The Sabres look really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
They are way better then they were. Dahlin and Eichel are elite players. But they scored almost half of their goals on the PP. 8 goals on 15 opportunities for 53%. They won't sustain that number. Watching them last night vs Montreal, they weren't that good 5vs5. I don't think it's their year yet, specially considering the division they play in. They are trending in the right direction tho.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
A bad game from Dahlin is still better than 90% of the rest of the league.

I'm not sure we're at that point yet. He's obviously a phenomenal player, I don't think it's controversial to say he wasn't particularly good yesterday, "awful" is for sure an overstatement but calling his performance last night "better than 90% of the league" is way too far in the other direction.

Reactions: sabresEH

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
They are way better then they were. Dahlin and Eichel are elite players. But they scored almost half of their goals on the PP. 8 goals on 15 opportunities for 53%. They won't sustain that number. Watching them last night vs Montreal, they weren't that good 5vs5. I don't think it's their year yet, specially considering the division they play in. They are trending in the right direction tho.

I thought Montreal was the better 5v5 team at first but Buffalo actually out chanced them 5v5 in all stats

Reactions: Jeremy2020

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think they look good as well. Teams can only be bad for so long before those picks start to blossom. The Sabres are among a few good young teams who I expect will start to assert themselves as the older teams start to decline.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ralph Krueger is going to be great for them. He was great in Edmonton, the roster was just historically bad. He is very well respected by the players and he has a great mind for the game. Honestly could be a top 10 coach in the league right now. Should have never been out of the NHL for this long. However, he did have a good soccer gig and likely this was the best appealing fit, Buffalo has some tremendous pieces and each coming into their own

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I thought Montreal was the better 5v5 team at first but Buffalo actually out chanced them 5v5 in all stats
Wasn't Montreal best game, but my comment had more to do then Buffalo then Montreal. Both teams gave the other teams way to many scoring chances. I think those stats are suspect tho. From what I see they gave Montreal 5 high danger chances, I think they had more just in the 3rd period... Buffalo didn't do anything in the 3rd except for the Skinner turnover and an another good shot or 2.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So last night was my first Buffalo game of the season. I am not convinced they are a playoff team yet. The division is tough, I don't think they make a spot, and the east is strong so the wildcard battle will be tough. Here are my reasons.

- I am not sold on Hutton being a guy who can play at a high level for the 60 games it would likely take

- Right now, the wins are coming on the back of an unsustainably hot PP. I was impressed with the movement and all of that, but it isn't going to run at 60% forever. In fact, if it ends the year at 30% I would be shocked.

- While this can be corrected with coaching, I am still seeing the same break downs that have costed them in previous years. Buffalo has started strong the past few years, but it seems like the consistency demanded of an 82 game season is what gets them.

Eichel had a good game, but I still saw him dogging it defensively on multiple goals. It seemed at times the team either stopped skating or forgot how to play hockey.

I am not sure if a coach is enough to overcome some of the mentality issues that have plagued the team. What is going to happen when the PP goes cold and they hit their first big losing streak? Are they going to just give up on the season like in the past? It's hard to say with new coaching.

Also is Oolf going to remain shooting 30%? What happens when their depth scoring regresses to their average?

I am not sure. Sabres are in the same tier as Edmonton for me where they need to prove it before they get the benefit of the doubt. I think a lot if going really well for them right now.

Reactions: EichHart

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I am/was/probably still will be one of the biggest haters on the moves this organization has made over the past decade, but I'll admit they look very good. Only 2 games in and a ton of time to regress, but

Eichel looks good
Dahlin looks good
Skinner looks good
Olofsson looks good
Johansson looks good
The jerseys look good
Hell even Okposo is on the board.

Well see what they do agains tthe Lightning, Leafs, Caps and Bruins, but im impressed early.

2OA
1OA
7OA
Oh, 181OA
24OA
Bring back the Buffaslug
7OA

Yeah, that's a big surprise. With only 4 of the 6 players listed being premium picks.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
So last night was my first Buffalo game of the season. I am not convinced they are a playoff team yet. The division is tough, I don't think they make a spot, and the east is strong so the wildcard battle will be tough. Here are my reasons.

- I am not sold on Hutton being a guy who can play at a high level for the 60 games it would likely take

- Right now, the wins are coming on the back of an unsustainably hot PP. I was impressed with the movement and all of that, but it isn't going to run at 60% forever. In fact, if it ends the year at 30% I would be shocked.

- While this can be corrected with coaching, I am still seeing the same break downs that have costed them in previous years. Buffalo has started strong the past few years, but it seems like the consistency demanded of an 82 game season is what gets them.

Eichel had a good game, but I still saw him dogging it defensively on multiple goals. It seemed at times the team either stopped skating or forgot how to play hockey.

I am not sure if a coach is enough to overcome some of the mentality issues that have plagued the team. What is going to happen when the PP goes cold and they hit their first big losing streak? Are they going to just give up on the season like in the past? It's hard to say with new coaching.

Also is Oolf going to remain shooting 30%? What happens when their depth scoring regresses to their average?

I am not sure. Sabres are in the same tier as Edmonton for me where they need to prove it before they get the benefit of the doubt. I think a lot if going really well for them right now.

I pretty much agree with all of this as a Sabres fan and have watched every game this year. The first 2 games none of this applies, they dominated like I've never seen them dominate. We struggle against teams like the Jackets (Great forecheck/big players) and Habs (small/fast unrelenting forecheck). I definitely see some improvement and we are missing 2 key pieces in Montour/Pilut and even Sheary due to injury. If we trade Risto for a top 6 player and slide those 2 D into the fold we should greatly improve. Johanasson has been filling the 2 C role and doing a fantastic job at it. During the next 2 years hopefully we can see Cozens slide into that slowly.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I pretty much agree with all of this as a Sabres fan and have watched every game this year. The first 2 games none of this applies, they dominated like I've never seen them dominate. We struggle against teams like the Jackets (Great forecheck/big players) and Habs (small/fast unrelenting forecheck). I definitely see some improvement and we are missing 2 key pieces in Montour/Pilut and even Sheary due to injury. If we trade Risto for a top 6 player and slide those 2 D into the fold we should greatly improve. Johanasson has been filling the 2 C role and doing a fantastic job at it. During the next 2 years hopefully we can see Cozens slide into that slowly.

Man. I am generally a fan of Risto but last night.. Yikes. That pass he made on the PK to Armia was just not NHL caliber. I hope he can figure it out for you guys or get something useful for him.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Man. I am generally a fan of Risto but last night.. Yikes. That pass he made on the PK to Armia was just not NHL caliber. I hope he can figure it out for you guys or get something useful for him.

Yeah he has all the tools in the toolbox, but has virtually zero hockey sense. He is a physical specimen, his training during the offseason is insane. But you need to make smart decisions with the puck.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I am not sold on Hutton being a guy who can play at a high level for the 60 games it would likely take

This post was created after the first two games, which we're some of the best hockey I've seen a team play in my life (unsustainable as it was). They have already begun regressing to the mean against a relentless, interference-laden forecheck of Columbus and a fast, defensively-responsible team in Montreal. FWIW, the goalies will be better this year with a competent goalie coach and a system that most players understand. Hutton & Ullmark are underwhelming as a 1A/1B pair, but shouldn't prevent them from being in the wildcard race if the rest of the team can perform.

I suspect that Olofsson's SH% will remain high. Not 30% high, but his shot is elite and he will consistently be playing with the top line and PP. Any wing is going to benefit from riding shotgun with Eichel and Reinhart, but Olofsson's skillset meshes up exceedingly well.

The scoring "depth" is five players strong (Eichel-Reinhart-Olofsson-Johansson-Skinner). This is a substantial upgrade over last year, where it was just 3 strong, but it will be an issue. The third line is a disaster (Sheary/Rodriguez-Middlestadt-Vesey), and Sobotka is somehow getting carried on the second line. There are a few players in the AHL that could make the jump (Tage Thompson & Rasmus Asplund, namely), and we could potentially trade a RD for some forward help, but depth remains as issue until then.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY

He is a very interesting player to say the least. Even under the new coach, he is still playing 25 minutes/night on the top pair. And he is still lobbing hand grenades all over the ice. Sometimes they help, sometimes they hurt.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Buffalo to me is interesting. I've watched 2 of their games this year - Columbus and Montreal. To my eye, they give up a fair bit but not a lot of stunner Grade A chances.

Look great on offense and on PP. Will be fascinating to watch.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Mittelstadt was one of the best prospects in hockey while having him on the 3rd line is a disaster now? From my limited viewing, he seemed bigger and better this season, no?

He is 21 soon, the player of his pedigree should be able to hang on to at least 3rd line duty at this point.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I am/was/probably still will be one of the biggest haters on the moves this organization has made over the past decade, but I'll admit they look very good. Only 2 games in and a ton of time to regress, but

Eichel looks good
Dahlin looks good
Skinner looks good
Olofsson looks good
Johansson looks good
The jerseys look good
Hell even Okposo is on the board.

Well see what they do agains tthe Lightning, Leafs, Caps and Bruins, but im impressed early.

Jinx activated

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Buffalo to me is interesting. I've watched 2 of their games this year - Columbus and Montreal. To my eye, they give up a fair bit but not a lot of stunner Grade A chances.

Look great on offense and on PP. Will be fascinating to watch.

Two games they didn’t play very well.

The other two they absolutely dominated

Reactions: kundahlini

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Hopefully they have a good season and make the playoffs I would like to see Eichel and Dahlin in the playoffs and who knows always the chance to see them win their 1st cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad