The Score: Chara has permanently torn PCL.

Aceonfire*

Too bad. Looks like Chara is done.

Boston's window is closing unless the can pull off a miracle in the off season.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Too bad. Looks like Chara is done.

Boston's window is closing unless the can pull off a miracle in the off season.

Article says he's returning to close to full form next season so maybe not.

Porbably will have to adjust a bit by playing closer to 20min and maybe only 60-70 games.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Same here.

Why can't it be repaired?

(Also, I've heard of MCL and ACL....where's the PCL? :laugh:)

ski-knee-injury-acl-mcl-lcl-pcl.jpg

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think Chara was great because he was mobile, if this hurts his mobility he won't be nearly half the force he was in his strong-hockey-playing days.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Odd thing for an NHLer to tear. Tearing your PCL is known as "the dashboard injury" because the majority of the time it gets torn its from someone getting into a car crash and having their shin hit the dashboard with a lot of force.

I tore mine that way about 7 years ago and never had it repaired. It's not something that's relied on too heavily.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe he can get a Pronger Deal and get into the Hall of Fame and be part of the DoPS by next week.

Complete different scenarios.

Chara isn't on the Orr/Gretzky/Lemieux/Howe level so they won't give his 3 year eligibly period, Pronger simply hasn't played in 3 seasons and would retire but doesn't want to **** the Flyers.

Charas deal isn't 35 plus as far as I know.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Same here.

Why can't it be repaired?

(Also, I've heard of MCL and ACL....where's the PCL? :laugh:)

MCL is front of knee, acl is inner side of knee. (Knee caving inwards can tear either)

Pcl is back of knee (tears if knee bends back)

LCL is outside of knee. 4 ligaments. Anterior(front) posterior(back) medial(inner) lateral(outer)

Pcl and LCL are also the smaller of the 4 because the knee rarely needs to flex out or back

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Odd thing for an NHLer to tear. Tearing your PCL is known as "the dashboard injury" because the majority of the time it gets torn its from someone getting into a car crash and having their shin hit the dashboard with a lot of force.

I tore mine that way about 7 years ago and never had it repaired. It's not something that's relied on too heavily.

If you think about it, Chara has probably had a lot of stuff slam into his shins at high speed.

MCL is front of knee, acl is inner side of knee. (Knee caving inwards can tear either)
Got your ACL and MCL transposed, there.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Running into the boards at speed would have this effect too though wouldn't it?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It's not really a muscle that does much. It's like tearing that flap of skin between your top gums and your upper lip. :sarcasm:

PricePkPatch*

So... I suppose Chara will either retire or keep playing? He cannot be put on the LTIT, right?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
So... I suppose Chara will either retire or keep playing? He cannot be put on the LTIT, right?

Of course he can. Anyone can be put on the LTIR for cap relief.

But Chara played with it for the past 5 months so I don't see why he wouldn't play with it next year.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
"Permanently torn" is kind of a dumb term, if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every full tear of the ACL/PCL is permanent in that it doesn't just heal itself together. Even with surgery, they don't patch it up, they use a different tendon as a replacement-ACL/PCL.

I'm a bit surprised about him not wanting to get surgery, though. I mean, playing through full tears of the ACL especially is far from a miracle, it just takes the other ligaments to be alright and a well-trained set of muscles around to stabilize the knee sufficiently, but that's easier done for the ACL than the PCL, as far as I know. Given the long offseason and the usual recovery time, I'm not sure why he doesn't prefer to have the surgery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->