Speculation: The Sabres Need a Coaching Change

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I would like to see more of the kids worked into the PK to give them more defensive pressure.

As for the PP... there is almost no one on the team who has shown a willingness to screen a goalie. They have a couple who do it - Tuch, Okposo and Girgensons and Benson. When a few more of these guys decide to camp in front of the net, I could see the incessant ragging on Okposo on PP2 being a cause for concern but they aren't asking Benson to do that - he seems like their best bumper to me and he's already on PP2 - and that leaves no one else.

Greenway, in his limited PP minutes, has shown a willingness to get his ass in front of the net and not move.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
What we do not know is how much of this roster building is actually Granato's choice.

I think it is extremely clear that Adams went out and acquired Greenway and Stillman at Donny's request.

Bryson remaining with the big club also screams of Granato's choice of keeping the happy family together, the way the assistant coaching staff was all retained despite some obvious failures.

Adams is clearly working the cap situation and the player extensions, but it feels like he is building the team Granato wants, as much or more so than him having his own plan and vision of trades or acquisitions to make.

We know Adams and Granato have presented a united front and said they are building it together, and I don't think Adams would trade away any of the kids for a guy like Chuychrun without Granato signing off on it, but it actually feels like Adams is letting the coaching staff take the lead on the majority of personnel decisions. I get the feeling that he is ultimately fine having more "develop the kids years" and is only making moves when the staff requests it.
For me, its not about roster building. Its about on ice systems and tactics. And bench management. I don't care how much of a players coach Donnie is, ya gotta know how (and be willing) to make adjustments, hold people accountable and select Asst Coaches who are capable of replacing you.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Greenway, in his limited PP minutes, has shown a willingness to get his ass in front of the net and not move.

Okay, so that's four. Just saying, they don't have players who do what is required to get there. And it's not like someone needs to be a bruiser to do it - Sam Reinhart is excellent at the net front because of timing and stick skills, rather than being bigger or meaner. They don't have the temperament and haven't been pushed to use it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Okay, so that's four. Just saying, they don't have players who do what is required to get there. And it's not like someone needs to be a bruiser to do it - Sam Reinhart is excellent at the net front because of timing and stick skills, rather than being bigger or meaner. They don't have the temperament and haven't been pushed to use it.
Holmstrom made a career out of playing net front and wasn't a beast.

Reactions: Moncton man

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I feel like more often than not, Sam's skill for tipping in front of the net was on the PP no? Not discounting his ability, but we need that mentality all game long.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They will be even younger next year with four of the oldest players being the only ones on the way out.

Adams has to make a ton of changes to get this team into the playoffs in the next 5 years. Because the way he's going, it will never not be the youngest team. Not in 3-5 years.
Average age doesn't really change the narrative except for the "wow" factor. Next year the young core will be a year older (a good thing), and hopefully they bring in a later 20s character vet or two.

It definitely should be a reality check though for the posters pushing the idea that the team would be better off adding a full time Savoie, Kulich and Rosen to the squad as a solution.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
For me, its not about roster building. Its about on ice systems and tactics. And bench management. I don't care how much of a players coach Donnie is, ya gotta know how (and be willing) to make adjustments, hold people accountable and select Asst Coaches who are capable of replacing you.
Completely agree, and I have been complaining about the inability to adjust for some time.

My post was just addressing the premise that Granato has been hamstring by Adams decisions, when to me, it feels like Adams may be deferring the personnel decisions to Granato and making moves based on what he asks for.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Average age doesn't really change the narrative except for the "wow" factor. Next year the young core will be a year older (a good thing), and hopefully they bring in a later 20s character vet or two.

It definitely should be a reality check though for the posters pushing the idea that the team would be better off adding a full time Savoie, Kulich and Rosen to the squad as a solution.
We brought in two character vets last year and it didn't help at all -- the team is in the bottom of almost every category. If they follow your recommendation and do the exact same again, I don't expect we'd be any close to the playoffs than we were last year, though probably close than we are now.

Again, a 3-5 year timeline until the team is legit competitive.

So, back to coaching changes.

Who ya got?
Eventually you need to stop changing coaches since it's literally worked zero times in the past decade. Sounds like a dumb idea at this point.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Holmstrom made a career out of playing net front and wasn't a beast.

I feel like more often than not, Sam's skill for tipping in front of the net was on the PP no? Not discounting his ability, but we need that mentality all game long.

I was making reference to complaints about Okposo on the PP and that his role (net front) is something others aren't doing. It is very much a mentality that they need and right now, it does not appear they have the people to bring that out in those who are too shy to go there.

Reactions: sabres4ever

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The Sabres are basically last in their division nearing the one-third mark of the season.

For the Pegula’s and Adams to sit around with their thumbs up their ass is unacceptable.

It would be great for the fans to stage a protest before a game and not go to their seats until 5 minutes into a game. I know, I’m not telling anyone what to do but I’d like to see the fans make a statement regarding the crap product we are seeing.

Last edited:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Coaching changes won't make much difference unless players buy into whichever system they try to implement. Right off the bat you know Skinner isn't changing his style of play. Power won't suddenly decide to physically engage the opposition.

You have a very homogeneous group, which is great for pitching the same cable news propaganda but you're lacking anyone willing to throw that narrative on it's head. A leopard's spots aren't going to change, move a couple of the group thinkers and bring in some Joe Rogans to unravel their world

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We brought in two character vets last year and it didn't help at all -- the team is in the bottom of almost every category. If they follow your recommendation and do the exact same again, I don't expect we'd be any close to the playoffs than we were last year, though probably close than we are now.

Again, a 3-5 year timeline until the team is legit competitive.

If Adams had brought in two hard noses bottom six character forwards that were better than Okposo, the roster would be better balanced.

Thinking they can revamp the entire roster in an off season is not realistic. The depth D is night and day better than last season, but the coaching is still not making any adjustments and the team fully lacks discipline. You could honestly bring in ten vets and if they were playing as individuals like they currently are and not a team, the results would be the same.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So, back to coaching changes.

Who ya got?
Of the currently unemployed guys, Gerard Gallant.

Yes, he has a very short shelf life. No, he probably isn't winning a Cup here. But I think he gets this team to take the next step into one that can compete for the playoffs. He's not going to let these guys get away with the stupid mistakes they're making. Then once he's reached his ceiling and his message gets stale you replace him with someone who can get them to the top.

I like Granato, and think he did a great job in the development phase, and who knows, maybe he goes back to being an assistant for a couple years, gets the reigns somewhere else and does a better job there...but it's not happening here and now.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I agree 100% but just wish you hadn't mentioned the last two because it's going to distract from the point being made.
They're certainly not the "model citizens" that would receive blessings from the Pegulas. I doubt either would make it onto even a long-list of candidates for that very reason.

They're both unemployed Cup winners with many years of HC experience however. Ignoring them would have been hypocritical cherry-picking. My ethical standards aren't as lofty as most.

Reactions: Irie

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They're certainly not the "model citizens" that would receive blessings from the Pegulas. I doubt either would make it onto even a long-list of candidates for that very reason.

They're both unemployed Cup winners with many years of HC experience however. Ignoring them would have been hypocritical cherry-picking. My ethical standards aren't as lofty as most.
None of them except one would accept a job with the Pegula’s, and they Pegula’s wouldn’t accept them. And therein lies the problem: Terry Pegula.

No proposed solution by any of us will ever work because Terry Pegula is the owner.

A respectable coach would never accept a job with this team. Keep dreaming folks

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
None of them except one would accept a job with the Pegula’s, and they Pegula’s wouldn’t accept them. And therein lies the problem: Terry Pegula.

No proposed solution by any of us will ever work because Terry Pegula is the owner.

A respectable coach would never accept a job with this team. Keep dreaming folks
Right. Coaching changes are for small-thinkers.

How about "Fire Pegula!" billboards and chants at KeyBank? Planes towing "Sell the Sabres!" banners past the SS Pegula 7x24?

Spark up the GoFundMe campaign.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Right. Coaching changes are for small-thinkers.

How about "Fire Pegula!" billboards and chants at KeyBank? Planes towing "Sell the Sabres!" banners past the SS Pegula 7x24?

Spark up the GoFundMe campaign.
I mean, you kind of have to fire the coach if the losses keep piling up, but I'd expect a worse coach. Because good coaches stay away from this toxic mess.

Any other coach we get would staple Skinner to the 4th line and preach defense like Krueger.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
The Sabres are basically last in their division nearing the one-third mark of the season.

For the Pegula’s and Adams to sit around with their thumbs up their ass is unacceptable.

It would be great for the fans to stage a protest before a game and not go to their seats until 5 minutes into a game. I know, I’m not trlling anyone what to do but I’d like to see the fans make a statement regarding the crap product we are seeing.
Get Wegman's to give away paper grocery bags for all the fans to wear, sit silently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad