OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Definitely Jeff Lynne. Lynne has serious professional artist type fro vibe while Garfunkel is more like "Grandpa forgot to comb his hair after his shower again, didn't he?"

Reactions: BillPrep

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I love my Bose sound bar and computer speakers. Though the left speaker has a bit of a rattle to it if I turn it up too loud. Been wondering how to fix it.

My ear/headphones suck.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I legitimately can't fathom singing along to anything other than the 2-1-2-3 at the start of Holland, 1945. Yikes.

I wouldn't consider it that kind of album for me either, to be honest, but I do find it to be one of the best albums of its era. Far too heavy for it to be in constant rotation for me, but it is also one of the few albums that I can say I've listened to at least once a year for more than half of my life. Modest Mouse, Pavement, Built To Spill, & Pavement were basically the foundation for my musical taste. Anti-grunge, in a sense. Loathing Pearl Jam is the one constant pre and post "taste" for me :laugh:

yeah f*** Pearl Jam. 2nd worst fan base after Tool.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Man I like most Tool, old Tool anyway, but yeah, they do have some asstastic fans. Most crap fan bases are populated with people who tend to over-inflate the imporance of the band in the grander scheme. Listening to Forty Six & 2 6,000 times is not going to get you to enlightenment and stop trying to analyze Disgustipated.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Man I like most Tool, old Tool anyway, but yeah, they do have some asstastic fans. Most crap fan bases are populated with people who tend to over-inflate the imporance of the band in the grander scheme. Listening to Forty Six & 2 6,000 times is not going to get you to enlightenment and stop trying to analyze Disgustipated.

Best burn I ever heard was in high school my friend went up to some kid at lunch who was wearing a Tool shirt and asked him if he heard that the new Tool album had been delayed. That kid was like what? And he said yeah Maynard lost his protractor.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Best burn I ever heard was in high school my friend went up to some kid at lunch who was wearing a Tool shirt and asked him if he heard that the new Tool album had been delayed. That kid was like what? And he said yeah Maynard lost his protractor.

There are plenty of bands who lean on polyrhythm and do it more cohesively and objectively better than Tool but where Tool deserve some credit is that they have somehow become 'mainstream' while doing it. Most randos at the mall will have heard of Tool, maybe a couple will know Meshuggah or DEP but most will stare blankly at Car Bomb or Animals as Leaders or BTBAM.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I never quite got Tool's schtick, but I don't think I was the target audience for it.

Speaking of polyrhythms, I saw Acid Mothers Temple one time and they had 4(!) drummers all playing a different time signature. It was like having a very Japanese migraine and it ruled.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I am very much the target audience, an old drummer who's employed in Data Analytics. If you look up a picture for polyrhythmic target audience, I'll be sitting there holding a metronome in one hand and pushing my glasses up with the other.

Drummers and bassists unite here I think....rhythm sections have time to worry about things like counting out 15/8 measures because we have to kill the free time while vocalists and lead guitarists are off doing things like talking to girls and consuming free drinks.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I admittidly feel like I've missed the whole vinyl thing which sucks because it would be right up my alley. At this point I'm not sure I have the space or time or resource to put into it though I've considered snapping up some classic vinyl to be used as office deco, as blasphemous as some of you may find that idea.

As it stands, I own exactly one vinyl at this time, a copy of the below album that got scribbled on by some dude named Roger. Wonder if he's famous or something...

This was one of 13 records that I ordered on my Columbia House Record club in 1981. It's a cheap "dynaflex" pressing.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Had wifey take the kids out this afternoon while working on a presentation and listened to “Grace” (Jeff Buckley) front to cover.

Brought back the memories of Roskilde Festival ‘95 - a year or so before his drowning. We all lost out there (whether you know it or not young‘uns).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Had wifey take the kids out this afternoon while working on a presentation and listened to “Grace” (Jeff Buckley) front to cover.

Brought back the memories of Roskilde Festival ‘95 - a year or so before his drowning. We all lost out there (whether you know it or not young‘uns).

You can listen to Grace around your kids too if you’d like.

Hallelujah has really taken a hit over the years. I remember in like 2001 thinking it was the apex of covers. Now I hate it.

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad