The Score: NHL To Cancel Season within the next 48 hours if no deal reached

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Ej Hradek from ESPN The Magazine, Hockey Writer, in New York, on the phone stating that NHL will cancel the season within the next 48 hours.

Ej says he has talked to an owner that suggests the season is cancelled within 48 hours if no deal is reached.

I'm just reporting what I see and hear, so don't kill me. :dunno:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
that's kind of what we already knew more or less...that this was the last little bit of negotiation time left before there wasn't enough time to start a season

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Scugs said:
Ej Hradek from ESPN The Magazine, Hockey Writer, in New York, on the phone stating that NHL will cancel the season within the next 48 hours.

Ej says he has talked to an owner that suggests the season is cancelled within 48 hours if no deal is reached.

Goodenow wants a deadline.Give it to him.This weekend.**** or get off the pot

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Scugs said:

Was this in the context of the meeting already being over, or IF the meeting doesn't lead to a settlement?

X-SHARKIE

Scugs said:

This is not saying the NHL will do it, and the season has a chance if there is good talks today and tomorow?

But it seems unlikely.

Thinks to EJ Hradek for giving us what we've all already figured out lol.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Scugs said:

That headline is misleading, they will cancel the season if no deal is reached...

Which means that the last offer the NHL put forth, is the last one, they only thing left to do now, is for the players to accept the deal, or tweak it enough in their favor, without turning the owners off...

Like I said, Goodenow has been searching for a drop dead date (deadlline hunting) since this began, I guess he's received news that it's now or never with the last offer, hence the reason why he invited Gary back to the table...

The clues as to what is happening are there people...

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
It was asked if he knew if the meetings have begun or ended, he said he didnt know at all. So I truly hope its either the end or the beginning soon... I can't stand it anymore.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
about time-now i hope the owners proceed with whatever actions it takes to be able to re-open for business this fall with the best players that are willing to play for several thousands of dollars per yr. and i really hope to see these millionaire cry-baby prima donnas walking a picket line. each franchise should field the best team they can with the best players are available. if takes the difficult path of an impase to make this happen so be it-just because it's difficult does'nt mean it can't be done

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Well duh....this isn't anything that we didn't know already. This is the pivotal week.

No deal, and it is done.

This isn't a newsflash.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
The report is not misleading, I saw the same broadcast. This is backroom info and has no connection with whether they have success in the meeting today. I think it just just goes to show that the owners are not expecting much from the guild (coined by Iconoclast) today. He also said that he was not aware of whether the meeting is underway yet but a separate report does indicate that it is a noon EST start. Like I said, this is behind the scenes info.

chiavsfan

But remember, after the cancellation (if and when) takes place...then we all get to tune in to the wonderful world of "As the Spin Turns"

A wonderful soap opera based on the spin of all involved in the NHL Labor Negotiations. This is NOT a love story, and is not suitable for children under 13.

Contains harsh languange, tons of lies, brief nudity, mild violence.

Stars: Bill Daly, Ted Saskin, Garry Bettman, Bob Goodenow, and Trevor Linden

Guest Stars:
Several "Un-named" sources

MmmBacon

Dec 2, 2004
This actually is somewhat important, IMO. Bettman has said before than virtually all meaningful negotiations happen in the final 48 hours of a deal.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Like 417 said, this was probably said to see what Goodenow can conjure up.. This so far is the most pressure on the NHLPA to date.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Maybe a title change would be nice, "NHL to cancel season if no deal is reached in 48 hours".

It's about time though, even from the players side, we can't have this go on forever, I want closure on what's happening.

By the way, to lal who are saying bring in replacements and field the best team possible, you're contradicting yourselves. We had the best players possible under the old system, now you're asking for sub-par play, at lower cost to billionaires, at the same cost to you.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
snakepliskin said:
about time-now i hope the owners proceed with whatever actions it takes to be able to re-open for business this fall with the best players that are willing to play for several thousands of dollars per yr. and i really hope to see these millionaire cry-baby prima donnas walking a picket line. each franchise should field the best team they can with the best players are available. if takes the difficult path of an impase to make this happen so be it-just because it's difficult does'nt mean it can't be done

OOOO Yes thousands of dollars a year. Then we can go back to the early 1900's where the owners can screw over the players time and time again and laugh and laugh and laugh cause we hate it when people succeed at making more money than us just cause theyre playing a game.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
GregStack said:
Maybe a title change would be nice, "NHL to cancel season if no deal is reached in 48 hours".

It's about time though, even from the players side, we can't have this go on forever, I want closure on what's happening.

By the way, to lal who are saying bring in replacements and field the best team possible, you're contradicting yourselves. We had the best players possible under the old system, now you're asking for sub-par play, at lower cost to billionaires, at the same cost to you.

Bohonos to Kerr.....HE SCORES!!!! :lol

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
This lockout was somewhat a good thing for me in some ways. Im a much bigger baseball fan now, and I cannot wait for the season to start up, especially with the new "SkyDome" for the Blue Jays.

I follow other sports alot more closely now. Basketball still not cool in my books :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad