Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part I (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Awesome. Finally.

An NHL executive said: “Kakko plays an advanced game for his age with a great deal of success versus men already. He has excellent two-way details and the versatility to play both center and wing. His transition to the North American pro game will be seamless given his pro-ready body, excellent hockey sense and small area skills.”

An NHL scout said: “There’s a lot of what he does that translates to the NHL. His skill, his IQ, his ability to win battles and hang onto the puck.”

TPS manager Antero Niittymaki said: “His stick handling and overall skill level is one of the best I’ve ever seen at his age. We put him on the top line early in the year, and even though he was this young, skinny guy you, could see right away he’s strong with the puck in the corners. He’s really balanced on his skates. It’s tough to knock him off the puck. Since the world juniors he was dominant in regards to [his physical play]. He can hang onto the puck as long as he wants. He’s NHL ready.”

Finland U20 coach Jussi Ahokas said: “His overall game is impressive, but in the offensive zone, his skill with the puck, how he makes plays, how he competes every day, even in practice, is what stands out to me.”

Finland U18 coach Tommi Niemela said: “He can make plays out of nowhere. His puck skills, his size, his ability to make plays in small areas is what really impresses me.”
Projection

Kakko has done nothing but impress over the past two seasons. It’s hard to pick apart his play or skill set given what he’s shown at the international and pro levels. He’s given every indication he can be a star forward in the NHL and, given what he’s done versus men already, every indication he could step in right away next season and make a seamless transition into a top-nine, if not a top-six forward role.

The question on Kakko is if he’s dynamic enough to rise to the level of a true superstar, a guy who can define a franchise. I think there is reasonable doubt there, but from what he’s done this season at one of the highest levels of hockey, it is certainly possible. I know more than one team who would take him over Hughes, citing that Kakko’s skill set and the way he plays will translate better to the NHL.

I would not bet currently on him reaching the highest echelons of production in the NHL, but I can see him in the very next tier. In that sense, I see him as a roughly comparable prospect talent-wise to Andrei Svechnikov at this time last season, except with added value given what Kakko’s proven versus men.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m really excited and happy at the same time - its unreal! *pinch my arm* yes #2 NHL draft pick in 2019 for New York Rangers! :)
But I need my beauty sleep so I`ll just imagine when Kakko scores...

Kakk, kak, kaaaaaaakkoooooo, Goooooaaaaal, goal, goal, goooal, Kakko!

And that was a spanish commentator rythm from Real M. when we actually score a goal in soccer - so quite entertaining, but what a night boys and girls! :nod:

It will accellerate our rebuild immensly, take care and don`t get too drunk, not weekend yet! ;)
And hopefully some of you post on the Dallas forum to show some support for playoffs and Zucc tomorrow night and some good vibes, until later! ))

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Only saw games at the international level, but he's NHL ready now.

To me this is a 20-20 guy right away, and then peaks as a Jamie Benn type of player without the snarl and nastiness.

I don't know about calling him a franchise winger, but a 35-35 player is not out of the question at all. I would expect that. Any better is within grasp.

We're talking about downside here. So...

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
He kind of reminds me of Auston Matthews on the wing. The release on the shot, the nose for the net and innate ability to find open space, the big lanky lefty. Not a speed burner but agile and shifty. very high IQ and hockey sense.

He's a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad