The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I come in peace as a fan of another team.

ROR has always been one of my favorite non-Sens. His Selke nomination has him fresh in my mind.

I was very surprised at BUF trading him a year ago. I am wondering if between that time and now, if anything came out about why they dealt him? From an on ice perspective, it didn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't think Buffalo did too bad with the return given how little they paid for ROR in the first place (that was a steal) but I don't get why they'd trade him for basically a 1st and a pretty good (but not blue chip) prospect if they didn't actually have to.

Has anything come out about why he was dealt? Was he bad in the room or something? Did he want a trade? Or is this a case of BUF management making a poor decision?

Again, disclaimer, not trying to be a dick or anything, I am seriously inquiring about info regarding this trade. I know sometimes people come over from other boards and try to start ****. Not trying to do that.

Has anything come out about why he was dealt? Not really. Botterill did mention at a press conference that the trade freed up cap space to acquire Skinner (note the trade was cap neutral in years 1+2 with no savings until year 3).

Was he bad in the room or something? This is debatable. RoR did say in an interview that at times during the season he lost his passion for the game. There have also been reports that RoR had a "woe is me" attitude that negatively effected other players.

Did he want a trade? This was never reported. You can say that his comments about losing passion for the game is an indirect way to request a trade (bit of a stretch IMO).

Or is this a case of BUF management making a poor decision? Yup...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What do you get when you cross Darcy Regier with Peter Chiarelli?
20190325_183418.jpg

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Absolutely loved Pierre burying Buffalo in the Winnipeg game last night. Always great to see Buffalo in a negative light :rolleyes:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I used to get raked for putting ROR on the same level as Bergeron... even when backing it up with data.
Yup, imagine if RoR had Pastranak and Marchand to play with. He'dbe racking up the points.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
ROR and a Competent Coach this past year, and we're one of the best teams in the league.

We'd have a top 6 going into next year of:

Olofsson Eichel ERod/Nylander
Skinner ROR Reinhart

Add that to a Top 4 of:

Dahlin Montour
Pilut Risto/Bogo

It's inconceivable that we couldn't get more out of a Selke caliber player (in his prime), and a point per game offensive Center nearing his prime. Many teams in the league would kill for that kind of center depth, especially to bring up a stud prospect behind. It goes to show you how important strong coaching, and respectable depth players are. Things Botts was too slow to react to or too incompetent to realize. I'm not sure the goalies really factor into this equation all that much.

It's all very depressing, with no real answers in sight to fix this now gaping hole. I still think Botts needs to be held accountable next off-season if he doesn't somehow find some Center Depth again.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
ROR and a Competent Coach this past year, and we're one of the best teams in the league.

We'd have a top 6 going into next year of:

Olofsson Eichel ERod/Nylander
Skinner ROR Reinhart

Add that to a Top 4 of:

Dahlin Montour
Pilut Risto/Bogo

It's inconceivable that we couldn't get more out of a Selke caliber player (in his prime), and a point per game offensive Center nearing his prime. Many teams in the league would kill for that kind of center depth, especially to bring up a stud prospect behind. It goes to show you how important strong coaching, and respectable depth players are. Things Botts was too slow to react to or too incompetent to realize. I'm not sure the goalies really factor into this equation all that much.

It's all very depressing, with no real answers in sight to fix this now gaping hole. I still think Botts needs to be held accountable next off-season if he doesn't somehow find some Center Depth again.

Even without Skinner, Sheary-ROR-Reinhart would've been a really really effective and two-way force of a line.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Even without Skinner, Sheary-ROR-Reinhart would've been a really really effective and two-way force of a line.
True...having that kind of center depth allows you to not overpay wingers. Sheary with ROR is a 20 Goal guy. With Mittelstadt, you saw the results.

Our brilliant leaders saw it fit to saddle ROR with Okposo for a couple years, even if it really never worked great. We saw how good ROR could be during the second half of last year with Reinhart on his wing. I believe he was over a point per game during that time, just like he was this year.

All we needed to do was create two solid "pairs" in the top 6, and then give each line a respectable fore-checker, even a Girgs, and let them go to work. We could all see that the 2017-18 Sabres lacked puck moving d-men, and maybe needed to add another goal scorer or two. Trading who might've been their best player (if not, very close) for scraps will haunt us for a long long time.

Adding ROR into this year's lineup would certainly have made us better, but not sure Housley would ever know how to use him (or anyone) properly. I truly feel that with a good coach, and the Center Spine we could've had, we'd be entering our golden age next year with maybe just a couple of tweaks to the roster. Botts now has to fix a roster that has no depth anywhere and find an unproven coach that can get this roster moving in the right direction.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sheary's lack of finish would be absolutely infuriating on that line.

He wouldn't need to be relied upon to be a finisher. With that said, I think he has a better opportunity to finish the chances ROR-Reinhart creates. It would've been a more balanced line with 3 smart players.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He wouldn't need to be relied upon to be a finisher. With that said, I think he has a better opportunity to finish the chances ROR-Reinhart creates. It would've been a more balanced line with 3 smart players.
I disagree. A finisher is what ROR and Reinhart always needed at LW. Their goal differential lagged behind their shot-based metrics by a lot because of the lack of shooting talent between the 2 of them.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I disagree. A finisher is what ROR and Reinhart always needed at LW. Their goal differential lagged behind their shot-based metrics by a lot because of the lack of shooting talent between the 2 of them.

I would disagree again, as I believe they needed a 3rd Competent player on their line, to allow one of them to get free in space. I think ROR and Reinhart are fine at shooting, but they always lacked, not just a finisher, but someone who can read what those two were doing consistently and open themselves up to move the action to their side. If they had that they could cycle and would be capable of dangerous chances from either side of the ice. The puck tended to lean heavily on the RW side of the ice. If they had a LW that was capable of controlling the puck, the play would be able to open up space and ice for either ROR or Reinhart to get themselves open. If we just had a finisher on the LW, the play would still be heavily on the RW side of the, which makes that line much easier to cover. With the way teams clog the middle of the ice, you need as many competent puck possessive players on your roster as possible.

Reactions: Zman5778

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

But culture
I guess someone (NBCSN) was wrong...

The only thing which helps me sleep at night is surmising that Pegulas wanted ROR gone for some reason other than the signing bonus and the locker room cleanout comments. If Botts made that decision on his own, he deserves to be pilloried. If Pegulas directed it for a $$$ reason, they are being two-faced w.r.t. the investments they've made in WNY and their sports franchises. If Pegulas directed it due to the locker room cleanout comments, they're too thin-skinned.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I guess someone (NBCSN) was wrong...

The only thing which helps me sleep at night is surmising that Pegulas wanted ROR gone for some reason other than the signing bonus and the locker room cleanout comments. If Botts made that decision on his own, he deserves to be pilloried. If Pegulas directed it for a $$$ reason, they are being two-faced w.r.t. the investments they've made in WNY and their sports franchises. If Pegulas directed it due to the locker room cleanout comments, they're too thin-skinned.

It helps you sleep at night to surmise a reason even dumber then the commonly thought of dumb reasons?

Reactions: Baccus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad