The Score: NHL To Cancel Season within the next 48 hours if no deal reached

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
They've had enough time to negotiate already. I hope they keep talking though, if the season is cancelled. Get something settled so that next year will be a full season.

No one wants to be talking about this stuff a year from now.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Chili said:
They've had enough time to negotiate already. I hope they keep talking though, if the season is cancelled. Get something settled so that next year will be a full season.

No one wants to be talking about this stuff a year from now.

that's the thing that is troublesome- if they don't agree to a deal now, i see both sides retreating to their corners and we'll see a repeat of this again in september. so foolish.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
OOOO Yes thousands of dollars a year. Then we can go back to the early 1900's where the owners can screw over the players time and time again and laugh and laugh and laugh cause we hate it when people succeed at making more money than us just cause theyre playing a game.

It's Bob Goodenow's job to ensure that dosen't happen, if the players are worried about the NHL going back to when they screwed them over in the 90's again, then they need to rethink who the leader of their union is

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
GregStack said:
Maybe a title change would be nice, "NHL to cancel season if no deal is reached in 48 hours".

It's about time though, even from the players side, we can't have this go on forever, I want closure on what's happening.

By the way, to lal who are saying bring in replacements and field the best team possible, you're contradicting yourselves. We had the best players possible under the old system, now you're asking for sub-par play, at lower cost to billionaires, at the same cost to you.
but the old system was a failure-and you do not know if it is going to be at the same cost-IMHO there will be 750 job openings for players in october and the members of the union have the right and the choice to compete for 1 of them or they might can walk a picket line and whine that the new system is unfair -or they can just go home and start a different life-it is there right -just as it is the owners right not to continue to operate under a system that loses money hand over fist year after year-also it is MY RIGHT to attend an nhl game that features less than what we are accustomed to in talent level.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
neelynugs said:
that's the thing that is troublesome- if they don't agree to a deal now, i see both sides retreating to their corners and we'll see a repeat of this again in september. so foolish.

Yeah, more of Bob Goodenow's 'wait til they cave' strategy. Irregardless of your positions, keep talking. Even Ted Saskin admitted last night, that's the only way they are going to move this process forward.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Scugs said:
This lockout was somewhat a good thing for me in some ways. Im a much bigger baseball fan now, and I cannot wait for the season to start up, especially with the new "SkyDome" for the Blue Jays.

I follow other sports alot more closely now. Basketball still not cool in my books :joker:

yep its all about baseball and my fantasy team, bring the gap together with sparce college hockey game and suddenly the english premireship games look ok. basketball=timeouts and freethrows.. YUK! :thumbd:

in the states if you have dish or digitcal cable you can watch literaly about a dozen games a night, plus I have that crummy NBA network, :p: sucks for us .

Thanks NHL and NHLPA!!!

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
And yet you have an NHLPA member wearing an NHL jersey in your avatar.
it's the only player I respect and I have this avatar for a long time and im too lazy to make another one ... maybe later !

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
chiavsfan said:
But remember, after the cancellation (if and when) takes place...then we all get to tune in to the wonderful world of "As the Spin Turns"

A wonderful soap opera based on the spin of all involved in the NHL Labor Negotiations. This is NOT a love story, and is not suitable for children under 13.

Contains harsh languange, tons of lies, brief nudity, mild violence.

Stars: Bill Daly, Ted Saskin, Garry Bettman, Bob Goodenow, and Trevor Linden

Guest Stars:
Several "Un-named" sources

*tivos this for later*

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
well it's been an hour and a half and the meeting is evidently still going on--thats about an hour and 20 min longer than i expected it to last-

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
snakepliskin said:
but the old system was a failure-and you do not know if it is going to be at the same cost-IMHO there will be 750 job openings for players in october and the members of the union have the right and the choice to compete for 1 of them or they might can walk a picket line and whine that the new system is unfair -or they can just go home and start a different life-it is there right -just as it is the owners right not to continue to operate under a system that loses money hand over fist year after year-also it is MY RIGHT to attend an nhl game that features less than what we are accustomed to in talent level.

Please tell me you're not serious. Do you believe for a second that the Toronto Maple Leafs (scab edition) will cost less than the current edition? I guarantee you that the 2006 season will cost the exact same for Leafs fans, the 2007 season we'll have another increase, and it will continue...Just like it has for the past 10 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never claim that I'm not going to watch the new look Leafs if it comes to that. I know I will. I know I'll come on here, and argue with you that Joe Journeyman who plays top line centre for these new Leafs is better than whoever plays for your team. The point is that while the owners are being screwed by the players, we're getting screwed by the owners. Heck, when the owners were the ones screwing the players, we were getting screwed by the owners too.

Either way, we lose.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
Bring on the AHL Center Ice package......

Actually..I think I'd pay for that even if there was an NHL Season..

Would love to watch the Monarchs for the rest of the season... :)

HckyFght*

GregStack said:
Maybe a title change would be nice, "NHL to cancel season if no deal is reached in 48 hours".

It's about time though, even from the players side, we can't have this go on forever, I want closure on what's happening.

By the way, to lal who are saying bring in replacements and field the best team possible, you're contradicting yourselves. We had the best players possible under the old system, now you're asking for sub-par play, at lower cost to billionaires, at the same cost to you.

I'd rather watch the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th best players in the world play with some enthusiasm for half the money, than wait another day for this bunch of going thru the motions just for the pacheck idiots to show up and "entertain" me.
Bring on the Scabs!
-HckyFght!

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
HckyFght said:
I'd rather watch the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th best players in the world play with some enthusiasm for half the money, than wait another day for this bunch of going thru the motions just for the pacheck idiots to show up and "entertain" me.
Bring on the Scabs!
-HckyFght!

i'm down with that...whoever wears the jersey is who i root for

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
GregStack said:
Please tell me you're not serious. Do you believe for a second that the Toronto Maple Leafs (scab edition) will cost less than the current edition? I guarantee you that the 2006 season will cost the exact same for Leafs fans, the 2007 season we'll have another increase, and it will continue...Just like it has for the past 10 seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never claim that I'm not going to watch the new look Leafs if it comes to that. I know I will. I know I'll come on here, and argue with you that Joe Journeyman who plays top line centre for these new Leafs is better than whoever plays for your team. The point is that while the owners are being screwed by the players, we're getting screwed by the owners. Heck, when the owners were the ones screwing the players, we were getting screwed by the owners too.

Either way, we lose.
That's ridiculous. There's no way ticket prices will be the same for replacement players.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
But, you're not too lazy to come on here and spew misguided venom at every other player. Interesting.
you were right I should not wear any avatar with NHL player !
And I still think that the players are stupid to refuse 1 billion in salary !

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
HckyFght said:
Bring on the Scabs!
-HckyFght!

Like I said, I don't think lower ticket prices will happen.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
misterjaggers said:
That's ridiculous. There's no way ticket prices will be the same for replacement players.
prices will be lower, it's called trickle down economics, it's just that we are the final stop stop for the trickle

Vic Rattlehead*

GregStack said:
It will when no one buys tickets to watch crap.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
snakepliskin said:
well it's been an hour and a half and the meeting is evidently still going on--thats about an hour and 20 min longer than i expected it to last-

Yeah, Gary and Bob must be trying to figure out a way of making a nice ceremony to cancel the season, this could take hours! :shakehead

I think they should mirror what the Habs did to close the old forum, torch passing, that way Gary passes the torch to Bob, and Bob drops it...signalling the end of the NHL...

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
HckyFght said:
Bring on the Scabs!
-HckyFght!

c'mon I'm all for the NHL to return with something but for the most part players loaf on all levels, and just who is going to play? I like the NCAA product but its no where near to what the NHL is, hardly even the AHL. don't tell me your not going to miss the world class skill and speed you could have seen in the former NHL. Watch some lower level ECHL game, thats about what you get with the scabs, if its ECHL prices and NHL jerseys fine, but part of me is still going to miss the old players big time.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
GregStack said:

Ticket prices are base on supply and demand, so if there isn't a lot interest for the product, the owners will have to reduce ticket prices. Getting fans into the building is important, because they will still purchase food, beverages, etc.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
rekrul said:
c'mon I'm all for the NHL to return with something but for the most part players loaf on all levels, and just who is going to play? I like the NCAA product but its no where near to what the NHL is, hardly even the AHL. don't tell me your not going to miss the world class skill and speed you could have seen in the former NHL. Wach some lower level ECHL game, thats about what you get with the scabs, if its ECHL prices and NHL jerseys, fine but part of me is still going to miss the old system big time.

have you watched the NHL over the last few years?

Ever since the trap, and Giagantic goaltender equipment, they havent been playing world class hockey.

80's and early 90's. A 2-1 game featured many scoring chances, hard hitting, and great play. A 2-1 game in the late 90's early 00's features no hitting, Clogged up nutreul zone trapping, and goaltenders who barely move to make a save. All while watching a collective total of 40 shots on goal.

if thats world class hockey, then that may truly represent why exactly nobody really cares that the NHL is on strike.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
GregStack said:

If they are scabs that you are paying less money to then they will have to lower ticket prices.

The only problem is if they have to use their "final offer" as the CBA since it has a salary floor in it they may not be able to lower prices and still make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->