OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So I know we're in this era where the hip, most popular music tends to be stuff like an artist penning a tribute to the...saturation levels of her own hyena but yet every time I listen to Devin Townsend I question how the **** he isn't the biggest artist on the face of the earth. There are musicians who have 10+ year careers that don't attempt as much and don't try to be as bold as DT does in one single song.

Not to get on a soapbox, but every time some chode gets in print and talks about how rock is dead and how no one plays guitar anymore, it occurs to me how much really REALLY good stuff there is out there if you are willing to dig the slightest bit. This album is barely over a year old and it's amazeballs.

I’m not judging you. But Devin Townsend sucks absolute dick.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I’m not judging you. But Devin Townsend sucks absolute dick.

Maybe! No business of mine I just like his music.

Besides, I never judge others based on their musical opinions even if they are BLATANTLY FREAKIN...sorry, SORRY! Not judging I promise. Devy rules and it's certainly more than just me that thinks so but hey, diff'rent strokes and whatnot. I hate the Rolling Stones; we all have values others would argue with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Maybe! No business of mine I just like his music.

Besides, I never judge others based on their musical opinions even if they are BLATENTLY FREAKIN...sorry, SORRY! Not judging I promise. Devy rules and it's certainly more than just me that thinks so but hey, diff'rent strokes and whatnot. I hate the Rolling Stones; we all have values others would argue with.

I hate anything after Jones regarding the Stones. So let's just bond on that :)

I'm a big prog guy so SYL and DT have been recommended to me a ton. I just can't get into it. Everything I hate about prog.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I hate anything after Jones regarding the Stones. So let's just bond on that :)

I'm a big prog guy so SYL and DT have been recommended to me a ton. I just can't get into it. Everything I hate about prog.

I think most of my hate is based around poor Charlie Watts. As an old grizzled vet of the percussive variety, it nags me deep down that Watts has made a bazillion dollars out of music and homie has never in his life played anything more intense than 3 or 4 eighth notes in a row. Rick Allen could play a Charlie Watts drumline post accident without all the extra peddles and hardware.

I love prog but it's a wide range. We could definitely talk prog sometime, I'm into the current harder prog metal scene a ton (thus DT and stuff like Leprous, Ne Obliviscaris, Haken, etc) but I still have a soft spot for the old full-on pretentiousness of 70's synth wankery like Yes or Gabriel-era Genesis.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My stopping point on the Stones is pretty much Exile. That's the last 100% decent album they did IMO, and it's a glorious drug-addled mess, which I think is what makes it stand the test of time.

But I have a real soft spot for brilliant-but-flawed albums with grandiose vision. Metal Machine Music, Radio Ethiopia, Zen Arcade, London Calling, The Fragile, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: vodeni

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Exile On Main Street is an astounding album.

I'm a Stones fan but I get not being about all their stuff. More than a few uneven albums or even eras with that band. Plus it's hard not to get burned on them... played constantly.

I kinda like Tattoo You as an underrated latter-day Stones record. More or less all of Side 2, in particular:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think what bores me so much about post-Exile Stones is that they fully embraced being musical comfort food at that point. Which is kind of understandable after Altamont, drug problems, legal problems, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er Blues, etc. But the Stones had pretty much two speeds that were great-- when they were Rn'B purists, and when they were trying to take that RnB that they loved to new, unexplored places in terms of texture, tone, or format.

Also, while you're here at my TEDx talk, Dr. John > Every Single Other Person Ever Associated With the Allman Brothers.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Exile On Main Street is an astounding album.

I'm a Stones fan but I get not being about all their stuff. More than a few uneven albums or even eras with that band. Plus it's hard not to get burned on them... played constantly.

I kinda like Tattoo You as an underrated latter-day Stones record. More or less all of Side 2, in particular:

I think you and I agreed on this one way back... really underrated Stones:thumbu:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Far from my favorite band to listen to, but god damn do I respect the ever-loving shit out of Chumbawumba...and Tubthumper, as an album, has aged like a fine wine compared to most of its contemporaries. Like every other 10 year-old boy in the western world I was obsessed with Tubthumping when it came out and got the CD just for it (the first CD I ever bought, though technically Dookie was my first CD), but unlike every other 10 year-old I actually liked the rest of the album even more.

There's just something magical about an anarcho-punk band selling out in the most anarcho-punk way possible that makes me feel all warm and cozy.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad