OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I've been going through the music on my computer to try to get some stuff I don't normally listen to onto my iPod and I came across the band Red Tide.

They come off as a pretty standard mid 90's metal/hardcore band at first blush. But then you get about 1:10 into the song and things start getting interesting. It's funny to hear jazzy, prog metal influenced stuff going on with standard 90's hardcore cliche lyrics over top of it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've been going through the music on my computer to try to get some stuff I don't normally listen to onto my iPod and I came across the band Red Tide.

They come off as a pretty standard mid 90's metal/hardcore band at first blush. But then you get about 1:10 into the song and things start getting interesting. It's funny to hear jazzy, prog metal influenced stuff going on with standard 90's hardcore cliche lyrics over top of it.

the kind of singing in that song is the easiest way to ruin a song for me. There are absolutely no lyrics or music that will make that song sound good to me as long as the singer sounds like Christian Bale's batman voice struggling to take a ****.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Top-5 Bands/Artists:

- Pantera
- Phil Anselmo (whether it's him singing with Pantera or Down or any of the oodles of side projects he's had over the years.)
- Eyehategod
- Lamb Of God
- Cannibal Corpse (the Chris Barnes era)

Top 5 Albums:

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Eyehategoid - Take As Needed For Pain
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
Cannibal Corpse- Tomb Of The Mutilated

First album you just thought about:

Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro pro Eternus

5 CD's on the player right now:

Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals - Walk Through Exits Only
Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro pro Eternus
Necrophagia - Holocausto de la Morte
Necrophagia - Black Blood Vomitorium
Crowbar - Crowbar

Last 5 Albums You Bought/Downloaded:
Necrophagia - Holocausto de la Morte
Necrophagia - Black Blood Vomitorium
Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals - Walk Through Exits Only
Aeon - Aeons Black
Phil Anselmo/Warbest - War of the Gargantuas

Artist you'd most like to meet/drink with:
Dimebag Darrell or Phil Anselmo

Band that you'd love to see in concert but it can never happen:
Pantera

Favorite styles:
- Death metal
- Sludge metal
- Black metal
- 80's hardcore punk

Styles you don't listen to:

- Country
- Rap
- Hip-hop
- Dubstep

Desert Island Album:
Eyehategod - Dopesick

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
highly recommend the new Nine Inch Nails album. it's a bit more minimal and even poppy compared to Reznor's typical work, but it feels really fresh, catchy and exciting. My favorite NIN release since The Downward Spiral.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So I'm not a raver or would even come off as a guy who likes this stuff, but I downloaded a ton of sets from Electric Zoo 2013 and they are tremendous. Flux Pavilion, Benny Benassi, Alesso, ShowTek. They all ****ing killed it. Just tremendous stuff.

Anyone into this kind of music?

And I also really dig country music. So yeah. :laugh:

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
So I'm not a raver or would even come off as a guy who likes this stuff, but I downloaded a ton of sets from Electric Zoo 2013 and they are tremendous. Flux Pavilion, Benny Benassi, Alesso, ShowTek. They all ****ing killed it. Just tremendous stuff.

Anyone into this kind of music?

And I also really dig country music. So yeah. :laugh:

I like that kind of music. Skrillex, Avicii, Bad Boy Bill, Bassnectar, Calvin Harris, Camo And Krooked, Chase & Status, Dada Life, Kaskade, MartyParty, Mstrkrft, Nero, Porter Robinson, Rusko, The Glitch Mob, The Prodigy, and of course Daft Punk.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
been listening to a bunch of Funkadelic albums - surely Parliament/Funkadelic must rate as one (or two) of the all-time great American bands. thoughts?

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
VeINpSz.jpg

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
been listening to a bunch of Funkadelic albums - surely Parliament/Funkadelic must rate as one (or two) of the all-time great American bands. thoughts?

Hell yeah! I've always been more of a Parliament fan because of the JB horn section and the Bootsy presence, but Funkadelic had a ton of kickass songs too (even if they never really had that "fantastic top to bottom" album).

You including Bootsy's 3 classic albums in these listening sessions too?

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

The last half of this song is the best idea anyone has ever had. "Let's have two guitar solos, but instead of trade-offs or something, they'll be going on at the same time." Genius.

Miss Ausguins

Needs moar Vodka
Jul 28, 2010
Straya
Top-5 Bands/Artists (not in any particular order):

- The Living End (they are an amazing 3 piece Aussie band)
- Jamiroquai
- Metallica
- Powderfinger (another awesome Aussie band who are no more)
- Fleetwood Mac

Top 5 Albums:

Ten: Pearl Jam
A Funk Odyssey: Jamiroquai
Metallica: Metallica
Americana: The Offspring
And Justice for All: Metallica

First album you just thought about:

Ten: Pearl Jam (AKA The Bestest Driving Music Ever). It's the first cassette that I played in the car after I obtained my Driver's License. Trashed so many cassette copies of that masterpiece over the years and don't have to worry about that anymore now that I have that on my iTunes Library and also on my iPhone

5 CD's on the player right now:

I don't do CD Players - only the iTunes Library

Last 5 Albums You Bought/Downloaded:

F##K Me I'm Famous: David and Cathy Guetta
Home: Rudimental
Alive 2007 Live: Daft Punk
Random Access Memories: Daft Punk
Until Now: Swedish House Mafia

Artist you'd most like to meet/drink with:

Eddie Vedder

Band that you'd love to see in concert but it can never happen:

The Doors - RIP Jim and Ray
Queen
Rolling Stones
Guns n Roses (with Duff and Slash back where they both belong - they are the only Gunners who mattered - can't stand Axl though)

Favorite styles:

My style of music varies, I love the majority of styles that you can think of

Styles you don't listen to:

- Boy Bands
- Gansta Rap
- Death Metal
- Country (unless it's the drunken sing along ones)
- Teenybopper/Manufactured crap that is on Disney Chanel

Desert Island Album:

Ten: Pearl Jam

Last edited:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Hell yeah! I've always been more of a Parliament fan because of the JB horn section and the Bootsy presence, but Funkadelic had a ton of kickass songs too (even if they never really had that "fantastic top to bottom" album).

You including Bootsy's 3 classic albums in these listening sessions too?

i was listening to the run from '73-'78 (Cosmic Slop, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, Let's Take It to the Stage, Hardcore Jollies and One Nation Under a Groove)

i don't have the Bootsy stuff, but i've heard some of it. i remember an album that featured a 'cosmic boot' on the cover that was pretty good.

the JBs are killer. i think i have one of their solo albums from the late-60s (Pass the Peas?). i usually get my JB fix from James Brown records (like The Popcorn).

both bands are classic and taken together their work respects a staggering achievement but these days i turn to Funkadelic more often. in the simplest terms, they fill the greater need - the need for guitar rock that isn't sandbagged by odious lyrics and historic singing (which happens to plague the vast majority of 70's "hard-rock"). surely, Eddie Hazel is the best Hendrix acolyte?

for someone who isn't exactly a devotee of rock (as you know my comfort zone if free-jazz) Funkadelic is the perfect rock band.

plus i think they have better album covers. :laugh:

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
i was listening to the run from '73-'78 (Cosmic Slop, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, Let's Take It to the Stage, Hardcore Jollies and One Nation Under a Groove)

Oh yeah, alllll good ****. Have you heard their first 3 albums?

i don't have the Bootsy stuff, but i've heard some of it. i remember an album that featured a 'cosmic boot' on the cover that was pretty good.

Man, if you like funk, you NEED to hear Bootsy's 3 albums from '76 to '78 (Stretchin' Out, Ahh...The Name Is Bootsy, Baby!, Bootsy? Player of the Year). Consistently great, and really fun funk albums. Crazy combo of tongue-in-cheek sexual innuendo, comedy, and badass bottom end. Any ballad called "Munchies For Your Love" that finishes with an unhinged, distorted bass solo demands to be heard. :laugh:

That "boot album" you were talking about was from '79 after Bootsy had burnt out and most Parliament/Funkadelic stuff was in decline until Clinton's solo album in '82. It was okay, but not representative quality-wise.

the JBs are killer. i think i have one of their solo albums from the late-60s (Pass the Peas?). i usually get my JB fix from James Brown records (like The Popcorn).

Definitely. Brown's band only started putting out instrumental albums after Bootsy and Catfish had left the group in '71. Still a great band, but not as good as the "Collins Bros" incarnation or the earlier group with Pee Wee Ellis arranging.

both bands are classic and taken together their work respects a staggering achievement but these days i turn to Funkadelic more often. in the simplest terms, they fill the greater need - the need for guitar rock that isn't sandbagged by odious lyrics and historic singing (which happens to plague the vast majority of 70's "hard-rock"). surely, Eddie Hazel is the best Hendrix acolyte?

Everybody's got their preference, haha. Hazel's a great guitar player..."Maggot Brain" is nuts. But that combo of Clinton (ideas/ringmaster), Worrell (harmonic colour), Bootsy (bottom end), and Parker/Wesley (horns) is just untouchable to me. Funkadelic kicks ass, but I jones for that fat Bootsy BOMP. I really like the Parliament mythology and concept album aspect too.

plus i think they have better album covers. :laugh:

Ohhhh, I dunno. Those Funkadelic covers are wild, but Parliament has some of my favourite album covers just because of how goofy they are, haha.

I mean, I know this is an inside cover, but it's probably the most ballin' thing I've ever seen:

5793488536_41d8460276_m.jpg

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Funkadelic > Parliament for me. love the looser, acid rock feel that Funkadelic would nail while still bringing the funk. taken together though I would definitely agree they were one of the greatest american bands.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Funkadelic > Parliament for me. love the looser, acid rock feel that Funkadelic would nail while still bringing the funk. taken together though I would definitely agree they were one of the greatest american bands.

I think it generally depends on which side you come from. If you're more of a rock fan, you probably prefer Funkadelic. If you're more of a funk fan, you probably prefer Parliament.

Inklings

and you feel shame
Feb 8, 2007
www.myspace.com
Spent the last few days listening to my Ride records/tapes. Cant seem to get enough of this song. Its hard to believe this album will be 23 years old next month. So ahead of their time. Its nice to see the shoegazer scene is making a little comeback over in Japan and parts of Europe. Hope it gets a little bigger here in the states. Hopefully with MBV releasing all those new tour dates in america/canada that will help put a little more focus back on the genre.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Spent the last few days listening to my Ride records/tapes. Cant seem to get enough of this song. Its hard to believe this album will be 23 years old next month. So ahead of their time. Its nice to see the shoegazer scene is making a little comeback over in Japan and parts of Europe. Hope it gets a little bigger here in the states. Hopefully with MBV releasing all those new tour dates in america/canada that will help put a little more focus back on the genre.

Well there's my lesson for today - I had no idea what 'shoegazing' was and had never heard of it:

Shoegazing was originally a slag-off term. My partner [K.J. "Moose" McKillop], who was the guitarist in Moose, claims that it was originally leveled at his band. Apparently the journo was referring to the bank of effects pedals he had strewn across the stage that he had to keep staring at in order to operate. And then it just became a generic term for all those bands that had a big, sweeping, effects-laden sound, but all stood resolutely still on stage. - Miki Berenyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad