OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You can listen to Grace around your kids too if you’d like.

Hallelujah has really taken a hit over the years. I remember in like 2001 thinking it was the apex of covers. Now I hate it.

Live at Sin-e is still a hell of an album though.

I go through phases where I appreciate Buckley, and times when I feel that he's a hell of a singer who got too complicated for his own good.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's a little overrated, but Grace is a pretty damn good album that doesn't really sound like much else.

It's got some great tunes, some meh tunes, some self-indulgent vocal runs, and a really dated sounding production. I tend to find that the solo versions of the songs from Sin-e are more my taste than the full band stuff. Strokes and folks, I guess. :dunno:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's got some great tunes, some meh tunes, some self-indulgent vocal runs, and a really dated sounding production. I tend to find that the solo versions of the songs from Sin-e are more my taste than the full band stuff. Strokes and folks, I guess. :dunno:

The production doesn’t sound dated to me at all. Probably up there in one of my favorite produced records.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Forgot what a killer baseline this was and great 80s pop tune...anyone who doesn’t have her albums Joan Armatrading and Walk Under Ladders is really missing out...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The production doesn’t sound dated to me at all. Probably up there in one of my favorite produced records.

I think it's mostly the Alesis reverbs on it, that shit sticks out like a sore thumb to me, plus the Mesa Boogies. Maybe I overdosed on Talk Talk records a while back. :laugh: I don't think it sounds bad, per se, it just sounds VERY mid-90s "slick" to me. That's why I like the Sin-e record more-- it's stripped down and a little rougher.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it's mostly the Alesis reverbs on it, that shit sticks out like a sore thumb to me, plus the Mesa Boogies. Maybe I overdosed on Talk Talk records a while back. :laugh: I don't think it sounds bad, per se, it just sounds VERY mid-90s "slick" to me. That's why I like the Sin-e record more-- it's stripped down and a little rougher.

Well Laughing Stock IMO is the best sounding album of all time so makes sense :)

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Intellectually I think I am on board with most all of that. At the same time I was at an amazing concert with him at a time none of this seemed like a pastiche (and I was 17, slightly high and holding on to firm titties in a sea of 50.000 people).

... as for something completely different, I had my boys (4 and 7) in the tub for a shower tonight and left them for a while with one of my playlists on... Came back to an insanely giggling 7 year old and nonplussed 4-year old at the end of Bobby Brown Goes Down...

Wtf. did I do... wifey won’t like the notes from school about juniors’ newfound vocabulary. This I know for a fact.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Intellectually I think I am on board with most all of that. At the same time I was at an amazing concert with him at a time none of this seemed like a pastiche (and I was 17, slightly high and holding on to firm titties in a sea of 50.000 people).

... as for something completely different, I had my boys (4 and 7) in the tub for a shower tonight and left them for a while with one of my playlists on... Came back to an insanely giggling 7 year old and nonplussed 4-year old at the end of Bobby Brown Goes Down...

Wtf. did I do... wifey won’t like the notes from school about juniors’ newfound vocabulary. This I know for a fact.

I never saw him live myself, but when I first moved to Chicago, a sound man friend gave me a bunch of bootlegs of Buckley and said he was one of the most electrifying performers he ever saw.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Feelin' old school. Last month was Aqualung's 50th anniversary and holy crap do I love this album. Sometimes my buds and I discuss perfect albums, ones on which there isn't a single bad song or bad moment and I think Aqualung should be on that list. This song in particular has one of my favorite all-time rock piano riffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad