The saying "The Bruins could have had Chabot, Barzal and Connor"...

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
This is all brought because Barzal happens to be getting a lot of points, 12 even strength to date to DeBrusks 7. Had he not been hot then this would not be news. Last year everyone cherry picked Konecny with the shame game, this year he is not racking up a lot of pts but is still doing good. If we go by the points way of pointing fingers then lets look at forwards taken before those picks and how they are doing.Compare them to some of the recent picks the Bruins have on the NHL roster now, as they have 8 rookies playing full time.

3rd pick -Dylan Strome 2 NHL games this year, 0 pts
6th pick - Zacha, so far 5 pts this year in 15 games
9th pick - Timo Meier - 4 pts in 17 games
11th pick - Crouse - 7 pts in 8 ahl games, 0 in 7 NHL games
12th pick - Gurianov - 6 pts in 15 AHL games
Total NHL pts = 10 pts in 41 man games played

DeBrusk - 18 NHL games - 9 pts
Senyshyn - 14 AHL games - 8 pts (more then Crouse and Gurianov)
Zboril- 12 AHL games - o pts plus 7
Carlo - 19 NHL games - 4 pts, (2nd rounder)
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson- 15 AHL games - 10 pts, 1 NHL game - O pts
Jeremy Lauzon - 14 AHL games - 2 pts, plus 7
Total NHL pts =13 in 38 man games played

Heinen - 15 NHL games - 10 pts, 4th round pick 2014 (rookie this year)
Bjork - 16 NHL games - 9 pts, 5th round pick 2014 (rookie this year)
McAvoy - 19 NHL games - 10 pts, (2016, 14th pick) (rookie this year)
Total NHL games 50 = 29pts

So the highly touted picks from 3 to 12 in that draft have a total of 10 pts, I guess they are busts by pts definition or do they get a pass because they are young and can still amount to something but Senyshyn and Zboril are not allowed that grace. The 3 big dee taken in that (Provorov, Hanifin and Werenski) draft are all contributing large but after them the next (7) seven dee are in the AHL including Chabot. Carlo who was picked at 37 (8th dee) has already played 101 NHL games.

Wow that draft SUCKED

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Wow that draft SUCKED

Everyone focuses on Pick 16 because Zboril was taken in the right spot and DeBrusk is as good as Connor so far. Senyshyn is not in the NHL and either are these guys. So why not bring them up, seems fair if it all based on points. They were also taken before him picks 3,6,9,11,12. It puts holes in the story line here thought, facts tend to do that.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Sweeney gonna Sweeney, they could've had 3 first liners and it looks like they will end up with maybe 2 solid dime a dozen NHL players. And its not like this is hindsight, everyone (Except the Bruins) saw it.
Sweeney and Chia are/were horrible GMs. I bet Sweeney doesn't last too long.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ridiculous argument OP. Nobody cares where their picks would fall in a redraft today. Point is, Boston made some questionable picks at the time of the draft itself. Period.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
While the pick looks bad now I think Dallas got a free pass because Gurianov was sort of a swing for the fences kind of pick that could have ended up being one of the top 5 players drafted. There is also a history of Russians being undervalued in the previous 5-6 drafts that might have made many say is it the same case here.

Senyshyn and to a much lesser extent Debrusk didn't have the upside of Gurianov

While Senyshyn didn't have the same kind of surge in the draft rankings, I think he was very much a swing for the fences/upside pick in the same mold as Gurianov. A long 6'3 205 lbs and one of the best skaters in the draft. Hadn't put it all together in his draft year. Barzal was also a home run pick. With a much better pedigree against his peers. At a premium position etc. The reason why it burns.

Zboril was supposed to be the blue chipper (or closest thing to one). The widespread opinion on DeBrusk was he's a safe player. Lower upside/high floor. Middle-6 range. Interesting to see him now in the NHL. Things change in a hurry. Even a month or two from now the evaluation of players in that draft may change drastically.

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
It'll probably be the reason why they won't be competitive for the foreseeable future.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
While Senyshyn didn't have the same kind of surge in the draft rankings, I think he was very much a swing for the fences/upside pick in the same mold as Gurianov. A long 6'3 205 lbs and one of the best skaters in the draft. Hadn't put it all together in his draft year.

I do remember Gurianov getting a little love to being a potential "sleeper pick" before the draft, Senyshyn sort of came out of left field which is probably why the Dallas pick didn't get as much hate as the Bruins 3 picks. It should also be noted Gurianov was basically slotted to be a 15-25 pick so him moving up to 12 wasn't as much a stretch

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
"I still think (at least part of) the reasoning behind it was to completely restock the system at all positions. Zboril (LD), Debrusk (LW), Senyshyn (RW)...fully knowing they were targeting Carlo (RD), JFK (C) and Lauzon (LD). Daniel Vladar (G) was the very next pick in the 3rd round. Not the best strategy, but the Boston system was a complete dearth of talent at a lot of positions, this changed that."

I suppose that the counter-argument is why not draft Connor (LW) or Konecney or Boeser (both RWs) instead of Debrusk and Senyshyn? To go even further, why not just draft Barzal and, if needed, later use him as a trade chip to acquire a high-end LW or RW prospect/player?

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So glad they missed on Boeser and so did the next few teams and he fell to us :yo:

Mind you was after we took Mccann and Pastanek fell to them i guess

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It'll probably be the reason why they won't be competitive for the foreseeable future.

If not getting the best player possible in the middle of the 1st round keeps them from being competitive for the foreseeable future - there's something wrong, especially considering they got Pastrnak the year before at 25, Heinen at 116, Bjork at 146, Carlo at 37 that draft and McAvoy at 15 the following draft. And that on top of Zboril, Debrusk, Senyshyn - over those three years they picked Donato(56), JFK (45), Lauzon (52), Vladar (75), Gabrielle (105), Frederic (29), Lindgren (49). These players are all tracking pretty well. I don't expect them all to make the NHL or anything but - they restocked the whole system over three years without tanking (being the best team in the regular season one of those years). A lot of these later picks should earn Bruins scouts the benefit of the doubt.

DeBrusk is playing really well and comparable to the guys drafted after him. I liked this pick at the time and he hasn't disappointed whatsoever.
I still prefer Zboril over Chabot but we'll see if either one can put it all together.

Mostly it comes down to them reaching for Senyshyn - as he's one of those swing for the fences 'project' picks. - I wasn't worried about Barzal (really happy he's doing so well on The Isle) but thought they'd take Connor for sure as he seemed to fit. But Senyshyn definitely has the tools to develop into E. Cole but it remains to be seen whether he can put it all together.

Interested to see where Zboril is towards the end of the season while being a bit more patient with Senyshyn to see where he is around this time next year.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Everyone focuses on Pick 16 because Zboril was taken in the right spot and DeBrusk is as good as Connor so far. Senyshyn is not in the NHL and either are these guys. So why not bring them up, seems fair if it all based on points. They were also taken before him picks 3,6,9,11,12. It puts holes in the story line here thought, facts tend to do that.

Some Bruins fans seem to have a hard time at grasping a simple concept or just love to move the goal posts in order to make themselves feel better.

The Bruins should have drafted Connor or Barzal with 1 of the 3 picks. This isn't about the earlier picks that other teams drafted and it isn't about who the Bruins drafted the year before or in later round.

The Bruins messed up and it was so obvious from the get go that people were calling Sweeney the worst GM in the league right after it happened.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Zboril/Chabot- fine, seen as comparable on draft day. If they wanted a D it's only open to attach through hindsight.
Debrusk/Connor- fine-ish. Connor was rated higher, but IMO was overrated. Debrusk had massive development from U18 to U19 and Connor stagnated, staying in the USHL and not pushing on to NCAA

Senyshyn/Barzal- Inexcusable. Barzal (along with Provorov) were guys I would have been comfortable with if Hunter decided to reach a little at 4, and were the reasons I kind of wanted to trade back. That 5 others made the same mistake doesn't make it even better, it just makes the opportunity wasted worse because something landed in your lap that shouldn't have. That it was spent reaching on a 2nd rounder is just salt in the wound.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Some Bruins fans seem to have a hard time at grasping a simple concept or just love to move the goal posts in order to make themselves feel better.

The Bruins should have drafted Connor or Barzal with 1 of the 3 picks. This isn't about the earlier picks that other teams drafted and it isn't about who the Bruins drafted the year before or in later round.

The Bruins messed up and it was so obvious from the get go that people were calling Sweeney the worst GM in the league right after it happened.

How many times have we heard they targeted wingers and dee, so now move the goalpost since Barzal is having a good year and racking up some power play points. Use it as a way to attack Sweeney like some Bruins fans are doing. Connor is no better then DeBrusk, Zboril was taken were he was supposed to be taken.

This is all about Senyshyn and points, very reasonable to compare him to the ones in the draft above him, seems pretty easy to follow. Some Bruins fans need to get over the FACT Barzal and Connor are not coming to Boston and accept who they picked and get behind them and be true fans of the prospects you have, instead of whining about this guy and that guy.

I could care less about Barzal or Connor or even Julien they all are not in Boston, good luck to them. I am very happy with who we have and by comparison we are doing pretty good. All I have to say about these type of fans are with friends like that who needs enimas, lol

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
How many times have we heard they targeted wingers and dee, so now move the goalpost since Barzal is having a good year and racking up some power play points. Use it as a way to attack Sweeney like some Bruins fans are doing. Connor is no better then DeBrusk, Zboril was taken were he was supposed to be taken.

This is all about Senyshyn and points, very reasonable to compare him to the ones in the draft above him, seems pretty easy to follow. Some Bruins fans need to get over the FACT Barzal and Connor are not coming to Boston and accept who they picked and get behind them and be true fans of the prospects you have, instead of whining about this guy and that guy.

I could care less about Barzal or Connor or even Julien they all are not in Boston, good luck to them. I am very happy with who we have and by comparison we are doing pretty good. All I have to say about these type of fans are with friends like that who needs enimas, lol

You said it yourself, you care at least a little or you wouldn't get this winded commenting in this thread. Don't stress out so much about Sweeney screwing this up so badly. He has done other things that have worked out well.

The point of this thread is that Sweeney did or didn't screw up by not taking Connor or Barzal. I don't really understand how any Bruins fan can defend that he didn't screw up. It was obvious at the time so this isn't some hindsight thing.

If you'd rather have Senyshyn over Barzal, then I think you're letting your ego get in the way of reality.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
You said it yourself, you care at least a little or you wouldn't get this winded commenting in this thread. Don't stress out so much about Sweeney screwing this up so badly. He has done other things that have worked out well.

The point of this thread is that Sweeney did or didn't screw up by not taking Connor or Barzal. I don't really understand how any Bruins fan can defend that he didn't screw up. It was obvious at the time so this isn't some hindsight thing.

If you'd rather have Senyshyn over Barzal, then I think you're letting your ego get in the way of reality.

What if Senyshyn turns into a power scoring forward, point is we do not know yet. That is no different then saying the other picks made that I pointed out are just as bad, way way too early to say one way or the other. That is the point, ppl are jumping up and down because the one guy is an excellent power play guy, who has as many goals as DeBrusk. Too early my friend and no need to even have this discussion til 3 or 5 years from now, when we actually know. Ego has nothing to do with it at all, being fair and lets see. My god at 20 we are ready to declare winners now, how much younger can this game get. You need to get off this pride issue, its a time issue and the time is too early.

Reactions: ORRMAN

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
What if Senyshyn turns into a power scoring forward, point is we do not know yet. That is no different then saying the other picks made that I pointed out are just as bad, way way too early to say one way or the other. That is the point, ppl are jumping up and down because the one guy is an excellent power play guy, who has as many goals as DeBrusk. Too early my friend and no need to even have this discussion til 3 or 5 years from now, when we actually know. Ego has nothing to do with it at all, being fair and lets see. My god at 20 we are ready to declare winners now, how much younger can this game get. You need to get off this pride issue, its a time issue and the time is too early.

This.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015

Senyshyn could turn out to be the next Wayne Gretzky, but realistic career projection says that he probably doesn't. I don't think that there's any reasonable independent observer who would take Senyshyn over Barzal anymore. If anything, in the last two years the decision to take him over most players that went right after him looks even worse. He has a chance of becoming a decent player, but guys like Barzal, Connor, White, Chabot, Boeser, Eriksson Ek and Konecny also have at least as high ceiling with much lower floor.

It was the wrong pick at the time, and now we wait wether it turns out to be just an acceptable consolation prize or an unmitigated disaster. Thankfully Sweeney did redeem himself by picking Carlo in the second round and McAvoy in 2016.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Senyshyn could turn out to be the next Wayne Gretzky, but realistic career projection says that he probably doesn't. I don't think that there's any reasonable independent observer who would take Senyshyn over Barzal anymore. If anything, in the last two years the decision to take him over most players that went right after him looks even worse. He has a chance of becoming a decent player, but guys like Barzal, Connor, White, Chabot, Boeser, Eriksson Ek and Konecny also have at least as high ceiling with much lower floor.

It was the wrong pick at the time, and now we wait wether it turns out to be just an acceptable consolation prize or an unmitigated disaster. Thankfully Sweeney did redeem himself by picking Carlo in the second round and McAvoy in 2016.

Thing I never got with Senyshyn is if they were so hellbent to pick him why not trade down 4-5 spots and take him. I am guessing somebody in that 16-20 range would be willing to give up something of decent value to move up to that spot. 2015 was a pretty deep draft that even if somebody else picked him before then they still could have got a good player at 19 or 20

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's not hindsight though. Go look at consensus rankings on mynhldraft.com. Those 3 players were ranked higher than the guys BOS took and still available on the board when BOS picked.

Zboril and Chabot were pretty close in the rankings, but Chabot had a higher consensus. So I guess that's the one BOS should get a pass on if you're not using hindsight.

This, it isn't hindsight at all. They quite deservedly were criticized (by pundits and posters here) at the draft for those picks.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Sweeney and Chia are/were horrible GMs. I bet Sweeney doesn't last too long.

How is Chirelli a bad GM? Got a cup back to Boston after an embarrassing drought (remember you had Ray Bourque for 20 years and couldn't win anything? Most embarrassing treatment of a true Legend in NHL history)

Then he goes to Edm and in one year gets the pieces they need to make the playoffs after an embarrassing run of no playoffs (I will cut some slack though their best player for those 10 years was probably Shawn Horcoff HAHA

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It often feels like most fans 'round here (some fanbases more than others) are absolutely dogmatic about this delusional concept of "The Perfect Draft". It gets pretty tiresome tbh. It's not realistic in the slightest, and shows a total lack of awareness about overall draft trends and the reality that no team EVER bats 100% at the draft, because that isn't how projection and development work. Especially annoying when combined with the kneejerk tendency to judge a draft with finality a year or two out from the actual event.

There's just this overwhelming tendency to ignore the HUGE degree of luck involved in successful drafting - on both sides. It comes across as total arrogance.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It's just a real shame that players peak at 20 years old and never get any better. If a prospect isn't in the NHL 2 years after he is drafted he'll probably be working in the concession stands by year 3.

I know you’re standing by your club and all, but you have to admit that was a mad day at HQ. Going off the board with three picks in a row is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad