The Score: Chara has permanently torn PCL.

torlev*

MCL is front of knee, acl is inner side of knee. (Knee caving inwards can tear either)

Pcl is back of knee (tears if knee bends back)

LCL is outside of knee. 4 ligaments. Anterior(front) posterior(back) medial(inner) lateral(outer)

Pcl and LCL are also the smaller of the 4 because the knee rarely needs to flex out or back

Its not just ACL and MCL you mixed up. Unless I'm misunderstanding you guys.

Go to your knee cap, put your fingers down. The ligament just below the knee cap, leading to the front of your shin, is your PCL. Edit, that might be the patellar tendon. Pcl is behind that?

The MCL is on the inside of your knees. I.e. if you were yo knock your knees together, you would be banging your MCLs.

Your ACL goes down through the Centre of your knee almost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Really though, hope he has a few more years left. Perfect guy to mentor a young D core, in Boston or elsewhere.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The tibia has to be pushed back from the knee joint/femur, which would be pretty hard to do unless you hit the top of the boards along the dasher with your knee in a bent position.

He did it when he collided with Tavares pretty much straight on. The movement/impact was pretty much exactly what you describe.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Damaged ligaments can atrophy and dissapear. R.A. Dickey for instance is missing an important ligament in his throwing elbow...It's why he had to switch to the knuckleball.

Didn't Dickey switch because he was simply awful and needed to do something, anything and turned to the knuckleball as a last ditch effort to revive his career? I know he was originally drafted by Texas, and then they basically offered him nothing with his bonus after doing a physical and finding no ligament(the same ligament that requires Tommy John surgery).

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Didn't Dickey switch because he was simply awful and needed to do something, anything and turned to the knuckleball as a last ditch effort to revive his career? I know he was originally drafted by Texas, and then they basically offered him nothing with his bonus after doing a physical and finding no ligament(the same ligament that requires Tommy John surgery).

He ended up being awful though because his arm was already ruined. He was just talented enough that noone noticed when he was in high school. He tried to stay on as a regular pitched but his velocity just kept dropping and dropping. Finally a coach said "hey, why don't you throw a knuckelball?"

Took him a long time of getting bounced around with it, but that's why a lot of guys don't throw a knuckleball. If you don't throw it right, it's just a flat pitch that a 10 year old can nail.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Everything is repairable this day in age. You just have a window of opportunity for repair in which the recovery time and complexity of the surgery is smaller than if you choose to wait for a significant amount of time.

A #1 dman on a team that's struggling...perhaps not a necessity immediately. Likely, a surgery now would require enough stitching or a replacement tendon in which the recovery time could be months. Only he knows if it would be worth it. 18-19 yo, repair it. 35+...your call.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
I tore my PCL a couple years ago and the doctor told me it was "permanently torn". Said that there aren't great surgery options for it and most people's (especially pro athletes) bodies just end up adapting to it.

With rehab and rest and considering the low impact hockey has on the knees, I doubt this has any real effects on him long-term.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Why is it permanently torn? I've never heard of something like this

At one point it just degenerates too much. You can have different muscles or ligaments used though. I have a plastic at my outer ligaments on my foot. I ripped them, didn't really feel a lot and a year later they were not usable anymore.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
I completely tore my pcl in my twenties when I went knee on knee playing soccer. Once the swelling, etc is gone you can continue to be active with it, you're just more susceptible to arthritis. After about 6 months of no sports, and some rehab, I played soccer for about 8 years afterwards without my pcl. Apparently it's fairly common among football players. It's also very difficult to repair and has minimal success (or so I was told back then).

I'd say Chara's freakish size probably contributed to this, but then I only play a doctor on some messageboards.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
It's "permanently torn" because you can think of ligaments like a rubber band in your body. Muscles restitch themselves, but ligaments do not once the two ends are 100% torn apart from each other and no longer connected. They can be surgically replaced, though, and I don't know how crucial a PCL is (I've only had my own ACL replaced) but if it is vital to his performance, then I'm sure he will have surgery to do that.

AntonRodin*

It's "permanently torn" because you can think of ligaments like a rubber band in your body. Muscles restitch themselves, but ligaments do not once the two ends are 100% torn apart from each other and no longer connected. They can be surgically replaced, though, and I don't know how crucial a PCL is (I've only had my own ACL replaced) but if it is vital to his performance, then I'm sure he will have surgery to do that.

I would assume PCL is quite important (all ligaments are important).

You can essentially move the lower leg vertically up and down quite easily without the PCL, making the knee a lot more wobbly.

Here's a video with a torn PCL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad