OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Doubling down on the audio technica.

I have the Musichall USB-1 which is pretty nice, but it feels like it came from target and I’ve had to readjust the arm level clip multiple times and the tracking seems slightly warped.

Save up for this:

b781b031a4e15cea12fd054dfaeeecac.jpeg

Technics Announces the SL-1210GAE Limited Edition Direct Drive Turntable to Commemorate Its 55th Anniversary

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
My 76 Pioneer PL530 is still holding up though it's a bit cranky here and there in it's old age. I can relate.

Some of the listings I've seen for these units is zany. I'm often tempted to sell it off but nahhhhh.

I've been tracking a ton of vocals the last two months. Not something I'm terribly used to. So I've been listening to even more Beach Boys than usual for some inspiration. Might as well aim high.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
My 76 Pioneer PL530 is still holding up though it's a bit cranky here and there in it's old age. I can relate.

Some of the listings I've seen for these units is zany. I'm often tempted to sell it off but nahhhhh.

I've been tracking a ton of vocals the last two months. Not something I'm terribly used to. So I've been listening to even more Beach Boys than usual for some inspiration. Might as well aim high.

I have a 530 but it currently needs some fixing and the shop I want to take it to is closed until their staff gets vaccinated.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I sold my beloved Pass Labs unit and B&W speakers last year and got our home rigged with Sonos instead.

Once a month... or basically whenever I am home alone... I miss it for the power and purity. But most the time with most everything being digital anyway, and Sonos connecting to everything the kids want, the multiroom functionality is a lot more... functional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I have a 530 but it currently needs some fixing and the shop I want to take it to is closed until their staff gets vaccinated.

Yeah I have the matching receiver for it, too. It's a black version of the SX-950 which are usually silver. I had it gone through a year or so ago by someone local but it's acting up again so when shit gets somewhat back to normal I have intentions of roadtripping to someplace with a solid rep to have it looked at.

The good thing about this old stuff is that it can be finnicky but can always be fixed... provided you can find someone that still knows how to do the work.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I admittidly feel like I've missed the whole vinyl thing which sucks because it would be right up my alley. At this point I'm not sure I have the space or time or resource to put into it though I've considered snapping up some classic vinyl to be used as office deco, as blasphemous as some of you may find that idea.

As it stands, I own exactly one vinyl at this time, a copy of the below album that got scribbled on by some dude named Roger. Wonder if he's famous or something...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I admittidly feel like I've missed the whole vinyl thing which sucks because it would be right up my alley. At this point I'm not sure I have the space or time or resource to put into it though I've considered snapping up some classic vinyl to be used as office deco, as blasphemous as some of you may find that idea.

As it stands, I own exactly one vinyl at this time, a copy of the below album that got scribbled on by some dude named Roger. Wonder if he's famous or something...

I have what I'm pretty sure is an original pressing of the White Album with a scribble mark on the front like they were trying to get their pen to start writing. Fairly certain that it wasn't somebody named John, Paul, George, or Ringo, though :laugh: Got it for $1 and it plays alright, so fine by me. It would be a boring piece of decoration anyway.

Displaying albums is cool. Album artwork has lost its importance in the digital age, but yeah, you should find something that can play them (maybe not your copy of WYWH, though). Find some used shit from the 70's and make it part of your deco.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I too started about 10 years ago with the AT LP-60.

I still have it, though :(

That's what I have from 3 years ago.

It'd be pointless for me to upgrade beyond that while sharing walls with neighbors. I'd have gone full tilt into the records thing in my 20s if I had the money to do so, but that AT LP-60 was my first record player. My brother, of course, broke the family record player before I was born and records just weren't a thing I ever really saw in person until the mid-00s. Half of the reason I wound up buying that AT LP-60 was because I'd accumulated a few records as gifts because I look like the kind of guy who would have a record collection.

To be fair...an original pressing of the 2001: A Space Odyssey soundtrack is pretty much the perfect gift for me, which explains why I've received multiples of it :laugh:

Reactions: pistolpete11

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Displaying albums is cool. Album artwork has lost its importance in the digital age, but yeah, you should find something that can play them (maybe not your copy of WYWH, though). Find some used shit from the 70's and make it part of your deco.

I, obviously, am a big mark for Pink Floyd so I, equally obviously, am also a big mark for album art.

Even more so I miss the days when THE ALBUM was a big deal, when you had themes and concepts and ostinatos that persist. It's probably why I still love prog and prog metal and why, despite not initialy being a style of music I thought would interest me, I still go back the The Dear Hunter's Acts albums so frequently.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That's what I have from 3 years ago.

It'd be pointless for me to upgrade beyond that while sharing walls with neighbors. I'd have gone full tilt into the records thing in my 20s if I had the money to do so, but that AT LP-60 was my first record player. My brother, of course, broke the family record player before I was born and records just weren't a thing I ever really saw in person until the mid-00s. Half of the reason I wound up buying that AT LP-60 was because I'd accumulated a few records as gifts because I look like the kind of guy who would have a record collection.

To be fair...an original pressing of the 2001: A Space Odyssey soundtrack is pretty much the perfect gift for me, which explains why I've received multiples of it :laugh:
Truth be told, I'm just too much of a tightwad and not enough of an audiophile to justify to myself spending the money to upgrade my setup :laugh: It's better than my bluetooth speaker and I like vinyl more for the collection aspect and the ritual of having to physically find the album I want, putting it on, flipping it over, etc. Sure, if I had unlimited funds, I would love to have Henry Rollin's setup or something, but spending a couple extra hundred dollars? I don't know how much benefit I would really notice.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Truth be told, I'm just too much of a tightwad and not enough of an audiophile to justify to myself spending the money to upgrade my setup :laugh: It's better than my bluetooth speaker and I like vinyl more for the collection aspect and the ritual of having to physically find the album I want, putting it on, flipping it over, etc. Sure, if I had unlimited funds, I would love to have Henry Rollin's setup or something, but spending a couple extra hundred dollars? I don't know how much benefit I would really notice.

I got my degree in audio engineering. At this point digital has come so far there is no difference and most people are just pressing a record that was mixed to be played digitally anyway.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Oh I'm with you there. Spending half as much on a record player as my parents did on our first CD player in the early 90s is something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing without winning the ****ing lottery. No wonder we couldn't afford anything I wanted as a kid, that damn sound system that we never friggin' used cost as much as a PS5 does today...but in 1993 money. I'm always blown away at how reckless a single mall-based income used to allow a family to be.

My hearing isn't good enough for me to really tell the difference between CD quality audio and full fidelity anyway. I can far more easily justify good (not insane) headphones than anything else geared towards audiophiles...and music isn't among the top 3 reasons I justified those headphones (noise cancelling, easy to travel with, and the ability to both use as wired and bluetooth for editing).

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah I have an analog set up that’s worth probably a grand. But like people spending 10k on McIntosh’s because they have spooky lights and then listening to Sufjan Stevens is weird.

Absof***inglutely. Also, people who insist on special premium wires for their stereos are dumb as shit and are getting royally ripped off.

I love recording in digital, it's way easier than messing with tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad