- In Flames
- Muse
- Keane/Death Cab/Paramore/The Sounds/The All-American Rejects

Top-5 Albums
- Ride the Lightning (Metallica)
- Reroute to Remain (In Flames)
- Riot! (Paramore)
- Plans (Death Cab for Cutie)
- X&Y/A Rush of Blood to the Head (Coldplay)

Top-5 Songs
- Clocks (Coldplay)
- Fix You (Coldplay)
- Amsterdam (Imagine Dragons)
- Gonzo (The All-American Rejects)
- Fade to Black (Metallica)

Current Bands/Music
Top-5 Bands/Artists Right Now
- Coldplay
- The xx
- Imagine Dragons
- Daft Punk (Get Lucky & Instant Crush)
- The Killers

Concerts
Best Concert You've Ever Been To
Metallica (Helsinki 2007)

Last Concert You Went To
The Sounds (Helsinki 2012)

Artist you'd most like to meet/drink with
Hayley Williams <3

Band that you'd love to see in concert but it can never happen
Muse (Back in the day when their music was great)

Styles of Music
Favorite styles
- Alternative
- Indie
- Pop/Rock

Styles you don't listen to
- House
- Techno
- Dubstep
- etc

Desert Island Album (you get 1 album for eternity)
Making this list was the hardest thing I have done in my life so I'm refusing to answer this :laugh:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Oh, nice. I only got to go there once, but it was a pretty cool shop. Shortly after I left I heard they were absorbing Wicked Discs' stock and changing their name to Sound Cat or something. Probably still a rad place.

I actually never made it to Eides. It was just so much easier to hit up Wicked Discs (which was two blocks away from my first place), The Exchange in Oakland or Squirrel Hill, or Jerry's for me. It seems like it's kind of legendary and might have been the Pittsburgh record store for metal in the '80s or so. (Not sure if that's true these days but if it is I'll have to kick myself extra hard.)

Did anyone here ever get a chance to go to Record-Rama during its heyday? That seems like it would have been an awesome place, based on the owner having one of the largest record collections in the world (actually claimed to the largest and apparently larger than the Library of Congress'). Here's a documentary snippet about the guy: http://vimeo.com/1546186

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh man... I wish I would have stopped in there. I was probably too young when it was still open, though. And certainly not interested in vinyl, at the time.

That guy's collection was appraised at 50 million dollars, by the way. But he was having massive difficulty selling it for a fraction of that. I think he finally did, eventually. I can see why it might be a bit hard to convince someone to buy 50 million dollars worth of records.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
Record Rama was the first record store I frequented since it was near my house. After I discovered Jim's (which became Paul's), I hardly ever went back, because the stock mostly sucked and the owner was a jerk. He severely overvalued his collection - that's why it didn't sell.

Jerry's is and always has been the best as far as vinyl goes, and it's one of the best all-vinyl stores in the world. He's the man. I lived across the street from the Sq Hill store for 7 years and went in probably 4 times a week, always finding new stuff. I should've billed him for my movers over the years...

I never cared for Eide's. I won't go into it here, but I decided to never step foot in there again about a decade ago.

For vinyl lovers who are willing to spend a bit more and who are looking for rare stuff, Mind Cure is the new place to check out. Great little shop, and you can find everything from Kiss to Howlin' Wolf to psych and jazz.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hmmm... maybe I'm glad I didn't ever go in there, then.

If you own 50 million dollars worth of records and your stock sucks... you're probably doing something very wrong.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Yeah, he seems a little self-important in the video, but still, what he's amassed is impressive. Wouldn't be surprised if his collection leans heavy on classic rock and oldies type stuff. I was reading an article on him after watching that and it seems like he paid special attention to obscure Pittsburgh releases, which would make for a really cool compilation or something.

My SoundCat/Wicked Discs is based on my recollection of a brief conversation I had with the owner (I assume) on their FB page when they closed. The closing took me completely by surprise though. I moved from Oakland to East Liberty after grad school while I was figuring out what I would do next (and I only lasted like four more months in Pittsburgh, unfortunately), so I didn't patronize WD so much. I went back after a month or so to find a piece of paper with their closing message taped to the door and their space cleaned out.

I guess the ultimate test would be to see if you can find Hydra Vein - Rather Death Than False of Faith or either Piledriver LP in new condition at Sound Cat. At one point WD acquire some sealed '80s indie metal. It was kinda expensive and I think I was like the only person buying any of it. :haha: I was thinking of getting those records when they closed up.

Mind Cure had just opened when I was there, and while it was close enough to my place in Oakland, I never made a trip. My one friend was a fan, though, and the things he talked about buying there should have convinced me otherwise.

There was also Slipped Disc in Oakland, but their selection was really mediocre and overpriced.

It's interesting, though. Pittsburgh has a bunch of great/interesting record stores serving a city of ~300,000 (granted, with a metro of ~2.5 million). Meanwhile, in Tucson, a city of ~500,000 that's still growing quickly (although admittedly with a metro that's still under 1 million) and is home to a major university, there are three, by my count (which may be inaccurate). Two of them are Zia locations, which is good because they're similar to The Exchange and satisfy my needs pretty well. The other is a place called Toxic Ranch, which is tiny and punk-focused. (People into old hardcore might know Raw Power. The people behind Toxic Ranch released some of their stuff in the US.) Bookman's has a few locations and they sell music, too, but they're, obviously, primarily a bookstore (and a really nice option, at that). Apparently in the past couple years a few places have tried to get in on the vinyl boom but they've all gone bust quickly. All of these stores are located within a 15 minute drive of each other in a city that can take an hour to drive across.

Last edited:

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
can someone explain the appeal of vinyl over an mp3 or cd? Is it just to have a collection?

- better sound quality than CDs and far better than mp3 (fact) due to the amount of information that can be stored and then played in the grooves.
- analog vs digital
- records are big and beautiful. CDs are small, hard plastic. mp3s are 1's and 0's.
- records have been collectible since they were introduced. CDs have basically no value after only ~30 years of existence and mp3s are throwaway files.
- having toured a lot over the years, records help pay for gas and food whereas CDs just take up space in the van.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
- better sound quality than CDs and far better than mp3 (fact) due to the amount of information that can be stored and then played in the grooves.
- analog vs digital
- records are big and beautiful. CDs are small, hard plastic. mp3s are 1's and 0's.
- records have been collectible since they were introduced. CDs have basically no value after only ~30 years of existence and mp3s are throwaway files.
- having toured a lot over the years, records help pay for gas and food whereas CDs just take up space in the van.

I have never heard a record that didn't sound like **** compared to an MP3. Maybe I've just never had a good record player. But that's all fair I guess. I personally don't care about being analog vs digital and I consider mp3s taking up no physical space as a huge advantage over even CDs let alone big clunky records. I simply wouldn't listen to music if I had to own it all on physical media.

Not saying you are wrong about anything. I just have a very different opinion. I absolutely love music and movies going digital.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
MP3s have always sounded tinny and thin, to me. Especially coming out of ear buds on an iToy. I realize encoding quality has a lot to do with that... but even lossless audio files (FLAK, as an example) just sound like they are missing depth, to my ears. I've never really liked CDs as a format, either... even though I've grown up with them.

Much of it (probably nearly all of it) is simply preference, though. And I wholeheartedly understand why someone would think listening to your music on 300+ pounds of equipment using a medium that has essentially been defunct for decades is a bit silly.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
MP3s have always sounded tinny and thin, to me. Especially coming out of ear buds on an iToy. I realize encoding quality has a lot to do with that... but even lossless audio files (FLAK, as an example) just sound like they are missing depth, to my ears. I've never really liked CDs as a format, either... even though I've grown up with them.

Much of it (probably nearly all of it) is simply preference, though. And I wholeheartedly understand why someone would think listening to your music on 300+ pounds of equipment using a medium that has essentially been defunct for decades is a bit silly.

keep in mind, I know absolutely nothing about music and as long as it doesn't sound scratchy or skipping I probably won't notice any audio issues. Records are much more likely to sound scratchy than an MP3 and that bothers me more than any possible loss in quality that I don't even know is there.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I have never heard a record that didn't sound like **** compared to an MP3. Maybe I've just never had a good record player. But that's all fair I guess. I personally don't care about being analog vs digital and I consider mp3s taking up no physical space as a huge advantage over even CDs let alone big clunky records. I simply wouldn't listen to music if I had to own it all on physical media.

Not saying you are wrong about anything. I just have a very different opinion. I absolutely love music and movies going digital.

On top of that, every bit of music I own is in the cloud so I can always get to it, will never lose it, and it'll never be scratched.

At almost 50 years old, I understand the nostalgia of LPs and 45s but at the same time, as an almost 50 year old metal fan who still loves it loud in the car, I don't hear the depth or the nuances that some like albums for anymore. :laugh:

ShadowSoldier89

Dec 13, 2012
All-Time Bands/Music
Top-5 Bands/Artists
1) Metallica
2) Flyleaf
3) Disturbed
4) In This Moment
5) Otep

Top-5 Albums
1) Metallica - Master of Puppets
2) Flyleaf - Memento Mori
3) Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists
4) In This Moment - A Star Crossed Wasteland
5) Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)

Top-5 Songs
1) Metallica - Disposable Heroes
2) Metallica - Unforgiven
3) Flyleaf - The Kind
4) Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists
5) In This Moment - Iron Army

Current Bands/Music
Top-5 Bands/Artists Right Now
in no order
All That Remains
In This Moment
Icon For Hire
Cage the Elephant
Otep

First album you just thought about
In This Moment - Blood

5 CDs on the player right now
(Previous 5 albums listened to on google music on my phone)
Icon For Hire - Scripted
In This Moment - Blood
Flyleaf - New Horizons
All That Remains - Overcome
Halestorm - The Strange Case of...

Last 5 Albums You Bought/Downloaded
Icon For Hire - Scripted
In This Moment - Blood
Halestorm - The Strange Case Of...
Flyleaf - New Horizons
Paramore - Paramore (bleh...)

Concerts
Best Concert You've Ever Been To
Distant Worlds (Music from Final Fantasy)

Last Concert You Went To
Carnival of Madness (Shinedown, Skillet, In This Moment, Pap Roach)

Worst Concert You've Ever Been To
I forget the tour, but we drove down to huntington virginia to see halestorm with GodSmack, and the show was good but the crowd was pathetic.

Biggest Concert Disappointment
can't think of any

Artist you'd most like to meet/drink with
Maria Brink (In This Moment)

Band that you'd love to see in concert but it can never happen
Metallica

Styles of Music
Rock (unless it is preceded by the word indie)
Metal
Classical

Styles you don't listen to
Country
Dubstep
Rap
Hip-hop

Desert Island Album (you get 1 album for eternity)
Master of Puppets

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
the tidbit i love about Spiderland is that folkie Will Oldham (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) took the photo that became the album cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad