The Score: NHL To Cancel Season within the next 48 hours if no deal reached

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
nomorekids said:
For those saying they wouldn't watch "replacement players" because they're too low-level...have you even seen an ECHL or AHL game? The action is actually more entertaining and wide open. You don't have the Markus Naslunds, but it's actually a faster paced game due to the relative lack of skill by defensemen. Much less clutch and grab. It actually resembles the oft-heralded "80s hockey" that everyone misses so much. I'd watch it...happily.

I'm probably going to watch the scabs, I've only seen one AHL game this year and after watching NCAA hockey the AHL game seemed like a blur, intersting point though is that the NHL implemented a lot of changes in the AHL, perhaps they were onto something. anyway what 'replacements' are we even looking at? I doubt that any high level prospect will lace em up for NHL2, its going to be a low level rejects skating in NHL jerseys, its just not going to be the same experiance.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I guess the only positive sign that an optimist can pull out of this comment is:

"Things always look the darkest before dawn.."

Meaning, things look most grim before a deal is struck. You can't get anymore grim than this. :lol

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
rekrul said:
I'm probably going to watch the scabs, I've only seen one AHL game this year and after watching NCAA hockey the AHL game seemed like a blur, intersting point though is that the NHL implemented a lot of changes in the AHL, perhaps they were onto something. anyway what 'replacements' are we even looking at? I doubt that any high level prospect will lace em up for NHL2, its going to be a low level rejects skating in NHL jerseys, its just not going to be the same experiance.

You might see a faster turnaround on prospects, for a while. For example...if this had happened last year...and we then had a draft...you'd see Ovechkin...Malkin, obvious guys like that...jumping right in...but then also guys who might have played a season in juniors going right in as well..Wolski, Chipchura, Radulov. The draft could then replenish the TALENT...and you have to assume that plenty of players WOULD play in a new league..say...most that are making less than a million.

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
nomorekids said:
For those saying they wouldn't watch "replacement players" because they're too low-level...have you even seen an ECHL or AHL game? The action is actually more entertaining and wide open. You don't have the Markus Naslunds, but it's actually a faster paced game due to the relative lack of skill by defensemen. Much less clutch and grab. It actually resembles the oft-heralded "80s hockey" that everyone misses so much. I'd watch it...happily.

And, the teams contain a lot of the young up and comers. I would mind seeing Spezza face off against Staal ....

Flyboy34

Registered Something
Jul 7, 2003
33,000 FT
417 TO MTL said:
I think they should mirror what the Habs did to close the old forum, torch passing, that way Gary passes the torch to Bob, and Bob drops it...signalling the end of the NHL...

My new signature...

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
no way a ovechekin, crosby or any high level propect suits up, the first hint that they would a union bully, IE older vet, would get ahold of them and tell them about the cheap shots they can expect or how the lockerroom will make them outcasts. the same thing happened in baseball.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
rekrul said:
no way a ovechekin, crosby or any high level propect suits up, the first hint that they would a union bully, IE older vet, would get ahold of them and tell them about the cheap shots they can expect or how the lockerroom will make them outcasts. the same thing happened in baseball.

i'm not talking about the already-drafteds. I'm talking about those that will be drafted..after an impasse is declared and the league resumes. Those "bullies" won't be able to do anything..because if they're playing, it means they crossed themselves. There will be no more "holding out for the right deal for the NHLPA," because this will..in essence...break the union. Anyone that wants to play...can..anyone that doesn't....sorry you feel that way.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Well I hope your right however from how things are going I'm expecting the NHL players to be as petty as the MLB players were, belive me they will these kids as taking food off their table and they will do their very best to control the situation probably by player agents and such. Belive me the world class hockey players are a very tight group, even on the outside of a lockout they can still influance those young kids, I'm betting no one at least next year goes beyond teh CHL or the AHL, even if they are a 18year old Crosby.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
nomorekids said:

Brilliant point, and I totally agree. It's clear from the modern NHL that if you have a league with all the best players in the world, with 30 teams, the skill of the defensemen is so good that it overwhelms offense. Throw in the huge goalie pads, the obstruction, and the devotion to defense and the trap among coaches, and what you have is an offensive nightmare.

Even the best defensemen used to get undressed one-on-one all the time. Now it very rarely happens.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
nomorekids said:

That's what I've been saying for months: The same people who are the first to sing the praises of the ECHL and World Juniors are the same ones *****ing and moaning about the assumed lack of quality play if the scabs come in. It's just baseless prattle from a bunch of anti-ownership sheep.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
The canadian media is spinning this statement out of control

Now they are saying for sure that the season is cancelled within 48 hours.

Pure.... pure bullshiat

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
futurcorerock said:

Pure.... pure bullshiat

If i'm not mistaken, in 1994, there were similar reports before they reached a deal

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
futurcorerock said:

Pure.... pure bullshiat

probably sportsnet. Ive lost so much respect for there "false" inside statements.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York

The media, as we speak, knows about as much of what's going on in that meeting as we do. The longer this meeting goes on (and we are almost at 5 hours), the more I am starting to believe that this leak to the media was designed to put more pressure on Goodenow to get a deal done.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
futurcorerock said:

Pure.... pure bullshiat

No kidding, the quote was 'If no deal reached in next 48 hours the season will be cancelled.'

Well duh :dunce: Way to go media, why don't you tell us something a little more goddamn obvious. This meeting is about to hit the 5 hour mark! Go Bettman and Goodenow. I hate you so badly, but make a deal you dinks.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
I agree. I just went to a couple of sites and they are acting like the decision to cancel the season was already made and there just waiting for the "official" announcement. If you read the original quote, it said "if a deal isn't reached". They all seemed to forget that part in the headlines.

They're a bunch of doomsdayers.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Thats because it's a yellow press.

Any news story bashing Prez Bush stateside is overplayed by the sensationalist media

Sadly, NHL is the casualty of this. I hope and pray they strike a deal so the media, and all the naysayers will shut up

Last edited:

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
ESPN Sports Center is still sticking by their one source story about the season being canceled. ALL this as the talks are still on going. Berry Moron I mean Melrose is caving also. :shakehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Scugs said:
Chapter 2:

Bob: Im on fire, someone help! :madfire:

Bob: Someone? :madfire:

Bob: Anyone?!!? :madfire:

Bob: Help, help sparks are falling on my hair!

Gary: Wear this hat to protect your hair.

Bob: You can't trick me, that isn't a hat its a cap.

Gary: Uhhh, yeah, whatever :dunno: ... It'll stop you head getting burnt.

Bob: No caps, Gary. I won't wear a cap! You can't make me!

Gary: But your head won't burn.

Bob: Ouch ouch, NO CAP, Ouch.

Gary: Cap!

Bob: No Cap!

.......................... :madfire:

Last edited:

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
me2 said:
Bob: Help, help sparks are falling on my hair!

Gary: Wear this cap to protect your hair.

Bob: No cap, I won't wear a cap! You can't make me!

Gary: But your head won't burn.

Bob: Ouch ouch, NO CAP, Ouch.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events