Speculation: The Sabres Need a Coaching Change

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I do not believe that they think it is fine.

I just believe that they view the solution to be less knee jerk reaction and making moves than many fans and media do.
Terrifying if they think everything is fine. Players regressing, no system, bottom of the league in multiple statistical categories, and the ONLY team in the Eastern Conference with a losing record.

The grave sin is that Okposo is 6th in ice time among forwards this season for the Sabres.

Which I'd say is a GM sin, more than a coaching sin. Without injuries to other forwards he'd still be 9th. If Okposo is in your top 9, your forward core sucks. If Okposo is in your top 6 after a few injuries your forward core sucks and has no depth.

Okposo would be a good 4th liner. The problem is that he's a 3rd liner for the Sabres when the lineup is healthy and a top 6er when there are injuries.
Eh GM probably shouldn't have re-signed him but the coach shouldn't be playing him near 6th in TOI.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
People who say X and O's and system being the issue are just out to lunch. It's a cop out to blame the coach for the players not executing. We've seen how this team could be when they execute correctly for 60 minutes. There is just too much inconsistency within games and we forget the 20-40 minutes of good because of the bad.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
How are ticket sales? That should be something that matters to Pegula. Who wants to pay $100+ in this economy, to watch a disappointing team struggle and lose on a nightly basis?
They overstate the attendance numbers every game so it's hard to tell.

Was like 14k-15k last night
No it wasn't -- that's the number the team gave, but you could tell there wasn't half of that in attendance, and I believe Paul Hamilton said something to that effect. There were under 10k people there.

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I agree with this sentiment, but I'm baffled that a team so rich in prospects couldn't find a deal to add capable experience and some granite noses who can keep up with the play. I keep my fandom practical, and usually only consider what players and coaches we have in place, and it's easy for me to say what deals could or couldn't be struck. I wonder what Adams attempted. He must've tried. He better have tried.

But yes, ditch the coach and threaten the GM. I'm far away from the city, but it's a goddamn sin what has happened to a place that loves (loved?) hockey so much.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Terrifying if they think everything is fine. Players regressing, no system, bottom of the league in multiple statistical categories, and the ONLY team in the Eastern Conference with a losing record.

Eh GM probably shouldn't have re-signed him but the coach shouldn't be playing him near 6th in TOI.
My point is that the GM didn't give the coach 3-6 better forwards to play over Okposo. The roster is devoid of actual NHL ready talent.

edit: If Okposo is your 12th forward your roster is good. If Okposo is your 6th forward your roster is a tire fire.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Since we continue to talk about how awful our coaches were from previous GMs (Botterill/Murray).

Right now Granato has had a better team than both Housley, Ralph, Disco Dan, he's coached more games (218), than Ralph (97), Houlsey and Bylsma (164), and his winning percentage is 47.9% and its currently the worst its been in any of his 3 full season as being a HC 42.3% (Worse then Kruger /Bylsma and .02% better than Housley).

Adams is so far in over his is smaller than Botterill head. At least Botterill and Murray had you know, experience doing the job they were hired to do.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I guarantee Granato would bench Skinner if he was allowed to. If he didn't have the Terry Pegula handcuffs on. As soon as you don't bend the knee, you're out, and Granato knows it.

Botterill and Murray didn't get fired because they were losing -- they were fired because they didn't want to just be an empty suit carrying out stupid orders from a big rich baby. They said no and they were axed. Lafontaine said no, he was axed.

No one gets axed for losing though!

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
They wouldnt hire Gallant or anyone else with a decent track record.

I don't think they will fire Granato until/unless they absolutely need to make a sacrifice down the road.
Gallant is not the answer here and I am shocked at how much his name is coming up right now given what is going on.

Granato has already done the Gallant thing with this group. Just let the guys go out and play fast like we saw last year. The problem is there is always a ceiling with Gallant and you needed to fire him to get to the next level.

We are at that stage with Granato now. You need someone to come in and be able to adequately coach this group into playing with some type of structure.

Look at how much better the Rangers are this year playing under Laviolette’s more structured system. We need someone like that to take this group to another level not another Granto/Gallant type

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I see we’ve entered the Pegula conspiracies phase.
I don’t think it’s flat-earth level to say the guy is overly loyal to his hires

May be true, may not be, but hardly faking the moon landing

Roster meddling however, idk

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I do not believe that they think it is fine.

I just believe that they view the solution to be less knee jerk reaction and making moves than many fans and media do.
It’s not a knee jerk reaction to watch the inaction of another offseason and accurately predict exactly what happens next. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy of failure.

Do nothing because you don’t want to rush things and when that doesn’t work do nothing because you don’t want to react to it.

Great.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don’t think it’s flat-earth level to say the guy is overly loyal to his hires

May be true, may not be, but hardly faking the moon landing

Roster meddling however, idk
The Pegulas has had more turnover in the coach and GM spots than plenty of owners over the 12+ years that they have owned the franchise.

Granato is the 7th head coach and Adams is the 4th GM.

Montreal has had 5 head coaches and 3 GMs over that timeframe.

Ottawa has had 5 head coaches and 3 GMs over that timeframe.

Detroit has had 3 head coaches and 2 GMs over that timeframe.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Does he learn after going 0/3?
Of course not. He cared more about the communication his GM has with him than an ability to do the job. He flat out said it himself. Better hope someone close to him knows hockey well. Because the one thing that is inarguable about Terry Pegula is that he does not want a strong, proven hockey mind in charge of his fledgling record breaking franchise

Reactions: May Day 10

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Of course not. He cared more about the communication his GM has with him than an ability to do the job. He flat out said it himself. Better hope someone close to him knows hockey well. Because the one thing that is inarguable about Terry Pegula is that he does not want a strong, proven hockey mind in charge of his fledgling record breaking franchise

This is dead-on
When he hired Adams, he went on about his 3 E's. Economic, Efficient, Effective. Pegula has achieved his model organization. He has the perfect 'communicator' as GM who isnt afraid to listen to ideas from the owner or anyone else. I also think he has the one GM who is not in charge of the coach in regards to firing/hiring decisions which is unique to Pegula.

The team sits at the 3rd lowest payroll. They have a smallish and 'efficient' staff who relies on video and analytics (not saying thats necessarily a terrible thing).

In order for this team to properly function under Terry Pegula, they need to have a weak GM and coach, who probably have little/no options elsewhere in the league. It is very similar to the 00s Bills under Wilson and Wilson/Brandon.

Reactions: sabremike

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
They overstate the attendance numbers every game so it's hard to tell.

No it wasn't -- that's the number the team gave, but you could tell there wasn't half of that in attendance, and I believe Paul Hamilton said something to that effect. There were under 10k people there.
Well that's well over half of what I mentioned.

I see we’ve entered the Pegula conspiracies phase.
It's comical.

Terry Pegula is the Sith Lord

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am shocked that more hasn't been made of that inexcusable sequence to start the game where everyone just stopped playing despite no whistle being blown thinking (incorrectly) the puck had gone out of play. That absolutely CANNOT happen and it was such a perfect example of how poorly drilled and prepared this team is. Do you think say a RBA coached team would ever do something like that? No chance in Hell.

Reactions: newfiejesus

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is dead-on
When he hired Adams, he went on about his 3 E's. Economic, Efficient, Effective. Pegula has achieved his model organization. He has the perfect 'communicator' as GM who isnt afraid to listen to ideas from the owner or anyone else. I also think he has the one GM who is not in charge of the coach in regards to firing/hiring decisions which is unique to Pegula.

The team sits at the 3rd lowest payroll. They have a smallish and 'efficient' staff who relies on video and analytics (not saying thats necessarily a terrible thing).

In order for this team to properly function under Terry Pegula, they need to have a weak GM and coach, who probably have little/no options elsewhere in the league. It is very similar to the 00s Bills under Wilson and Wilson/Brandon.
I really need to start rooting against this team. They deserve every bad thing that has happened if this is true..

Well that's well over half of what I mentioned.
"Under 10k" can be as low as zero people. How is that "well over half?"

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The Pegulas has had more turnover in the coach and GM spots than plenty of owners over the 12+ years that they have owned the franchise.

Granato is the 7th head coach and Adams is the 4th GM.

Montreal has had 5 head coaches and 3 GMs over that timeframe.

Ottawa has had 5 head coaches and 3 GMs over that timeframe.

Detroit has had 3 head coaches and 2 GMs over that timeframe.
The raw number isn’t really indicative. In a vacuum one could fairly argue that many of those 7/4 got too long

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad