OT: The Semi-irregular Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
that Slint album had a big impact on me at the time (as with many of my friends... including an old roommate who has since joined the band on "reunions") but I definitely prefer The For Carnation.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Top-5 Bands/Artists
  • Ben Folds / Five
  • Elliott Smith
  • Eels
  • Tom Waits
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers

Top-5 Albums
  • Ben Folds Five - Self Titled
  • Elliott Smith - XO
  • Weezer - Pinkerton
  • Beck - Sea Change
  • The Strokes - Is This It

Best Concert You've Ever Been To
Ben Folds (solo piano tour) at the Metropol in 2002

Last Concert You Went To
Broken Fences (good local group) at the Pittsburgh Winery

Biggest Concert Dissappointment
Saw Goo Goo Dolls and Counting Crows a little while back at Starlake. GGD were actually decent, but the Counting Crows just... Adam Duritz started getting a little "eh" as the concert went along..

Artist you'd most like to meet/drink with
I'd say Tom Waits, but I'm pretty sure he gave up drinking, so, let's go with E from the Eels.

Band that you'd love to see in concert but it can never happen
Elliott Smith
Queen + Freddie.

Styles you don't listen to
Modern country/rap. I do like good hip-hop though (see: most of People Under The Stairs)

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i'm listening to AMM for the first time (don't know why i've ignored them so long, perhaps bias against free-improv as the cold, clinical step-brother of free-jazz). stuff is nuts and awesome. ostensibly it's free-improvisation - seemingly random percussion, droning guitar and off-kilter piano. the album cover is pretty nifty as well.

AMM.jpg

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Most Pink Floyd fans I know would rank Animals equal or greater to DSOTM and WYWH, and all three (and often Meddle) above The Wall.

The Wall is one of the most overrated albums of all-time IMO. Not even saying it's bad, but I find it crazy when people cite it as Floyd's best.

It depends on what one's criteria for "best" are. Personally, I enjoy Meddle more than The Wall, in that I think the high points of each are higher, but The Wall is a more unified package. I'm far less likely to skip tracks when listening to The Wall, simply because of the whole story being told.

As for Animals - I don't know. It's never grabbed me. I'm just not a big fan of it. I actually prefer A Momentary Lapse of Reason or The Division Bell over Animals.

Of course, my tastes tend more towards electronic music than prog rock, so maybe that's why you don't understand my preference, and I don't understand yours ;)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
i'm listening to AMM for the first time (don't know why i've ignored them so long, perhaps bias against free-improv as the cold, clinical step-brother of free-jazz). stuff is nuts and awesome. ostensibly it's free-improvisation - seemingly random percussion, droning guitar and off-kilter piano. the album cover is pretty nifty as well.

AMM.jpg

Yeah, that free improv stuff can be a bit sterile. I used to like hearing what sounds Derek Bailey could get out of his guitar though, haha.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
ditto the improv. I saw AMM years ago in Pittsburgh. the book Derek Bailey wrote, Improvisation, is worth reading.

Sun City Girls were my favorite contemporary improvisers.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
ditto the improv. I saw AMM years ago in Pittsburgh. the book Derek Bailey wrote, Improvisation, is worth reading.

Sun City Girls were my favorite contemporary improvisers.

You know, I tried to dl Torch of the Mystics a few months back but it never even got up to 1%. :laugh:

Still haven't heard 'em.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i like what i've heard from Sun City Girls. Torch of the Mystics is killer.

somehow i never quite associated Bailey, Evan Parker and the like with 'free-improv' and i've been enjoying them for years. for some reason i thought they existed in a different realm from the likes of AMM and Taj Mahal Travellers.

looks like i forgot what William Parker had to say, "How dare we spend so much valuable energy answering such questions as 'what is jazz?'"

Last edited:

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
in the book (and interviews I've read), Bailey's main goal is to break free from any genre conventions - so really his music is the definition of "free" improv. kind of funny that in attempting to steer clear of blues/jazz/folk/etc conventions/chords, he's actually creating something just as rigorous.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It depends on what one's criteria for "best" are. Personally, I enjoy Meddle more than The Wall, in that I think the high points of each are higher, but The Wall is a more unified package. I'm far less likely to skip tracks when listening to The Wall, simply because of the whole story being told.

This is exactly it for me. In my opinion The Wall is their best album even though its not the best collection of songs.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
The Wall lacks the musicianship and creativity of Gilmour and Wright.

And it's just different. Almost like an opera. Just not my thing. I'll take the progressive, deeper, more complex era of Floyd.

I don't not like The Wall though, don't get me wrong.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Wall lacks the musicianship and creativity of Gilmour and Wright.

And it's just different. Almost like an opera. Just not my thing. I'll take the progressive, deeper, more complex era of Floyd.

I don't not like The Wall though, don't get me wrong.

it being so different is what puts it up top for me. I'm someone that listens to all of my music on random. The Wall is one of the only albums I've ever listened to that I am compelled to listen to as a complete album. Most albums are collections of songs. The Wall is something different. And I'm sure its not the only one. I just don't know the other ones because as we have already established, I am a damn Philistine.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
it being so different is what puts it up top for me. I'm someone that listens to all of my music on random. The Wall is one of the only albums I've ever listened to that I am compelled to listen to as a complete album. Most albums are collections of songs. The Wall is something different. And I'm sure its not the only one. I just don't know the other ones because as we have already established, I am a damn Philistine.

Pretty much all Floyd albums have spectacular flow and some grande concept.

DSOTM is pretty much one song with different parts. WWYH opens and closes with two parts of SOYCD.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Meddle and Ummagumma are great, but I'll be that guy and say that my favorite Floyd are their first two albums (with Syd Barrett).

Live at Pompeii is awesome viewing as well.

Last edited:

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I can't stand early PF. I like prog rock, but psychedelic rock is just something I can't stand. Echoes is the precise moment they became a good band.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'm ok with the early Pink Floyd, don't like the post Waters Pink Floyd at all, but love the middle. I'd probably rank the 'middle' albums as follows:

1 - WYWH
2 - Animals
3 - DSOTM
4 - Meddle
5 - The Wall
6 - Final Cut

Some of the early, more bizarre stuff that I really like are 'Interstellar Overdrive', 'Bike', 'Careful with that Axe Eugene', and 'Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun'. While I like this stuff, I've rarely put on the albums as there's a lot on them that I just find boring.

For my money, they could have stopped making new music before Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason. Waters/Gilmour is what made them special. When Waters left, it was a glorified Dave Gilmour band which is OK but is not Pink Floyd. They should have just toured playing the old stuff - people would still have come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->