right attitude, just like we've seen countless examples of talent evaporating without it.

By the way, however far the kid goes in his career, he already has a generational name. How many ways have we adapted "Slafkovsky"?

"Studkovsky", "Passkovsky", "Slafgoalsky", "SlafGOATsky", "Luke Slafwalker", etc. – best name ever!
Don’t forget Bustkovsky…

• Haha
Reactions: Geecko and Lshap

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Man, if only folks like Galchenyuk and Kostitsyn had Slafkovsky's drive and attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad