OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Mid-Winter Blues Music

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Have you ever worked through the actual "plot" to the full Joe's Garage Act I-III story? It's pretty batshit, even for Zappa. My favorite bit, obviously, is when Joe joins the religious cult dedicated to the fetishization of appliances with their charismatic leader "L. Ron Hoover"

I haven't. My Zappahead friend is RIP.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Question for the drummers.
Let me preface by saying I'm not really a fan of Nirvana or the Foo Fighters. But for some reason I really like this song. Anyway, is this kid any good? Technique wise and whatnot? He certainly puts on a spirited performance and lays it all out there.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Question for the drummers.
Let me preface by saying I'm not really a fan of Nirvana or the Foo Fighters. But for some reason I really like this song. Anyway, is this kid any good? Technique wise and whatnot? He certainly puts on a spirited performance and lays it all out there.

Technically speaking it's nothing special. It's perfectly adequate in terms of ability but there's nothing particularly overwhelming from the technique or the rudiments or the fills.

That being said...

Sometimes all that crap gets in the way and you just want to enjoy a drummer letting fly and playing from the balls. Shane here, plays all-out and lets the emotion go just like his dad did and that's perfectly okay.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Once again my top genre in Spotify wrapped is "alternative hip hop" and yet Brian Eno has again snuck into the top 5.

I'm 42 but I still like to get hype in the car.

Top tracks:

(Oakland's own!)

(10 years old but every track is good)

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Technically speaking it's nothing special. It's perfectly adequate in terms of ability but there's nothing particularly overwhelming from the technique or the rudiments or the fills.

That being said...

Sometimes all that crap gets in the way and you just want to enjoy a drummer letting fly and playing from the balls. Shane here, plays all-out and lets the emotion go just like his dad did and that's perfectly okay.
:bb: :thumbu:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Once again my top genre in Spotify wrapped is "alternative hip hop" and yet Brian Eno has again snuck into the top 5.

I'm 42 but I still like to get hype in the car.

Now that I have become a chauffer, er I mean, parent, and have to haul the damn kids everywhere the Spotify wrapped becomes a real adventure. My daughter is a bit older now so it's no longer a mix of Meshuggah and Frozen but I've got my top 3 of Gojira, Ne Obliviscaris, and then some person named Chinchilla? Like the rodent I guess?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I bought this record (and their other two albums) when I was high school in the early '80's. On Skye Records.

Definitely beats my high school music habits. I think the most offbeat stuff I kinda liked back then was the Chemical Brothers. Wasn't really familiar with Radiohead let alone Brian Eno.

Didn't even begin to expand my tastes until the file sharing era.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Definitely beats my high school music habits. I think the most offbeat stuff I kinda liked back then was the Chemical Brothers. Wasn't really familiar with Radiohead let alone Brian Eno.

Didn't even begin to expand my tastes until the file sharing era.

Moebius is more interesting than Roedelius.

Reactions: tom_servo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad