The saying "The Bruins could have had Chabot, Barzal and Connor"...

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
All Bruins hear is this saying whenever 2015 comes up or the talk of any of our prospects. Bruins should have, could have and would have if they knew that these were guarenteed slam dunks since all of them have played a massive sample size.

The fact is that if there was this redraft these prospects would not be there. Lets look at some of the people taken before those 3.

[Arizona] #3 Dylan Strome (Cant crack a horrific Arizona team)
[NJD] #6 Pavel Zacha (.36 ppg)
[Sharks] #9 Timmo Meier (.18 ppg)
[Florida traded to Arizona] #11 Lawson Crouse (0.15 ppg)
[Stars] #12 Dennis Gurianov (hasnt played for dallas but .46 ppg in the AHL

Boston Picked #13-15
#13 Jakub Zboril
#14 Jake Debrusk (.41 ppg while playing alot of games with Riley "Hes good at the PK" Nash)
#15 Zach Senyshyn

Then we have the 3 stars. Barzal, Chabot and Connor. Barzal has been lights out amazing he definitely would go ahead of almost everyone listed above. Chabot hasnt played a big enough sample size. Could be a Alex Pietrangelo or a Brandon Gormley WJC type star. Connor has played great but has similar numbers to Jake Debrusk.

Risers
#24 Travis Konency
#28 Anthony Beauvillier
#35 Sebatsion Aho

Throw more of these great players in the should have, could have, would have category and we get more teams that really messed up their draft.

At the end of the day whose to say the three dont get picked before leaving Boston to draft similar players

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
That's the thing, Barzal and Connor shouldn't have been available there. They were both top 10 talents that fell for reasons and the Bruins tried to be the smartest team in the room and passed on them for god knows why

And the original miss on defense was not picking Kylington. Obviously he hasn't been as good as the pre-draft hype but he's more than on track to be a decent top 4 guy in the Gostibehere/Brodie/Josi vein (probably won't be as good as any of those guys though)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's mostly because the fact that they were the next 3 picked after the Bruins trainwreck of what should have been a 2007 Montreal level franchise building draft makes it funnier.

In a redraft it would probably be Barzal, Boeser and Aho. Bruins did hit on Carlo though who'd be in everyone's fantasy redraft too as would McAvoy from 2016

Aho Barzal Boeser... mmm

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Thank you for passing on Connor!
I remember sitting on the couch that day, telling my mom how bad Sweeney had just screwed up, and ecstatic for landing KC. I do feel bad for you guys though, you could have hit 3 home runs.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
The really bad thing about that draft was that even if the three bruins picks reach their potential, they’ll just be decent nhl players. Bruins just avoided dynamic potential. They took a chance on Seny exceeding expectations, but wouldn’t take a chance on Barzal, Connor, or Chabot simply reaching their potentials. Bruins fans were rightfully mad at the time and probably moreso now.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, even at the time they were picked it was thought that Boston was going off the board for its selections.

So trying to compare it with picks that fell roughly in their draft spot that didn't turn out against reaches when "sure things" were available... Doesn't quite work.

Reactions: DaveG and Menzinger

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Senyshyn was the completely baffling pick that so many Bruins fans have tried to defend. Zboril was expected to go where he did,maybe they took a chance on Debrusk and maybe it could have planned out...but to then take a guy projected as a third round pick and who clearly is a third round pick, is completely ridiculous. Barzal was a no brainer. Or Connor, at least get one of them.

Reactions: DaveG and Steven

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I remember sitting on the couch that day, telling my mom how bad Sweeney had just screwed up, and ecstatic for landing KC. I do feel bad for you guys though, you could have hit 3 home runs.

I was watching it and couldn't believe it amd thought omg Connor migh fall to Detroit. Then started thinking the possibilities of Connor playing on Larkin's wing. Sadly twas not to be :(

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Debrusk and Senyshyn were the eh picks, iirc both near universally rated lower than Connor/Barzal(Senyshyn especially). Zboril was higher rated on some boards, so can't really blame them in hindsight.

And they're still all young anyways. In 5 years guys not in the NHL now could be top 10 in a redraft.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
OP doesn't make it look any better for bruins.

At the time of the draft, everyone and their brother knew that Barzal and Connor should have at least been picked. Bruins blew it big time.

Yep, it's not even a hindsight thing where people are mocking them for taking guys rated in the top ten and passing on guys rated in the 3rd round.

The guys they passed on were expected to go high. The guys they took instead were reaches at that spot.

That's why they get the scorn. They tried to look smarter than everyone else by taking guys not rated at those spots ahead of guys available who were rated at those spots.

Reactions: PKwonthetrade

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Yep, it's not even a hindsight thing where people are mocking them for taking guys rated in the top ten and passing on guys rated in the 3rd round.

The guys they passed on were expected to go high. The guys they took instead were reaches at that spot.

That's why they get the scorn. They tried to look smarter than everyone else by taking guys not rated at those spots ahead of guys available who were rated at those spots.

Right now Debrusk is looking good in Boston so nobody is saying much about that on the Bruins board. Zboril has improved year after year and has impressed us with his upwards in development. Seny stats are around .50 in the AHL and looking at the stats only says hes not doing terrible. The eye test for Seny is that he is doing poorly.

I do have to say that the first 8 or so games, Barzal looked lost and then exploded. In hindsight everything could be better and Bruins could have drafted Barzal, Konency and Aho but didnt.

Bruins didnt draft Barzal because of their depth at center (funny enough has been tested this year with Backes,Spooner and Krejci all out of the lineup)

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Sweeney gonna Sweeney, they could've had 3 first liners and it looks like they will end up with maybe 2 solid dime a dozen NHL players. And its not like this is hindsight, everyone (Except the Bruins) saw it.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Connor and Barzal were the obvious picks back on the draft day, no need to use hindsight. Sweeney tried to be smarter than everyone else and lost.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know if I'd call any of these 3 home runs yet, although Barzal is starting to look like one.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Meh it's not as dumb as a redraft situation like saying some 4th round pick could have been picked somewhere and faulting someone for that. Connor and Barzal were both fallers who were expected to have been picked already, and were considered the BPA by many at the Bruins picks. Chabot wasn't all that far down the list either. IIRC Zboril was rated higher and Chabot was in the 20's so I can't exactly fault them too much for that one. But I think it's fair to criticize for them for 2 picks when the so called layups have turned out to be the better picks to this point. It's not as outlandish as if someone criticized them for not picking Aho at 13, 14 or 15 for example.

But fear not, you're still 2nd on the list of Barzal draft related hindsight criticisms.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Right now Debrusk is looking good in Boston so nobody is saying much about that on the Bruins board. Zboril has improved year after year and has impressed us with his upwards in development. Seny stats are around .50 in the AHL and looking at the stats only says hes not doing terrible. The eye test for Seny is that he is doing poorly.

I do have to say that the first 8 or so games, Barzal looked lost and then exploded. In hindsight everything could be better and Bruins could have drafted Barzal, Konency and Aho but didnt.

Bruins didnt draft Barzal because of their depth at center (funny enough has been tested this year with Backes,Spooner and Krejci all out of the lineup)
That is absurd. Barzal looked like the best isles player but recorded no points. His linemates were wiffing on gimees. The only rational explanation of what you said is that you were stat-watching.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's not hindsight though. Go look at consensus rankings on mynhldraft.com. Those 3 players were ranked higher than the guys BOS took and still available on the board when BOS picked.

Zboril and Chabot were pretty close in the rankings, but Chabot had a higher consensus. So I guess that's the one BOS should get a pass on if you're not using hindsight.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
but they were there, even though they shouldn't have been. And then Boston went off the board and outsmarted themselves

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
but they were there, even though they shouldn't have been. And then Boston went off the board and outsmarted themselves

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings

Obviously, it's not a perfect way to determine it, because there is no perfect way, but their consensus lists take into account multiple different prospect rankings Surprise, surprise, if you stipulate BOS must take 1D and 2F, the best 3 players left on the board at that time in the draft were Barzal+Connor at F and Chabot at D.

OP is trying to act like people are deploying hindsight in a similar way to those who say x team was dumb for not taking Gaudreau in round 1 of his draft. But it's pretty clear, these 3 players were all ranked around where BOS selected, and BOS went off the board for 2 of 3 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad