OT: The Second OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Man... So I spent the night seeing some friends & due to that had a late night bike ride home. I hate riding in the dark. I have reflective gear, bright clothes, double lights...etc anything I can to be seen. However it was a gorgeous night out & very quiet roads. Perfect ride.
As I’m approaching the final stretch I have cops zoom by me. I get to the last straight stretch & can see flashing lights & cops blocking off a park of the road. I’m able to bike past everything on a path way. Only to see on the road a bike crumpled under a car & paramedics working on a guy who isn’t moving.

To say that it’s shook me is an understatement.

Bikers please make sure you make yourself as visible as possible. Drivers please take that extra second when driving late night. This isn’t a shot at drivers, please don’t take it as that. I just want everyone to make it home safely. Cause I’m unsure if that person ever will...
Whereabouts was this? In Mt. Pleasant we have established bike routes like Ontario and 10th that are free of fast moving traffic, but some areas you might be forced to ride on arterial.

Really a big believer in bike infrastructure.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Whereabouts was this? In Mt. Pleasant we have established bike routes like Ontario and 10th that are free of fast moving traffic, but some areas you might be forced to ride on arterial.

I would believe in bike infrastructure more if it was actually done correctly. For instance near me there’s a bike lane and they decide to block the bike lane off with his giant planters and the plants stick up taller than I am when I’m on my bike. So when I come to an intersection cars can’t see me and there’s a good chance if I’m not paying attention because the car can’t see me it could hit me whose bright idea was that?

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I would believe in bike infrastructure more if it was actually done correctly. For instance near me there’s a bike lane and they decide to block the bike lane off with his giant planters and the plants stick up taller than I am when I’m on my bike. So when I come to an intersection cars can’t see me and there’s a good chance if I’m not paying attention because the car can’t see me it could hit me whose bright idea was that?
Not exactly sure what hitch bike lane you are referring to, or which intersection, but Hornby for example has planters that provide a barrier between traffic and bikes. People are more likely to use the bike lane when there are safety measures in place.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC

Burnaby/Coquitlam area.

They’re actually improving the infrastructure around Lougheed Hwy quite bit (still a lot of ways to go) but this is a pretty quiet area for 11 at night.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Burnaby/Coquitlam area.

They’re actually improving the infrastructure around Lougheed Hwy quite bit (still a lot of ways to go) but this is a pretty quiet area for 11 at night.

Is this around the Sperling/Lake City way area? There's a bit there that's super dark and dangerous (even for cars).

Stay safe out there man

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I assume this has to do with COVID and hastily constructing outdoor spaces for dining/socializing?

I agree that we need to jump into building cycling infrastructure with both feet if we're going to do it at all. Expecting bike traffic to use the same space as motor vehicles simply doesn't work. It results in frustrated drivers going 15km/hr behind maliciously compliant cyclists telling them they have the same right to use the lane as a car. I never feel safe in traffic on my bike and tend to use side streets.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I assume this has to do with COVID and hastily constructing outdoor spaces for dining/socializing?

I agree that we need to jump into building cycling infrastructure with both feet if we're going to do it at all. Expecting bike traffic to use the same space as motor vehicles simply doesn't work. It results in frustrated drivers going 15km/hr behind maliciously compliant cyclists telling them they have the same right to use the lane as a car. I never feel safe in traffic on my bike and tend to use side streets.

i honestly don’t know why, it was already a bike lane and trail in North Vancouver, just added the barrier which I am not against in general, but the fact it now hides cyclist, and the took a lane of traffic just for this barrier, as the bike lane was already there. I just don’t get it.

I agree they should have the bike lanes in their own area. I do also think we need to educate cyclist more. I am a cyclist who does think maybe having a cyclist license for us wouldn’t be bad.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I feel pretty safe in situations where I can move at roughly the rate of traffic - often safer than on many of the out-of-the-way routes - but for the most part I'll use a combination of roads to avoid areas that I know to be serious hazards.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
i honestly don’t know why, it was already a bike lane and trail in North Vancouver, just added the barrier which I am not against in general, but the fact it now hides cyclist, and the took a lane of traffic just for this barrier, as the bike lane was already there. I just don’t get it.

I agree they should have the bike lanes in their own area. I do also think we need to educate cyclist more. I am a cyclist who does think maybe having a cyclist license for us wouldn’t be bad.
Have cyclists ride only in Richmond.:sarcasm:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Bike lanes can also be used by people with micro-mobility devices, like e-scooters. You can get around the city faster than buses, and when you are in the city centre, you move around quicker than cars. Properly built, traffic separated bike lanes are an extremely cheap form of rapid transit.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I feel pretty safe in situations where I can move at roughly the rate of traffic - often safer than on many of the out-of-the-way routes - but for the most part I'll use a combination of roads to avoid areas that I know to be serious hazards.
I agree. What I mean is when a cyclist takes up a whole lane of, say, Commercial Drive, then rides at a moderate pace. Yes, you're allowed to do it, and drivers are obliged to treat you as they would another car, but it just obviously makes no sense as a practice. I'll usually just stick as close as I can to the side of the lane and expect cars in that lane to pass me within it if they can do so safely, although I don't feel particularly secure riding this way. Like you, I tend to stay away from busy roads when I can.

Reactions: m9

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Is this around the Sperling/Lake City way area? There's a bit there that's super dark and dangerous (even for cars).

Stay safe out there man
Appreciate it :)

A little bit past there near the mall. You’re right though, that area is a hellhole. Biking by Lake City Way going West is sketchy to say the least

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Watched Fear Street: 1994 with pretty much no expectations - I was extremely pleasantly surprised. That was damn good, and I can’t wait for the next instalment to drop on July 9th.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Speaking of the Canadiens...at least I was.

Let's look at the Canadians at Wimbledon. Holy Crappers.

FAA and Shapo.

Two massive talents on the rise.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I know a lot of people who got hit by cars while biking, while following (they claim) all the rules of the road. After a close call I quit biking to work even though I loved it a lot more than driving. Too many careless people on the road overly attached to their phones.

Bike lanes are wonderful but they're an all or nothing proposition. It isn't that helpful to have a scattering of bike lanes that cut in and out of roadways, the level of danger is still high. They should be an essential part of all future city planning.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I agree. What I mean is when a cyclist takes up a whole lane of, say, Commercial Drive, then rides at a moderate pace. Yes, you're allowed to do it, and drivers are obliged to treat you as they would another car, but it just obviously makes no sense as a practice. I'll usually just stick as close as I can to the side of the lane and expect cars in that lane to pass me within it if they can do so safely, although I don't feel particularly secure riding this way. Like you, I tend to stay away from busy roads when I can.

The problem here is that you're putting your life in the hands and judgement of the drivers.

People are really shit at driving: They make rash decisions because, for whatever reason, humans become agitated and rushed super easily the second they get in a car. They often become disconnected from the reality and consequence of what they are doing - probably because if that wasn't the case, driving would be overwhelmingly terrifying. They tend to have a poor sense of spacial awareness as it relates to their vehicle, as indicated by the gouged up rims, scraped doors and bumpers on so many cars, as well as the paint left on almost every surface that is adjacent an area where cars have to make tight maneuvers. They are distracted by their lives, by the things going on around them, by their stereo, by their phones, by their passengers. Most dangerous of all, they are almost always way overconfident in their competency as a driver.

I think taking the lane kind of sucks, and I typically avoid doing so, but I'm sure as hell not going to intentionally squeeze over and allow my safety to rely on someone seeing me/not hitting me/not hitting the car in the next lane and careening into me/not turning right over top of me/not opening their door into me.

Furthermore, if someone is driving on Commercial Drive as a thoroughfare rather than just looking for a parking spot, or turning off to the side-street on which they live, they've messed up long before they got stuck behind a cyclist for a couple blocks. Cyclists doing this along the stretch of 12th from Main-Cambie is the one that always gets me, though. Like, the laws of physics don't care if the laws of the land are in your favour.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
On the bike talks

Who is using or thinking of using a EUC?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
On the bike talks

Who is using or thinking of using a EUC?

Those things remind me of the two months back in whatever year that was when Razor Scooters were somehow deemed to be a way to commute, and you saw dudes gleefully scooting their way to their downtown offices on a children's toy until society regained it's bearings and made them feel too self-conscious to keep doing it.

I see this one dude on one of those very often during my commute, and he's got the whole getup; rain gear for himself and the wheelything, conspicuous gopro, maybe goggles? and he always looks like he's having a blast.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Those things remind me of the two months back in whatever year that was when Razor Scooters were somehow deemed to be a way to commute, and you saw dudes gleefully scooting their way to their downtown offices on a children's toy until society regained it's bearings and made them feel too self-conscious to keep doing it.

I see this one dude on one of those very often during my commute, and he's got the whole getup; rain gear for himself and the wheelything, conspicuous gopro, maybe goggles? and he always looks like he's having a blast.

Heard good reviews about them. Just concerned about safety. Those things are fast

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Heard good reviews about them. Just concerned about safety. Those things are fast

That's one of my big concerns with all of these e-things. I see so many people on E-Bikes who definitely don't have the bike handling ability to not completely wreck themselves if something goes pear-shaped at whatever warp factor they were doing when they just passed me.

It was one thing when it was just those bulbous e-scooter vespa things, as they can't really get out of their own way, but some of these newer e-bikes and scooters and whatever else are so fast.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
That's one of my big concerns with all of these e-things. I see so many people on E-Bikes who definitely don't have the bike handling ability to not completely wreck themselves if something goes pear-shaped at whatever warp factor they were doing when they just passed me.

It was one thing when it was just those bulbous e-scooter vespa things, as they can't really get out of their own way, but some of these newer e-bikes and scooters and whatever else are so fast.

You will see more and more people using them and it used to be that bike lanes were seen as a waste, but with the rise of these things it's been put to great use.

EUC seems to be another level. Ebikes and escooters, I don't think they are any less difficult or dangerous than road bikes

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You will see more and more people using them and it used to be that bike lanes were seen as a waste, but with the rise of these things it's been put to great use.

EUC seems to be another level. Ebikes and escooters, I don't think they are any less difficult or dangerous than road bikes

The thing with road bikes is that you typically aren't going fast-fast until you've spent some amount of time on there. I've a lot of folks doing basically motorbike speeds on sketchy e-bike setups that aren't really built for it, with a rider who looks like they're on a bike for their first time in 15 years.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The thing with road bikes is that you typically aren't going fast-fast until you've spent some amount of time on there. I've a lot of folks doing basically motorbike speeds on sketchy e-bike setups that aren't really built for it, with a rider who looks like they're on a bike for their first time in 15 years.

Good point. That makes sense. Thought these things were mostly taking from regular riders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad