Speculation: The Second Team Presidency Discussion Thread

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Brian Burke weighs in on the Canucks presidency..Talks about Bure,Benning,and that Gillis isn't getting the Seattle job....Starts at 8.50 of the interview...
Brian Burke on video review, Canucks president situation, Pavel Bure's departure - Sportsnet.ca

Burke had some serious praise for Benning, said he's a very smart person and a real leader when he was a player. Also mentioned that Benning doesn't come across as a smart hockey person because he speaks plainly but he's a lot smarter than people think.

He also seems to hate Mike Gillis.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You didn't get that hint with his Luongo rule BS?:naughty: At least he doesn't hate him as much as Lowe.
Plenty of other Luongo contracts before Lu signed his. He always hated them because he didn’t believe that the player planned on fulfilling the contract, thus the structure of the payments.

But there were plenty of loopholes when the nhl first adopted the hard cap. Redden situation of burying contracts in the A or Huey where Chicago loaned him to a European club and took no hit.

I only caught the tail end of Burke’s interview but he said that his sources don’t indicate that Gillis is in the running for many opportunities around the nhl. Mentioned that once he was out of a job he never knew if he could get back in.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Plenty of other Luongo contracts before Lu signed his. He always hated them because he didn’t believe that the player planned on fulfilling the contract, thus the structure of the payments.
Didn't seem to complain about Hossa's "skin infection".

interesting takes from Burke

Obviously has a lot of respect for Jim.
It would've been more interesting to read on his feelings towards Kevin Lowe.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I would be just fine if they only added to the management team. Imagine if they added Gillis, Linden and Gillman. I'd be doing cartwheels. But there's no way it would work or happen because of the egos involved. And that is OK, even if they figured out a way to do it, it would still fail because none of themhave the ability overrule Aquilini on certain decisions anyways

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't seem to complain about Hossa's "skin infection".

It would've been more interesting to read on his feelings towards Kevin Lowe.:laugh:
Burke also said weeks ago that he expects Lu to end up on ltir legitimately. The recapture rule was ultimately to make the two sides live up to the agreement. Player benefits in that he gets all of the money instead of leaving $3 million on the table. Team has to find a way to offload that contract somewhere.

If Hossa has a medical note from a licensed dermatologist what is left to do about it?

member 290103

interesting takes from Burke

Obviously has a lot of respect for Jim.

Clearly hates Gillis. I honestly think that a big part of Gillis' problem is that he is just not a likable person. If he was not such a smug, combative personality when he worked as the GM in Vancouver, I do think he would have survived a bit longer than he did. The guy just does not seem to have very good people skills.

I would still love to see him return. He's smart, and forward thinking - even if he is a jerk off. I don't care what Burke says about "Benji" I don't care how he carries himself in interviews - he does stupid things and has a stupid vision. That's why I think he is stupid.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Burke had some serious praise for Benning, said he's a very smart person and a real leader when he was a player. Also mentioned that Benning doesn't come across as a smart hockey person because he speaks plainly but he's a lot smarter than people think.

He also seems to hate Mike Gillis.

Everybody seems to.

He did a lot of great work with the Canucks, but he definitely didn't seem like he was ever accepted by the old boys' GM network, plus he had a pretty frosty relationship with our local media, too. I don't think Gillis was ever one to care if he was particularly well liked, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Everybody seems to.

He did a lot of great work with the Canucks, but he definitely didn't seem like he was ever accepted by the old boys' GM network, plus he had a pretty frosty relationship with our local media, too. I don't think Gillis was ever one to care if he was particularly well liked, though.
Media is one thing. Gillis played the game and was an agent so not as if he was not aware of these matters.

Personally would like to see him back in the game just so we can see him in a different setting and how he fares.

If he burned a lot of bridges in the hockey circles well, then we probably have seen the last of him in the nhl.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Everybody seems to.

I can’t help but think that was as a result of Gillis’ time as a player agent. Still, enough of them were able to look past that when they voted him executive of the year that one time. He needed a guy like Linden to schmooze over the local media.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I’ve met Gillis a couple times and worked with people who have worked with both Gillis and Burke throughout their careers. Small samples size but Burke was the more disliked of the two. Gillis was actually really nice and forthcoming but I was just chatting with him in a non work setting so that’s much different than being on the other end of a negotiating table from him. I didn’t get the egotistical vibe from him at all and he went out of his way to praise the people who worked with him at the Canucks. Henning and Gilman especially. I could definitely see him being an absolutely ruthless negotiator though and a big baby like Burke or other old boys club members not liking that.

If I meet him again I’m gonna muster up the courage to ask him about Torts. I hated the Torts hire at first, liked him more as time went on and then hated his decision to being Lou at the Classic. Would be curious to hear what Gillis has to say about all that although I doubt I’d get much out of him.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I’ve met Gillis a couple times and worked with people who have worked with both Gillis and Burke throughout their careers. Small samples size but Burke was the more disliked of the two. Gillis was actually really nice and forthcoming but I was just chatting with him in a non work setting so that’s much different than being on the other end of a negotiating table from him. I didn’t get the egotistical vibe from him at all and he went out of his way to praise the people who worked with him at the Canucks. Henning and Gilman especially. I could definitely see him being an absolutely ruthless negotiator though and a big baby like Burke or other old boys club members not liking that.

If I meet him again I’m gonna muster up the courage to ask him about Torts. I hated the Torts hire at first, liked him more as time went on and then hated his decision to being Lou at the Classic. Would be curious to hear what Gillis has to say about all that although I doubt I’d get much out of him.

I was going to say I think Burke comes off as a much more "brash" and "smug" person. But the right people in the media national and local like him so the image we get is the opposite.

I was the opposite with Torts. I loved the hire at first or convinced myself to like it. Thinking we were getting the good coach from Tampa that had the mantra "Safe is death" My turn was with the Lui starting at the classic. Then I looked back at well the "incident" and thought otherwise. I do look back now and think reasonably high of him. The fact the twins love him, and to see how much of his mistakes he owned like coaching so quickly after being fired.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I was going to say I think Burke comes off as a much more "brash" and "smug" person. But the right people in the media national and local like him so the image we get is the opposite.

I was the opposite with Torts. I loved the hire at first or convinced myself to like it. Thinking we were getting the good coach from Tampa that had the mantra "Safe is death" My turn was with the Lui starting at the classic. Then I looked back at well the "incident" and thought otherwise. I do look back now and think reasonably high of him. The fact the twins love him, and to see how much of his mistakes he owned like coaching so quickly after being fired.

Burke could be an opinionated jerk but he had some personal charisma, which went a long way to covering up his negative traits. Gillis had zero charisma and was, to a certain extent, dragged down by certain media folks who didn't like the cut of his jib. I'll never forget seeing Michael Landsberg with Steve Simmons and Arthur Bruce literally giggling as they recounted some negative stories about Gillis around the time he was fired.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

The Burke bashing (big baby,old boys club) was inevitable after I posted the clip...How do you know Burke was more disliked? (their NHL employment history, and levels of respect around the league says something completely different)..I've met Burke personally,and he was nothing like the 'brash' image he portrays to the media.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
The Burke bashing (big baby,old boys club) was inevitable after I posted the clip...How do you know Burke was more disliked? (their NHL employment history, and levels of respect around the league says something completely different)..I've met Burke personally,and he was nothing like the 'brash' image he portrays to the media.
I’ve met Gillis and Burke and i couldn’t stand Gillis. And he sucks at hockey. Had to play with the guy in a charity game unfortunately

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Is anyone thinking there's a good chance that a president is going to be hired? It certainly doesn't look likely to me, but I've got absolutely no inside info. Have any of the so called media insiders said anything on this topic in the last couple of weeks? If so, I've missed it.

My guess is that Benning has told Aquilini he doesn't need any help, and Aquilini is thinking OK, you've got this season to show me, and you're done if we don't make the playoffs.

I suppose the thread stays open as long as people keep posting in it, and there's nothing wrong with that, but at this point it seems somewhat pointless to me.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Is anyone thinking there's a good chance that a president is going to be hired? It certainly doesn't look likely to me, but I've got absolutely no inside info. Have any of the so called media insiders said anything on this topic in the last couple of weeks? If so, I've missed it.

My guess is that Benning has told Aquilini he doesn't need any help, and Aquilini is thinking OK, you've got this season to show me, and you're done if we don't make the playoffs.

I suppose the thread stays open as long as people keep posting in it, and there's nothing wrong with that, but at this point it seems somewhat pointless to me.

Rick Dhaliwal seems to think Aquilini is looking.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Burke could be an opinionated jerk but he had some personal charisma, which went a long way to covering up his negative traits. Gillis had zero charisma and was, to a certain extent, dragged down by certain media folks who didn't like the cut of his jib. I'll never forget seeing Michael Landsberg with Steve Simmons and Arthur Bruce literally giggling as they recounted some negative stories about Gillis around the time he was fired.

There's a difference between people who are on your team and people who are your opposition and potential critics. Wouldn't surprise me at all if a guy like Burke is charming with media and the like but an ass to work for, while Gillis was the complete opposite.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

Seems as he is waiting on the right candidate, if Gillis isn't a consideration then I can see Aquilini waiting on Ron Francis or Lombardi.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There's a difference between people who are on your team and people who are your opposition and potential critics. Wouldn't surprise me at all if a guy like Burke is charming with media and the like but an ass to work for, while Gillis was the complete opposite.
He wasn't charming with all the media, ask Tony Gallagher (didn't Burke call him a 'maggot'..?)

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Come on PoM. Dont play stupid, PM clearly stated by was disliked more by him and the people he (PM) worked with. This was not a general statement, so dont make it seem look like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad