Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Where's ReHabs at?

He got a jersey yet?
We had disagreements about how best to develop Slaf, but that was not the most maddening aspect of exchanging with that guy. Nor was it his constant harping about low point totals (17 points in his first 68 games).

The most maddening was his insistence that Slaf has zero IQ, and can't make plays.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Its great for once the organisation pulled its head out of its arse and allowed a young prospect to play top minutes in the first line and PP,

Its great he's able to make it work while still being raw and young. Its also great that him and Suzuki are producing together.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Flames fan from Slovakia here. Maybe a bit premature but Slaf-Suzuki duo has flashes of that great chemistry between Sakic and Forsberg.

Both had power moves in them- especially Peter- accurate passing and boy could they both score some beauties.

So this is my comparable early early on.

Go on Slaf, you rock, the whole country is behind you and you silenced those doubters for e-v-e-r like a BOSS.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Safe to say he not only grabbed the bulls by the horns but also turned them into minced meat! :sarcasm:
That’s right, several bulls. :laugh:

Could Bobrov’s prophesy be materializing before our very eyes and those of hockey historians? I believed in the player but didn’t anticipate this kind of breakout so early (small sample size and all).

salwan

Nov 4, 2023
What a time to be alive.

It seems like only a month ago I was doing the following thought exercises over and over in my head:

"I wouldn't bet on him becoming a PPG player, but if he can hit 35pts+ this season and keep the pace of production over the following season and hit 50 pts, he can definitely become a perennial 65pts+ two-way monster"

now watch that boy fly

Reactions: Pomee and HomaridII

salwan

Nov 4, 2023
Dismantle what's working. Put him at C.
nGPJHWK.png
looking at his rate of improvement, it's not late yet to turn him into a bonafide #1D

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
That’s right, several bulls. :laugh:

Could Bobrov’s prophesy be materializing before our very eyes and those of hockey historians? I believed in the player but didn’t anticipate this kind of breakout so early (small sample size and all).
Me neither, I sincerely hope he's the real deal.

After all the crap we've been through as a fanbase, we deserve to finally be able to sit back and watch one of our high picks (other than Price) pan out and become a key contributor.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Reality Check Time:

At some point the kid will hit a cold spell. I mean... he can't keep up this pace (can he?). I hope we don't go full melodrama when he goes a few games without a point; most important, I hope Slaf doesn't get frustrated with himself when it happens.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He is not even looking like a "weak 1st ov".

He is looking like a legit ppg franchise unicorn power winger.

We are out of the Price era and entering the Slaf era now

Reality Check Time:

At some point the kid will hit a cold spell. I mean... he can't keep up this pace (can he?). I hope we don't go full melodrama when he goes a few games without a point; most important, I hope Slaf doesn't get frustrated with himself when it happens.

No. I would agree if he was 24 years old and this was out of nowhere.

Maybe he won't have 11 points in the next 10 games but the cold spell thing is absurd.

He is what he is now, he is still at the beginning of his maximum growth windowd and will continue to uptrend for a while.

Reactions: Pomee and HomaridII

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We were told.......weak draft year.
We were told he was drafted with the intent of being the best player taken to grow into the role of a good NHLer.......not necessarily the best player at that time of the draft.
We were told........be patient with the kid.....

Here we are...guys like Rehabs have deleted their account.
Will there be bumps in the road, of course, the kid is 19
He is the best in his draft class already........wasn't supposed to be for 3-4 years.
I think we can relax a bit now on this pick, and watch HuGo do their thing moving forward.

Our management are light years, ahead of the previous Ship of Fools.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Reality Check Time:

A lot of the arguments were concern about not seeing any flashes of the player he was suppose to be his rookie year and parts of this season. We now have a pretty nice stretch over the last few months of him not only showing flashes, but showcasing just how dominant he could potentially be. If he goes threw a cold stretch at this point, we at least know that player is in him as opposed to before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad