The Score: Chara has permanently torn PCL.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Don Joy!

I tore my PCL and ACL playing hockey. That PCL tear likely happened because his knee got pushed straight back. Once you have your leg strengthened, get yourself a brace designed to protect against PCL tears and you are good to go. Your knee may never be the same, but with the brace on it isn't weak. In fact my braced knee feels better than my non braced knee in so much as it is secure and I know it won't get re-injured. I am certainly no NHLer but I cannot feel any difference playing with the brace, you get used to it very quickly.

PricePkPatch*

Of course he can. Anyone can be put on the LTIR for cap relief.

But Chara played with it for the past 5 months so I don't see why he wouldn't play with it next year.

Are you really allowed to put any player you want on the LTIR? Dont they have to.be unable to play?

'Cause why didnt the Habs put Gomez on there?

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Are you really allowed to put any player you want on the LTIR? Dont they have to.be unable to play?

'Cause why didnt the Habs put Gomez on there?

I think they can put any injured player on LTIR, I also think they can use LTIR on any player who has has healed but is unable to play because of their past injury and any player who's career is cut short by injury. But as far as just putting someone on LTIR, I don't think it is accurate to say that anyone can be put on LTIR.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Too bad. Looks like Chara is done.

Boston's window is closing unless the can pull off a miracle in the off season.

From the article in the OP:

Chara added that he will not need surgery, and that the knee has stabilized and healed to the point where he feels he can return to peak form next season.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
From the article in the OP:

Chara added that he will not need surgery, and that the knee has stabilized and healed to the point where he feels he can return to peak form next season.
Peak, dirty, filthy form.

Good for him.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
he's still playing lol hes been playing with it. its completely stabilized. now if it was the acl thats completely different

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What a trooper for actually playing through the injury.

This is the train of thought that i take issue with. If Chara had not been a trooper and received the medical care and attention he needed, would this have healed fully? Maybe not in this particular instance, but certainly in other instances, players are troopers and work through the pain only to find they had pretty serious ailments (Patrice Bergeron playing with a hole in his lung). T

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Also, saying "permanently torn" is kind of a misnomer, as any ligament that is fully torn will always be permanently torn.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
This is the train of thought that i take issue with. If Chara had not been a trooper and received the medical care and attention he needed, would this have healed fully? Maybe not in this particular instance, but certainly in other instances, players are troopers and work through the pain only to find they had pretty serious ailments (Patrice Bergeron playing with a hole in his lung). T

It depends on information we don't have. If he partially tore it, and then continued to play on it until it progressed to become fully torn, then yes the decision to play on it would be detrimental to his long term health. On the other hand, if it was fully torn in one single incident, then there was never any way to heal it to begin with and continuing to play on it basically becomes his choice, or dependent on the threshold of pain he is willing to put up with.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Claiming Chara is "done" is a bit disingenuous. He may no longer be the sheer force he once was, but if he adjusts his game to a less mobile, stay-a-home model and I think he'll be just fine. Boston's biggest concern is finding the proper complimentary players so they don't have to rely on Chara so much.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Ligament replacement technology has come a long way, too. With the proper surgery, rehabilitation and training, all of which Chara is sure to get, I wouldn't doubt that with some time he would be able to come back to nearly the same efficacy.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I tore my PCL and still play. Never needed surgery but took 4 months of rehab.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Not really a big deal as its being made. I tore mine when i was 12, im 29 now and have only re-aggervated it once or twice and keep in mind. The whole time i played,soccer,hockey,baseball,and did mma so i wouldnt be worried about Big-z.
It more just makes noise when you move than anything else.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not really a big deal as its being made. I tore mine when i was 12, im 29 now and have only re-aggervated it once or twice and keep in mind. The whole time i played,soccer,hockey,baseball,and did mma so i wouldnt be worried about Big-z.
It more just makes noise when you move than anything else.

How bad does it hurt when you walk?

Just wondering cause he was playing 20-30 minutes a game, 3 nights a week, plus 60-90 minute practices.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
So now everyone will just skate on his weak side and take advantage knowing where he'll be less prone to playing to his size and reach?

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
He really should get this repaired. Although out of the 4-12 month rehab time, he will most likely be leaning towards the longer end of the spectrum. He's an idiot for playing on it. Everyone know ligaments take longer to heal the longer you wait to get them repaired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad