The saying "The Bruins could have had Chabot, Barzal and Connor"...

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So if we’re waiting for 3 years to have a spot for him why make the call on their picks today?

Today they need wingers more than play making centers and they’re playing 3 rookies in their top six. Not sure where/how a kid like Barzal fits there.

Good players always fit. Just like Seguin would. You need a center ready to step in to a top six role in 2 or 3 years which Barzal would have been perfect for once he had a couple of more years under his belt.
Anyways I'm not going to pile on. This has been beat to death and I doubt anyone is going to change their mind. I still see it as a huge missed opportunity. I'll leave it at that.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Has it been mentioned that Barzal had an intense interview with Sweeney?

Read on this board that Connor also had an odd interview with Sweeney, but I can't find external support.

Barzal slipped due to the knee injury and interviews. Considering that he's a confident, articulate guy it's pretty clear that the problem was somehow cultural.

So while it may be fun to go after the Bruins, the more interesting question is what it is about hockey culture that results in a couple of obviously strong talents slip down the ranks?

Also, Barzal has changed a lot physically over the years. I can't speak about Connor, but Barzal looks like he's suddenly dropped all of his baby fat while adding some serious explosiveness. His acceleration has improved a lot over training camp last year. That sort of improvement is impossible to project. (Isles know this well - Michael Dal Colle seems no more explosive today than he was the day he was drafted.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad