The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Coburn has been awful but trading him based on this 30 game lockout season sample size is probably not a step in the right direction for our defense. When he's playing well (and I know consistency has been a major issue for Coburn) he and Grossmann are a very effective 2nd pairing shut down tandem, even if they are a little overpaid between the two of them.

We already have 2 dead spots on defense that are screaming for NHL caliber players to fill them (1 if Meszaros can stay healthy and productive at the same time), no need to create another gaping hole to fill during the offseason. Odds are we wouldn't get a better player than Coburn and would still have to pay as much (or more).

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
The Rangers, Islanders and Bruins are up this week. We should see movement this week, especially if two of the three games are losses. I haven't been able to confirm 100%, but a few of the folks I talked have said that if all three games end up as losses, that the Flyers are going to ask Timonen to waive his NTC/NMC and to provide a list of teams he would move to. Things could get real interesting.

And what if they get a point in all 3?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Coburn has been awful but trading him based on this 30 game lockout season sample size is probably not a step in the right direction for our defense. When he's playing well (and I know consistency has been a major issue for Coburn) he and Grossmann are a very effective 2nd pairing shut down tandem, even if they are a little overpaid between the two of them.

We already have 2 dead spots on defense that are screaming for NHL caliber players to fill them (1 if Meszaros can stay healthy and productive at the same time), no need to create another gaping hole to fill during the offseason. Odds are we wouldn't get a better player than Coburn and would still have to pay as much (or more).

I've been saying that for weeks. People don't understand this for some reason. If you trade Coburn, you might as well trade Hartnell, Talbot, and anyone else over the age of 30 and do a complete rebuild. This team does not need a complete rebuild. They need help, for sure. But trading one of their top defenders, presumably for picks and prospects when he signed to a good deal for years to come, is absolutely not a good idea.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Agreed. I also find it hard to believe that the Flyers would sign him to an expensive extension for next year and then move him.

This is all about Timonen getting his name on a Stanley Cup. If the Flyers think that they aren't in a position to win this year (as well as next), they don't want him in his last few years to be on a retooling club. Timonen has been very good to the Flyers and vice versa. From what I also heard, this was discussed at the time Timonen signed the extension as well, so it's not a complete surprise.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I've been saying that for weeks. People don't understand this for some reason. If you trade Coburn, you might as well trade Hartnell, Talbot, and anyone else over the age of 30 and do a complete rebuild. This team does not need a complete rebuild. They need help, for sure. But trading one of their top defenders, presumably for picks and prospects when he signed to a good deal for years to come, is absolutely not a good idea.

I just don't think Coburn is that good. In beast-angry mode he's class but that's what...3 times a year? Trade him for someone who will use his size more often.

RJ8812*

disagree

you think he's only been bad for 30 games? He was bad last season as well (until Grossmann came in) and the season before that he was very inconsistent. Coburn is the kind of guy that I wouldnt announce to the league that he's available, but if a team made a good offer for him, I'd be all over it.

Coburn is not as good as people think he is. Just because he goes in a so called "beast mode" for 5 games out of the entire year, doesnt mean we should hold onto him.

Available:
-Briere
-Bryzgalov (won't get anything for him though)
-Fedotenko
-Foster
-Gagne (I don't the organization would trade him though)
-Gervais
-Knuble
-Leighton
-Meszaros
-Shelley :)laugh:)
-Zornierczyk

Porentially Available:
-Gustafsson
-Hartnell
-Read
-Talbot
-Timonen

Untouchable:
-Coburn
-Couturier
-Giroux
-Grossmann
-Rinaldo (too valuable to this team ATM)
-B. Schenn
-L. Schenn
-Simmonds
-Voracek

The only guys that can fetch us a good return are Briere and Meszaros.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This is all about Timonen getting his name on a Stanley Cup. If the Flyers think that they aren't in a position to win this year (as well as next), they don't want him in his last few years to be on a retooling club. Timonen has been very good to the Flyers and vice versa. From what I also heard, this was discussed at the time Timonen signed the extension as well, so it's not a complete surprise.

Not to doubt you, I just find it hard to believe. He cited his kids as the predominant reason he wanted to stay and signed the extension. I doubt he would be willing to relocate or leave his family behind for a 1 year and half. Hopefull your right but I have a feeling the big sell off some including myself are hoping for, Briere, Meszarous ect, isn't really going to happen.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Tyler Myers supposedly available? This was news last week. It's tough to gauge the price for him though. If the Flyers were ever to deal him, they would need to send salary back. So almost certainly it would be Mez. The value beyond that is a big ???

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Nay from me.

I just can't risk trading that youth on a "guess" he will turn it around here. That cap hit could be a huge problem down the road if he continues to struggle like he has.

Its a risky deal--for both sides. If Couturier turns into a 1C and Myers lingers as a 2nd pairing D, its a bad deal. If Myers figures it out, there's basically no way for Buffalo to win the trade. If both players hit their realistic peaks, then I think we win.

Myers is only 23, so I don't see moving youth as as a key concern here. Of course, his contract could become a problem if he shows no improvement whatsoever, but if you look at what 5.5 gets you on the market, it isn't very promising.

I can't think of any defenseman with a higher upside that we can realistically get for Couturier than Myers. That doesn't mean it is an easy yes, but I think it is something worth thinking about.

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Danny Briere ($6.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.500m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.660m) / Luke Adam ($0.875m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.851m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
Chris Pronger ($4.936m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
BACKUP GOALIE ($0.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,260,381; BONUSES: $2,562,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $2,397,881

I'd assume we would still buy out Briere, but that number also includes Pronger, so there's some room for other moves.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Tyler Myers supposedly available? This was news last week. It's tough to gauge the price for him though. If the Flyers were ever to deal him, they would need to send salary back. So almost certainly it would be Mez. The value beyond that is a big ???

I doubt he is available. Buffalo just paid him 12 million this year and now the actual dollars will go down. So why trade him? Its not like Buffalo is flush with top quality defensemen. Unless they are looking for a homerun to rebuilt that team. So even if he is available, the price would far out weigh his performance lately.

This time of year can be really annoying. Hit seakers and attention whores, and that does include nationally writers, throw all sorts of names out there and yet only bit guys are traded. Even the guys on TSN have to draw in viewers to a day long program that usually amounts to discussing Fedetenkos impact on Boston's penalty killing unit and 4th line. Brenden morrow is considered a big time trade yet he only plays 15 minutes a night and is a 3rd liner at this point. There is going to be a ton of surprise guys "available" in the next week, yet none of them will be traded. Fact is, since the lockout of 2004, the trade deadline has been a dud.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I just don't think Coburn is that good. In beast-angry mode he's class but that's what...3 times a year? Trade him for someone who will use his size more often.

He's a top four defender by any stretch of the imagination. It would be unlikely that the Flyers would be able to replace him without overpaying for someone. He may be having a down year, but he is a top four defender signed long term to a reasonable contract.

Who replaces him if we trade him?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
One thing I will say about Myers is he does fit the criteria a lot of fans want. He is a top end potential #1 and he falls right in line with our youth. 23 years old and will continue to get better hopefully.

One potential scenario I could us trading Couts for Myers is after the draft. If we pick 2-6 and select a top end center prospect, one of our young centers could perhaps become trade bait for a top end talent. Of course with Couts recent struggles this year he is everyone's first option. I hate giving up top end talent like Couts, but if we get another young center prospect(Especially if its Mac, Drouin, Barkov) we could afford to shop one of them around for a defenseman.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He's a top four defender by any stretch of the imagination. It would be unlikely that the Flyers would be able to replace him without overpaying for someone. He may be having a down year, but he is a top four defender signed long term to a reasonable contract.

Who replaces him if we trade him?

He hasnt played like a middle pairing guy. Coburn is easily the most frustrating player on the roster. The guy has a high end skill set. Instead all I see is a bigger Randy Jones.

RJ8812*

He hasnt played like a middle pairing guy. Coburn is easily the most frustrating player on the roster. The guy has a high end skill set. Instead all I see is a bigger Randy Jones.

I hate hearing his name but, wow, it's so true

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/316239460536811521

#Pens finalizing a trade for #Sharks Douglas Murray. Latest talk I heard was draft picks involving 2 2nd rounds or 2nd/ 3rd. #tradetracker

Really for Douglas Murray. Honestly if he can get this type of return, Mez should be able to get a first. Quincey last year got a first rounder and he is not as good as Mez.

Two second rounders going San Joses way. What a high price for Murray.

This right here is why I also think we should wait till the off season for a defenseman. Off season trades are more "hockey trades" than over paying for certain players.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If the Flyers become sellers, the Penguins going all in would help them as other teams would want to keep pace. That's if the Flyers become serious sellers.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I can't wait to see Homer as a seller at the trade deadline. It's all up to Danny to waive that NMC. You won't be here next year anyway, Danny. Just do yourself a favor by going to a playoff-bound team for a shot this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad