The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
Oh gawd. D Leed thinks the Flyers brass thinks that they are just a few pieces away for competing this season. If they truly think this, I know they have no idea what the hell they are doing.

Say bye bye to the 1st round pick

I don't buy it, we would have done more than pick up Gagne weeks ago if that were the case

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Oh gawd. D Leed thinks the Flyers brass thinks that they are just a few pieces away for competing this season. If they truly think this, I know they have no idea what the hell they are doing.

I would get a little nervous after hearing that, but it's D. Leed saying this.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

I think you read what you wanted to out of his tweet. He didnt say "this season", and I didnt take it as implying that either with his follow up tweets. :dunno:

Flyers' brass likely thinks that this team is a couple pieces away - and they are - which is why they pushed so hard last offseason for help
11:16pm - 24 Mar 13

Tough call for Flyers' management right now with trade deadline closing in on nine days away. I'd look for them to make "hockey deals"
11:19pm - 24 Mar 13

I think most Philly fans fear the "panic" move at deadline -- moving future for aging help now. Don't think it'll happen.
11:22pm - 24 Mar 13

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think you read what you wanted to out of his tweet. He didnt say "this season", and I didnt take it as implying that either with his follow up tweets. :dunno:

Flyers' brass likely thinks that this team is a couple pieces away - and they are - which is why they pushed so hard last offseason for help

Tough call for Flyers' management right now with trade deadline closing in on nine days away. I'd look for them to make "hockey deals"

I think most Philly fans fear the "panic" move at deadline -- moving future for aging help now. Don't think it'll happen.

He also said Briere would waive his NTC if its the right deal FWIW.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

He also said last summer the Matt Carle had resigned and the Flyers were waiting to announce it.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The Rangers, Islanders and Bruins are up this week. We should see movement this week, especially if two of the three games are losses. I haven't been able to confirm 100%, but a few of the folks I talked have said that if all three games end up as losses, that the Flyers are going to ask Timonen to waive his NTC/NMC and to provide a list of teams he would move to. Things could get real interesting.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The Rangers, Islanders and Bruins are up this week. We should see movement this week, especially if two of the three games are losses. I haven't been able to confirm 100%, but a few of the folks I talked have said that if all three games end up as losses, that the Flyers are going to ask Timonen to waive his NTC/NMC and to provide a list of teams he would move to. Things could get real interesting.

I'd be cool with that. I love Timonen, but I figured he was going to retire this year anyway. Was happy when they re-signed him, but at $6 million next season, that is going to be a tough trade to make methinks.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Anyone have interest in signing 2/3 of the Hawks third line? Bickell and Stalberg have more even strength points then anyone outside of Voracek on this team. Both are relatively young in the UFA pool at 27. Thoughts?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I find it extremely hard to believe Kimmo would sign an extension then agree to waive his NTC.

Agreed. I also find it hard to believe that the Flyers would sign him to an expensive extension for next year and then move him.

I could see it. I don't necessarily think it is likely, but I think it is a real possibility. Timonen seems like the kind of player that wants a Cup. He has played for so long and gotten so close. He signed the extension, presumably, for one last shot at the Cup. He isn't going to get it this year in Philly and I'm not sure how likely it is that he has that shot next year either here. If a contender wants him I could see him waiving and playing out his career there. I think the real hurdle is going to be finding a team willing to pay him $6 million next year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The Flyers organization never will give up on next season. Why would they trade Kimmo? They will go into the off season planning on being a legitimate contender yet again for the Stanley Cup. They will try desperately to make the moves to prove it as well. Two things this team desperately needs right now. A proven top pairing defenseman that can run a powerplay. Kieth Yandle fits this to a t. He would cost a pretty penny, but we aren't so sure how we will feel about that cost until the off season and the draft. Right now we sit at #4 and there is some pretty elite talent there for the taking. I believe that it has been reported they are looking for a bonafid sniper to play with Giroux too. If the season continues to unravel, I will say one thing, the off season won't be boring.

Kimmo most likely isn't going to be moved because that would mean the Flyers feel next year they will be retooling(rebuilding) still and need to develop. In all of my years following the Flyers, they never have had that attitude going into a season.

But I will say we never know with Homer. Kimmo also might feel like he wants a chance at a cup and the Flyers won't give that to him. There are possibilities, but I still think Kimmo is here to retire a Flyer.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...ttractive-to-a-cup-contender-or-anybody-else/

Dan Boyle’s name keeps coming up at the trade deadline. He’s a power-play point guy, puck-mover, competitive — but he also turns 37 in July and will make $6.6 million next season. He’d be excellent in Philadelphia where they’re crying for offence, but again there’s his age and price-point.

The Flyers would certainly deal Danny Briere, who has only one goal in the last 14 games, but he has a no-move contract and feels he’ll be an amnesty buyout this summer anyway (he’d be making 10 per cent of the new salary cap); then he can decide where he wants to play as a free-agent. He’s also had off-ice issues (divorce) and wants to be around his kids. The Flyers would move struggling defenceman Braydon Coburn but at $4.5 million a year for the next three years and the salary cap dropping from $70.2 million to $64.3 million next year, teams don’t want to commit to big money or long term.

The last part I find hard to believe about Coburn. I think there is plenty of teams out there that would love to have Coburn. 4.5 million is not that bad of a cap hit, and if people are willing to take Jaybo and others, Coburn shouldn't have a problem finding a new home. Of course if this rumor is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad