The saying "The Bruins could have had Chabot, Barzal and Connor"...

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I know you’re standing by your club and all, but you have to admit that was a mad day at HQ. Going off the board with three picks in a row is insane.

Good grief, for the millionth time: Boston did not go off the board when it selected Zboril. He was picked where projected. Senyshyn and, to a lesser extent, Debrusk (who was projected to go later in the first round), were the ones that can be considered "off the board".

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
That draft will be huge for Boston. Debrusk and Carlo are already paying dividends in top 4 and top six roles . Between JFK, Lauzon, Zboril, Senyshyn, Gabrielle, and Vladar you're looking at 3-6 more who are right on the development track to make the NHL in the next year or two. That's 5-8 players from one draft.

Boston dressed 8 rookies last night in their win over NJ (Heinen, Debrusk, Kuraly, McAvoy, Cehlarik, Kuraly, Gryzleck and O'Gara) and it would have been 9 but Bjork is injured. There's no need to rush the kids from 2015.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Looking forward to when the B's win the cup and some hater will start a thread asking if the Bruins would have won in 4 games instead of 6 if they drafted blah blah blah. Get a life people and move on from that draft.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Good grief, for the millionth time: Boston did not go off the board when it selected Zboril. He was picked where projected.

This was still a very deep draft at the top end. There were 12 high end talents that would be competing for a top 5 spot in most drafts. Zboril wasn’t any farther off the board than Guryanov, Crouse or Meier but he was still off the board considering who was available.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This was still a very deep draft at the top end. There were 12 high end talents that would be competing for a top 5 spot in most drafts. Zboril wasn’t any farther off the board than Guryanov, Crouse or Meier but he was still off the board considering who was available.

Crouse or Meier were expected to go top 12(anywhere from 6-12)

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I fully understand Debrusk and Zboril, but i just can't wrap my head around senyshyn at all. He could've been picked up in the second round without a problem and even if another teams picked him up it wouldn't be a big deal. Kyle Connor and Barzal were no brainers and Bruins should've picked up at the very least one of them.

If they'd picked Brazal they'd have their long-term Krejci replacement right there and everything would've looked a lot different for the bruins considering their aging Center core.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I fully understand Debrusk and Zboril, but i just can't wrap my head around senyshyn at all. He could've been picked up in the second round without a problem and even if another teams picked him up it wouldn't be a big deal. Kyle Connor and Barzal were no brainers and Bruins should've picked up at the very least one of them.

If they'd picked Brazal they'd have their long-term Krejci replacement right there and everything would've looked a lot different for the bruins considering their aging Center core.

A year after the draft people were saying the same thing about Senyshyn and DeBrusk but flipped as Debrusk's #'s fell and Senyshyn blew up. Now that Debrusk is in the NHL it flips back the other way. If Senyshyn put up his 40+ goals a year earlier he probably wouldn't have slipped to Boston's mid first rounders.

The funniest thing about it all is that the one guy they took who everyone agreed on (Zboril) and follows the BPA approach is the one who's struggling behind the two "reach" picks.

Senyshyn is on his own timeline IMO it will be at least a year in the AHL (probably two) before he makes the jump.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
A year after the draft people were saying the same thing about Senyshyn and DeBrusk but flipped as Debrusk's #'s fell and Senyshyn blew up. Now that Debrusk is in the NHL it flips back the other way.

The funniest thing about it all is that the one guy they took who everyone agreed on (Zboril) and follows the BPA approach is the one who's struggling behind the two "reach" picks.

Senyshyn is on his own timeline IMO it will be at least a year in the AHL (probably two) before he makes the jump.

Well i'm talking about what information they had during the draft. Senyshyn was regarded as a second rounder while you had players like Connor and Barzal as potential top-10 draft picks, and after the draft they both proved exactly why they were regarded as such aswell. Debrusk was regarded as like a 20-30 pick if i remember correctly so if the bruins were very high on Debrusk there was an incentive to pick him since there was a very minimal chance of picking him in the second round.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Well i'm talking about what information they had during the draft. Senyshyn was regarded as a second rounder while you had players like Connor and Barzal as potential top-10 draft picks, and after the draft they both proved exactly why they were regarded as such aswell. Debrusk was regarded as like a 20-30 pick if i remember correctly so if the bruins were very high on Debrusk there was an incentive to pick him since there was a very minimal chance of picking him in the second round.
Wait so you're talking about what information they had during the draft or what they proved after - because Senyshyn certainly proved his worth in the next year when he put up 45 goals.

But to humor your strategy... say they take Senyshn in the second (if he's still on the board), and miss their opportunity to grab Carlo there like they did. That’s the plan?

Last edited:
Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Wait so you're talking about what information they had during the draft or what they proved after?

So say they take Senyshn in the second (if he's still on the board), and miss their opportunity to grab Carlo there like they did. . .

Well i'm talking about the information they had at the draft atleast.

I mean ofcourse, that's a valid argument for sure. Carlo was ranked higher than senyshyn aswell however and there's also the chance that senyshyn would be available where they choose Forsbacka, so going for Senyshyn in the first round or early second seems didn't seem like the best strategy at the time, and in hindsight it's been proven aswell.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I know you’re standing by your club and all, but you have to admit that was a mad day at HQ. Going off the board with three picks in a row is insane.

Explain why Zboril who was the next selection is off the boards? He was in the group of the best dee available. DeBrusk was taken maybe earlier then thought but has exceded expectations since being drafted. Point is these kids were picked at age 17, you do not know what you have til 22. Senyshyn had over 80 goals in his last 2 years of Junior and at 6'3 and over 200 lbs and the 2nd fastest skater after McDavid , if you want him grab him. Zboril and Chabot are both in the AHL - thats a wash. DeBrusk and Barzal have the same amount of goals and DeBrusk is not the powerplay mainstay that Barzal is, different style players and effective. Connor is in the NHL and Senyshyn is not, lets wait and see. Imagine if the Bruins never gave 32 year old Tim Thomas a shot, no one wanted him. Marchand went over half a year before scoring as a rookie, by this logic they should have both never been allowed to play.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

I mean ofcourse, that's a valid argument for sure. Carlo was ranked higher than senyshyn aswell however and there's also the chance that senyshyn would be available where they choose Forsbacka, so going for Senyshyn in the first round or early second seems didn't seem like the best strategy at the time, and in hindsight it's been proven aswell.

Information like the Leafs Kyle Dubas was Senyshyn's GM in Junior at SSM and was considering picking him as were the Wings. Bruins needed and addressed the weaknesses. Dee and scoring gritty wingers, not centers- Senyshyn's 87 goals in his last 2 junior years, top 3 in his class for that time period.

DeBrusk had 63 goals his last 2 junior years and was injured parts of the last. He got 49 pts in the AHL last year and 9 pts in 17 AHL playoff games.

Carlo as a second round pick is doing better then Chabot, they would not get him if they used it on someone else. They got the centers in place now with some slugs named Krejci and Bergeron. They also drafted Frederic, JF Karlsson, Donato, Studnicka, Fitzgerald and Koppanen at center.

Not every pick is going come right away like Pastrnak, Carlo or McAvoy and contribute. Some take time, lets wait and see. Those are 3 guys that are doing better then expected, seems I will trust guys who picked them over some keyboard warriors here, lol. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, we are doing alright now and even better in the future, sorry to disappoint some.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Ridiculous argument OP. Nobody cares where their picks would fall in a redraft today. Point is, Boston made some questionable picks at the time of the draft itself. Period.

100% agree with this. Bruins went off the board, and it isn't looking good right now. This isn't the case where there ended up a better player available with hindsight. This is a case where the Bruins reached and the guys they passed on are looking really good right now.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Information like the Leafs Kyle Dubas was Senyshyn's GM in Junior at SSM and was considering picking him as were the Wings. Bruins needed and addressed the weaknesses. Dee and scoring gritty wingers, not centers- Senyshyn's 87 goals in his last 2 junior years, top 3 in his class for that time period.

DeBrusk had 63 goals his last 2 junior years and was injured parts of the last. He got 49 pts in the AHL last year and 9 pts in 17 AHL playoff games.

Carlo as a second round pick is doing better then Chabot, they would not get him if they used it on someone else. They got the centers in place now with some slugs named Krejci and Bergeron. They also drafted Frederic, JF Karlsson, Donato, Studnicka, Fitzgerald and Koppanen at center.

Not every pick is going come right away like Pastrnak, Carlo or McAvoy and contribute. Some take time, lets wait and see. Those are 3 guys that are doing better then expected, seems I will trust guys who picked them over some keyboard warriors here, lol. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, we are doing alright now and even better in the future, sorry to disappoint some.

Hey listen at large I agree, but you have to agree that Bruins would look in better shape with one of connor or Barzal instead of going offboard with senyshyn right? There's no hindsight to be had either because they we'e no brain picks at the time.

And no need for centres, what do you have to replace older guys like Krejci and Bergeron?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Hey listen at large I agree, but you have to agree that Bruins would look in better shape with one of connor or Barzal instead of going offboard with senyshyn right? There's no hindsight to be had either because they we'e no brain picks at the time.

And no need for centres, what do you have to replace older guys like Krejci and Bergeron?
How many more years do you think “older guys” Krejci and Bergeron have?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't blame Bruins fans for defending the picks. They're probably sick of hearing about it as I know I would be.
But it was a huge missed opportunity for the franchise. Just thinking what could have been.
Having said that, I hope the picks work out for them. I always wish success for young players.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
How many more years do you think “older guys” Krejci and Bergeron have?

For some reason I thought Krecji was born 83, my bad. But yeah they're both above 30 and would be surprised if they don't start to decline 2-3 years from now (decline doesn't mean they'll be bad ofcourse).

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Bergeron is 32 so maybe a couple of more high level years and then could still be good but likely not great. Krejci is 31. I'd guess maybe 3 more high level years.

I believe Frederic will be a top center, another Bruin pick everyone ridiculed till his excellent season last year. Heinen could be groomed that way in my view, he is a Bergy lite version so far. Donato is having a good career at Harvard and Karlsson is in the AHL doing well. They can always make a trade for one if need be.

We know the dee prospects are already in the NHL with Carlo and McAvoy in the top 4 and O'Gara and Grezlyk in the bottom 6. They are set for years with Lindgren, Lauzon, Zboril, Sherman, Arnesson, Johansson, Grezlyk, O'Gara and Vakkanainen. They only need 3 or 4 of them to hit in the next few years and that will change the blueline to a more mobile modern dee.

Wingers are Pastrnak (how the rest of the league let him slip to 25th is a crime lol). Heinen, 4th round pick(steal), Bjork(steal) 5th round pick and DeBrusk and Senyshyn. Not bad going forward, seems the scouts know a thing or two afterall. There will be misses and there will always be fans letting you know how smart they are in hindsight.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So if we’re waiting for 3 years to have a spot for him why make the call on their picks today?

Today they need wingers more than play making centers and they’re playing 3 rookies in their top six. Not sure where/how a kid like Barzal fits there.

Bergeron is 32 so maybe a couple of more high level years and then could still be good but likely not great. Krejci is 31. I'd guess maybe 3 more high level years.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

One of our best insiders had said that there were a couple of first round teams picking after Boston that wanted Senyshyn and if I remember right, one of them was the Red Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad