OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Mid-Winter Blues Music

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Saw them at Lollapalooza '93 ....last 4 acts on main stage: Rage Against the Machine- Alice in Chains- Fishbone- and Primus headlined....that ended up being the 3rd time I saw Alice in Chains by accident...

I was there. When you could still party in the parking lot. Box truck with Kegs my friend rented.

What a time...

Edit: Here's my contribution to the thread.

Last edited:

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Pavement is pretty far out of my wheelhouse but I'll pour one out for another stickman lost.

I was listening to a podcast just yesterday where they were attempting to prove that drummers are 'lost' at a higher rate than any other member of a band, from death both natural and chemical (Peart, Bonzo, Moon), injury (Collins), and in some rare cases, happy retirement (Bruford).
Before Charlie Watts and Peart died, Peart was asked by an interviewer, "Well, Charlie Watts is still performing and he's older.." Peart replied, "Yes, and if I was playing his parts I could still do it also..."

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Before Charlie Watts and Peart died, Peart was asked by an interviewer, "Well, Charlie Watts is still performing and he's older.." Peart replied, "Yes, and if I was playing his parts I could still do it also..."

I love me some Charlie Watts. There is something to be said about being straight ahead and dependable and fitting what the band is doing. But... yeah. Everyone gets on Ringo for being kinda simple (which is untrue IMO) when they should probably be looking at Watts.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

gopens66

May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I love me some Charlie Watts. There is something to be said about being straight ahead and dependable and fitting what the band is doing. But... yeah. Everyone gets on Ringo for being kinda simple (which is untrue IMO) when they should probably be looking at Watts.
I was overly harsh on Ringo pretty much since Jr. High (I'm 50 now). An important thing to realize as a musician or academic, is when one gains enough knowledge to actually know what they don't know. If you catch my drift....I agree with your assessment. Watts is way more simple than Ringo. Ringo's feel is undeniable. It still doesn't change my opinion that he's the luckiest human being in world history.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was overly harsh on Ringo pretty much since Jr. High (I'm 50 now). An important thing to realize as a musician or academic, is when one gains enough knowledge to actually know what they don't know. If you catch my drift....I agree with your assessment. Watts is way more simple than Ringo. Ringo's feel is undeniable. It still doesn't change my opinion that he's the luckiest human being in world history.

Haha... that's fair. Too bad Pete Best didn't get that memo.

I used to be harsh on Ringo, too. But like you said the more you listen the more you realize how much more interesting and dynamic his choices made their music.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh nice! Didn't even realize. Good lookin' out.

Also... jealous.

Melody's Echo Chamber is opening. I wasn't a huge fan of their first record because I think Tame Impala is overrated as hell. But their last couple have been kind of a cool meeting point between Air, Blonde Redhead and some of those weird WARP Records bands like Broadcast.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Haha... that's fair. Too bad Pete Best didn't get that memo.

I used to be harsh on Ringo, too. But like you said the more you listen the more you realize how much more interesting and dynamic his choices made their music.

I've come to grips with the fact that Charlie Watts became rich by playing drum lines that most 7th graders could handle easily, for a long time I think it was the main contributing factor in my dislike of the the Stones in general. Pure jealousy. In many cases, you can look at simple drumlines and think "well yeah but at least he/she is driving the song and keeping the solid beat" but I don't even feel like Watts did that.

Ringo always had at least a bit of interestingess, he's a leftie playing a righthand kit so it's fun to pick out how it affects his fills. As the Beatles movd out of their "boy band pop" phase into their "I'm stoned to bejesus' phase the drumlines naturally became a bit more chaotic and interesting. Some of the bits he plays on those later albums are VERY intriguing.

It's one of the 'arguments' my wife and I often have. She loves the early clean pop Beatles and I always say their music never got interesting until the LSD.

gopens66

May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I've come to grips with the fact that Charlie Watts became rich by playing drum lines that most 7th graders could handle easily, for a long time I think it was the main contributing factor in my dislike of the the Stones in general. Pure jealousy. In many cases, you can look at simple drumlines and think "well yeah but at least he/she is driving the song and keeping the solid beat" but I don't even feel like Watts did that.

Ringo always had at least a bit of interestingess, he's a leftie playing a righthand kit so it's fun to pick out how it affects his fills. As the Beatles movd out of their "boy band pop" phase into their "I'm stoned to bejesus' phase the drumlines naturally became a bit more chaotic and interesting. Some of the bits he plays on those later albums are VERY intriguing.

It's one of the 'arguments' my wife and I often have. She loves the early clean pop Beatles and I always say their music never got interesting until the LSD.
Exactly what my wife and I say!

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Just saw a link to this:

Greatest rock band ever.

It played at the Harris Theater a few weeks ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad