The Ryan White thread

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Ain't throwing him under the bus, he's having a rough year.

Wasn't a great hit and will be suspended for it. In saying that tho.. never left his feet, wasn't an elbow, and Huskin seems to stretch out his upper body/lowering his head while he's making the pass. Poorly timed hit on Whitey tho, been to much of an eager beaver all year.

Doesn't matter that he didn't leave his feet. Doesn't matter (or rather shouldn't, although Shanny has shown some idiocy about such things in the past - see Malone and Campoli last season) that Huskins was reaching for the puck. He hit a vulnerable guy in the head. Suspension, although I don't care to make a guess at what number Shanny's Wheel of Discipline will land on.

I'd like to like White. I think he brings something this team needs. But he's been wacky-nu-nu all seasons long. We have guys that play physical games. Prust. Moen (on occasion anyway). Emelin. Hell even Subban. They don't seem to lose their minds at least once a game. Watch Prust in the game against Buffalo. Kaleta - one of the league's best agitators - tries to goad him into taking an instigator. But Prust just waits him own and eventually lays a beating on him. The way White's playing he probably would've got a double minor, a major for fighting and a game. How long do we let White run around trying to learn a bit of restraint?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Not sure why everybody is freaking out, the hit on Huskins while not pretty to look at was not an elbow, charge(jump) or targeting the head. He probably targeted the shoulder and just missed and caught the chin.

It's too bad for these incidents, White seems too tenative and not playing his game this year. He should be back next year and bounce back.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
White was trying to add some energy to the team last night, was unfortunate he elbowed and hurt Huskins but at least he plays with heart unlike Moen.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why do you have to be so cruel , now no one will post in this thread :sarcasm: .

Seriously though assuming we are healthy this must be lineup for playoffs :

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Ryder
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Prust - Halpern - Moen

Subban - Markov
Diaz - Gorges
Drewiske - Bouillon

If Emelin comes back by some miracle :

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Emelin
Diaz - Bouillon
Drew
(This D gives me so much more confidence)

Emelin is going for ACL surgery so even if we go to game 7 in the cup finals he ain't coming back this year.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not sure why everybody is freaking out, the hit on Huskins while not pretty to look at was not an elbow, charge(jump) or targeting the head. He probably targeted the shoulder and just missed and caught the chin.

It's too bad for these incidents, White seems too tenative and not playing his game this year. He should be back next year and bounce back.

Yea it's all in his head. What doesn't help is that the guys with him on the fourth line are not willing to do the job so he's stuck alone, not knowing what to do and when to do it. If that line was three bangers and crasher and ***** stirrers, then he would have two guys doing stuff with him and he would not be caught doing stupid things.

idk

Jan 11, 2012

Tentative?

Does this look tentative to you?

Or this?

He has been a bit more restrained during his occasional game since then (although last night throws that all out the window) but I would hardly call that player tentative.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
White was trying to add some energy to the team last night, was unfortunate he elbowed and hurt Huskins but at least he plays with heart unlike Moen.

Not sure where you saw an elbow there. His shoulder caught the guy on the chin. Unfortunate but the hit didn't look any more mailcious than Malone on Campoli...but with the NHl consistency I expect a 5-6 game suspension.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Tentative?

Does this look tentative to you?

Or this?

He has been a bit more restrained during his occasional game since then (although last night throws that all out the window) but I would hardly call that player tentative.

I said he was playing tenative AFTER those incidents.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Not sure where you saw an elbow there. His shoulder caught the guy on the chin. Unfortunate but the hit didn't look any more mailcious than Malone on Campoli...but with the NHl consistency I expect a 5-6 game suspension.

Oops yeah was definitely a shoulder not sure why I said elbow, yeah I definitely agree.. it was more unfortunate than him intending to hurt Huskins.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's Tom Pyatt with a bit of sandpaper but challenged by both a poor hockey sense and even poorer judgment. He's looked good these last 2 years because he was an up-and-comer and Habs had nothing better on the roster, but with better management, if there's no one ready to take his spot, Bergevin will shop or trade for a better player this summer.

Dime-a-dozen player. He's gone.

Not a dime-a-dozen player on our roster or prospect pool though. Every year we wonder who's gonna be in the bottom six to help out with some of the rough stuff.
Even with White here, people still want more. Before the season started, people expected Prust-Moen-Armstrong-White to be physical and somewhat intimidating, and they still wanted an enforcer added. Moen and Armstrong have brought very little, if any, physicality this year. White started the year doing that but was penalized by his coach for essentially trying to send a message to other teams that you won't push our players without having to answer to some punches.
League wide, definitely a dime-a-dozen player, but not on our team.

But isn't that what we wanted?? A player that will go the extra distance to show teams around the league that you won't be pushing us around without having to defend yourself.

I have no issues with the way White has played. He was good early on, then Therrien made a huge thing out of it when the message White was trying to send to opponents was actually a good one. Since then, he's been pretty ineffective, and wasted.
Yesterday's hit was accidental, he goes in with his shoulders, keeping his skates on the ice, no elbow being raised, and it appears like Huskins tried to avoid him but put himself in a worse position.

I feel bad for him. He's the type of player we need but don't let him be effective. Those players will bring in some bad with indiscipline, it's normal considering their roles. You have to be able to live with that.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

I kind of agree. I bashed White earlier this year (deservedly) after both clips idk posted took place, but I don't have much of a problem with this incident.

But the bottom line is that, as a fourth liner, when you don't really have any other skills going for you aside from your energy game, you can't keep putting your team in bad spots. You just can't. You'll be out of a job before long. White has to figure out how to stay on the right side of the line while helping his team, period.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
from Chantal Machabée facebook account

"Ryan White est convoqué à une audience à la suite du coup qu'il a porté à l'endroit de Kent Huskins."

discipline hearing

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Like some others I'm losing patience. White could be the ideal Habs' 4th liner. Maybe Uncle Shanny will teach him wrong from right?

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I like White. He's a ***** and Montreal needs payers like that so that other teams look over their shoulders.
Every team has them and they play that way. Why complain about him when he's what we want Moen to be and what we want. Get more physical to be able to play vs Toronto Boston Philly ect.....

I say keep White and add few more guys like him
I tired of watching Desharnais Boullion and Gionta play like **** and not get crapped on.

Desharnais Boullion and Gionta sucks dirty donkey balls!
I hope Montreal gives them away at the draft table

Those guys get to play top minutes and don't produce.
At least Boullion tries he's just too small to play the minutes Therien plays him.

In the meantime Eller is Montreal best C rfor the last month and he's still onthe third line with Gally and a roaming winger.

Pacioretty Plekanec Ryder
Gallagher Eller Galchenyuk
Bourque Prust Gionta
White Halpern Moen
Desharnais needs to sit!

almostjesus*

I love Habs fans. I really do.

Talk about Bipolar. One minute it's "WHITES A BEAST. YEAH WHITE! SIGN HIM 25 YEARS 91 MILLION PER!"

Next minute "WHAT A MORON. TERRIBLE. BAD CHECK. NOT VERY SMART. BETTER WITHOUT HIM."

He is the only player aside from Gallagher on this team who has heart for the game.

Every player makes a mistake, White is by far not the reason we are losing or will lose in the future.

The hit was clearly a non-elbow. He did not leave his feet, I don't know how anyone is saying differently the video does not lie. It honestly looked like he was intending for a clean hit and realized it wouldn't be so he tried to slide out of the way and Huskins big dumb head was leaning forward.

White didn't even turn his shoulder into him (that's what actually hits his head) and it was the FRONT of his shoulder too which goes further to prove my point.

As the days go by I'm becoming increasingly convinced this fan base is full of 14 year olds.

Analyzer*

If White gets 5+ games I'd say that's not being very fair to him, or the habs.

Similar and worse plays have gotten less, or not even a hearing

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I love Habs fans. I really do.

Talk about Bipolar. One minute it's "WHITES A BEAST. YEAH WHITE! SIGN HIM 25 YEARS 91 MILLION PER!"

Next minute "WHAT A MORON. TERRIBLE. BAD CHECK. NOT VERY SMART. BETTER WITHOUT HIM."

He is the only player aside from Gallagher on this team who has heart for the game.

Every player makes a mistake, White is by far not the reason we are losing or will lose in the future.

The hit was clearly a non-elbow. He did not leave his feet, I don't know how anyone is saying differently the video does not lie. It honestly looked like he was intending for a clean hit and realized it wouldn't be so he tried to slide out of the way and Huskins big dumb head was leaning forward.

White didn't even turn his shoulder into him (that's what actually hits his head) and it was the FRONT of his shoulder too which goes further to prove my point.

As the days go by I'm becoming increasingly convinced this fan base is full of 14 year olds.

Maybe. But looking at the season on the whole, can you really say beyond a shadow of a doubt that White has helped us more than he's hurt us? Like I said in my previous post, when you have a limited skill set, you can't afford to be on the wrong side of that ratio.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Maybe. But looking at the season on the whole, can you really say beyond a shadow of a doubt that White has helped us more than he's hurt us? Like I said in my previous post, when you have a limited skill set, you can't afford to be on the wrong side of that ratio.

This. We can and should overlook the occasional mistake but he's been hurting more than he's been helping. I wouldn't ditch him yet, esp, since we have so few players like him, but he needs to smarten up

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This. We can and should overlook the occasional mistake but he's been hurting more than he's been helping. I wouldn't ditch him yet, esp, since we have so few players like him, but he needs to smarten up

I have a much bigger problem with the Ott incident than what he did yesterday. That was a clean attempt at a hit, he didn't go in with the elbow high or jump.

I love that our fans continuously throw Habs players under the bus and consider themselves "good fans".

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Also the way those incidents happened, he seemed not knowing how or when to do his job. Frankly I don't think Therrien is coaching him well.

if he doesnt know that, he isnt a NHL player then, these kind of player HAVE to know it for their career to last (without coach having to explain to them)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad