Speculation: The Second Team Presidency Discussion Thread

member 290103

This thread depresses me. Each day I visit it with hopes I'll see a new twitter posting of someone with some news that the Canucks are in talks with someone to take over and oversee the clown show, but alas, the clown show seems to be permitted to continue for another year.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Holland signing on with the Oilers makes me think that we’re out of options for the moment. Francis still has a ownership share on the Hurricanes until November, I haven’t seen anything recent on Krueger and who knows if there’s anything further on the Gillis speculation down the road.

Full Autonomy has been a talking point for the Holland to Edmonton news, so I’ll be curious if that’s ever mentioned should we have more rumours come in about the Canucks president search.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Read the article linked below concerning Ralph Krueger's time at Southampton. Raises some big red flags for me.

Krueger was infamous for his incoherent interviews, and was at his least intelligible when asked to explain what his role entailed. He would often talk in vague terms about providing ‘accountability’- a managerial buzzword that is becoming increasingly prevalent in every sphere of life. Yet he outlasted three managers appointed on his watch as Saints drifted to the brink of relegation.

Assessing the legacy left by Ralph Krueger’s Southampton chairmanship

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
That's the issue I have with Kruger, he's a walking self help books and I don't think he is capable of making hard decisions. He probably best suited as a motivational role that Ryan Walter once had in the organization.

I think Aquilini is holding out on Ron Francis, it only makes sense considering the other options were hired or never in consideration.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Read the article linked below concerning Ralph Krueger's time at Southampton. Raises some big red flags for me.

European football is nothing like the NHL, and that seems like a fan piece with very little context in how these clubs are run.

How much money did Southampton make from player sales in that time frame.

Guy bought arguably the best defender in the world for 11m pounds and sold him off for 75million.

Sold tons of overrated guys for inflated fees.

He's basically made the club over 90m pounds in player movement alone.

There's a lot more to building a squad over yonder than there is in the NHL imo.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
European football is nothing like the NHL, and that seems like a fan piece with very little context in how these clubs are run.

How much money did Southampton make from player sales in that time frame.

Guy bought arguably the best defender in the world for 11m pounds and sold him off for 75million.

Sold tons of overrated guys for inflated fees.

He's basically made the club over 90m pounds in player movement alone.

There's a lot more to building a squad over yonder than there is in the NHL imo.

I don't disagree with you, but I think a lot more due diligence is required before hopping aboard the Krueger train as some seem inclined to do.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I dont think any president is coming anymore. There are no more rumours and all the rumoured candidates are gone.

member 290103

It pains me to say it, but I think this thread is pointless. There’s no rumblings of anything and Aqua has throw cold Aqua on anything bantied about.

I think we all need to strap in for another year of the clown show.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Been saying he’s not a good choice since his name popped up. He was god awful with the Coilers. Basically allowed the Hall/Eberle group to manage themselves on the ice and the missed playoffs show it. His “accountability” slogan never really came to fruition in the NHL. Big no thanks for me.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks are quite bad at timing if we had a head coach and GM position open, we would have had Holland as GM and Kruger as our coach.

Only viable person left to be a president is Gillis.

Reactions: pomorick

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
I didn't really want Holland though would have welcomed him with open arms if it meant Benning was shown the door.

Realistically, Benning is looking like he will close out his contract here. Unless something dramatic happens with the team this season, which is highly unlikely, he'll be shown the door by next June. One more year of this garbage is hopefully all we have to put up with.

Doesn't look like there's much left at the moment anyways in terms of replacement. Gillis? I would be happy to see him in a president role though I would be very surprised if this happened. Can Aquaman swallow his pride? Somehow I doubt it.

Francis?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I didn't really want Holland though would have welcomed him with open arms if it meant Benning was shown the door.

Realistically, Benning is looking like he will close out his contract here. Unless something dramatic happens with the team this season, which is highly unlikely, he'll be shown the door by next June. One more year of this garbage is hopefully all we have to put up with.

Doesn't look like there's much left at the moment anyways in terms of replacement. Gillis? I would be happy to see him in a president role though I would be very surprised if this happened. Can Aquaman swallow his pride? Somehow I doubt it.

Francis?

I think Aquilini will wait it out to see if any GM or candidate opens up by next year. Another wild card is Ron Francis, would love for him to be on our team.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
I think Aquilini will wait it out to see if any GM or candidate opens up by next year. Another wild card is Ron Francis, would love for him to be on our team.

Yep, of all the names out there he is the one that piqued my interest.

I definetely like the look of that Hurricane team.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Nobody wants to work for Aqulini

While the search isn’t as public as the Senators is it wouldn’t surprise me if anyone else asked, like Lombardi has simply been turned off by the number of bodies leaving the organization.

Ottawa couldn’t even get guys to come in for interviews(Linden, Lombardi, etc.), so I wonder how far off we are from them in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad