OT: The signification of your username?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When I picked my username, I imagined that I would become a frequent poster after lurking for a while. 15 years later and I should probably just shorten my name to Lurker.

If you do it now, we'll have this thread to commemorate it.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Man I love that song. In 1988 CHOM-FM released a double CD to commemorate their 25th anniversary, and Spanish Town was one of the songs on the CD. I shared an apartment on the corner of de Mainsonneuve and Fort in 89/90 with a friend and we started playing the song on repeat. We played it 24 hours a day for 7 days straight, whether we were home or not, awake or sleeping. The walls were thick and no neighbours could hear it. I remember coming home each day and walking up the stairs, wondering what part of the song would be playing. Cracking open a beer and sitting back with my eyes closed, and letting the song take me away again. After a while I started having dreams about chili dogs, gringos, and sombreros, while the song still played on! I've got the song on a Spotify playlist now which I listen to on shuffle. I always smile when I'm treated to Spanish Town.

When I picked my username, I imagined that I would become a frequent poster after lurking for a while. 15 years later and I should probably just shorten my name to Lurker.
Cool.

I was doing alot of travelling between Montréal and Ottawa, usually late at night and could pick up CHOM right to the Ottawa city limits and the song was on often.

Maybe I was influenced too by another CHOM favorite, The Mexican by Babe Ruth.

Reactions: ArtPeur

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Cool.

I was doing alot of travelling between Montréal and Ottawa, usually late at night and could pick up CHOM right to the Ottawa city limits and the song was on often.

Another great song which I had completely forgotten about! Haven't heard it in years, gonna give it a listen tonight.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Nickname from the good old IRC days. Had a different one but one day after an argument I was told I need to be less edgy, I liked the sound of that, so I went with it.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The easy answer is that the little woman got a transfer and she's originally from there so it's like going home for her. But it's more than that. Vancouver is becoming more unlivable and unaffordable every day. I've been here over 25 years (it'll be 26 years on September 13th, actually) and I'm not much farther ahead today than I was then. The cost of living is rising faster than my ability to keep making more money. It's a high price to pay to have mild winters and nice scenery. Housing costs, gas prices and taxes, to name just three items, are all significantly lower in Alberta than in BC (actually, Alberta has no provincial sales tax at all) Edmonton, as much as I hate the Oilers and Eskimos and rednecks in general, is considered to be somewhat left-leaning compared to the rest of the province, due to it being the capital city and host to a large contingent of federal civil servants. In fact, the current NDP Premier, Rachel Notley is not only the first-ever NDP leader to ever become Premier of Alberta; she's also the first Premier who was actually born in Edmonton. Her home riding is in a district dominated by students from the U of A.

I'm also told that it's a "dry cold", whatever that means. I'm pretty sure that -40C isn't a dry or a humid cold. It's simply a cold cold.

I lived through the Canucks' Cup near-misses of 1994 and 2011 and I used to live in Toronto many years ago so I know what it's like to deal with delusional fans. Oilers fan won't pose any challenges for me and I'll probably be able to get Habs tickets for cheaper than they cost in Vancouver, so there's that.

You won’t with regards to Habs tickets. There’s always more Habs than Oilers fans here for that one. Most season ticket holders sell their ticket and cover a lot of their cost of the year on that one. Beautiful new arena though, and welcome, Edmonton is a decent spot.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You won’t with regards to Habs tickets. There’s always more Habs than Oilers fans here for that one. Most season ticket holders sell their ticket and cover a lot of their cost of the year on that one. Beautiful new arena though, and welcome, Edmonton is a decent spot.
Same deal in Vancouver, especially if the game happens to fall on a weekend. Then all the ex-pat Habs fans in the Interior and on Vancouver Island make the trip into town. Honestly I'm not that bothered to go to see the Habs this coming season at any price and they're coming on Nov. 13th which is only a couple of weeks before the Grey Cup, which I'd sooner spend my money on because it will likely be more entertaining than anything the Habs are likely to do.

Looks like I'll be residing in Oliver to start. It's sufficiently urban enough to ease my transition to the frozen tundra of Northern Alberta and is close to all major amenities. I'm not ready to move to an acreage just yet.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Cool.

And here they are, performing that very song live in Montreal back in 1975 (at the Jardin des Etoiles at Man and His World)

Reactions: Runner77

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
And here they are, performing that very song live in Montreal back in 1975 (at the Jardin des Etoiles at Man and His World)

I was gonna post the very same vid. I was there.
Great stuff.

Notice that they got back together and played in Montréal at one of the festivals in the last 10 years, wish I had been there.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
self explanatory i would think

had to add a number cause habsgirl was taken.....chose 5000 cause thats how many years we will be without a cup :sarcasm:

Lol j/k....chose 5000 for no specific reason....was easy for me to remember i guess :eek:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
self explanatory i would think

had to add a number cause habsgirl was taken.....chose 5000 cause thats how many years we will be without a cup :sarcasm:

Lol j/k....chose 5000 for no specific reason....was easy for me to remember i guess :eek:

I got my first real email around the year 2000, so everyone had xyz2000@hotmail etc etc. I realized how dumb that would look, being a forward thinking 10 year old, once the new millennium craze passed. So what did I do? I used 3000 in my email instead.

f4ff8b0d242f954810eb3b609c747f31.jpg

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I got my first real email around the year 2000, so everyone had xyz2000@hotmail etc etc. I realized how dumb that would look, being a forward thinking 10 year old, once the new millennium craze passed. So what did I do? I used 3000 in my email instead.

f4ff8b0d242f954810eb3b609c747f31.jpg

I got my hotmail so early, that I only needed an underscore between the two names I wanted. No numbers!

I've had that email for about 23/24 years.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Cool idea for a thread. I went with mine because I’m a former hockey player who is now a golfer, and I can hit a ball a country mile ;)

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It's so much fun to compare what I imagined was the origin of most of you guys usernames and what it is the reality.

mine is one of my IRL nicknames. Antoine became Antoène heavily pronounced à la Québécoise lol and then just Toène (twən in phonetic alphabet).

Online, english speaking people, so 99% of the NA servers, pronounce it like Toe-ny or Tony it cracks me up every time idk why. Cant put an accent on the E in your username in xbox live psn etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad